• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battrick Commentary

What do you think of the standard of commentary in Battrick?

• Total voters

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
It is just the bunch of idiots writing the commentary making it bad. There will be more in the database now with it open all season. So,So, repetitive.

Majin

International Debutant
Love the BT Commentary, cracks me up on a regular basis. Better than "same line of commentary 3 times in one over" FTP at any rate

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the commentary per se, it's more to do with the frequency at which fairly unlikely events occur. For example, even playing in a blind cricket league, in RL I never see players being hit by the ball on such a regular basis - Okay, short leg and the WK might cop a few, but maybe that'll happen twice or three times a match, not two or three times an over! Similarly, despite being the most technically correct (boring) batsman on my team, in nineteen years of playing, I've hit the non-striker's stumps with a straight drive precisely once! I remember because sadly the bowler got a hand to it, and ran out my partner - I wasn't the most popular boy in the pub that night!

And in those nineteen years, I've never seen anyone get bowled, only for the bails not to fall. Mind you, that's probably because, in my league, we play with fixed stumps, so if the ball hits the wicket you're out regardless! - Though that causes a whole other series of arguments over whether the ball hit the face of the stumps, (which is clearly out), or the side or base, which is not out, as they wouldn't be there on an ordinary set of stumps. This is a particular bone of contention for me, being a left-arm chinaman bowler, turning it into the stumps. Though I bowl people so rarely that personally I reckon they should be given out if I beat the bat, let alone hit any part of the stumps.

The only similar event I can recall in test cricket was when Dominic Corke, against The West Indies in 1995, knocked his bails off while playing a cut to Ambrose. Nobody, including Corke, realised, and they ran two. When Corke got back to the striker's end, he simply replaced the bails and went on to get a fifty! Only TV replays showed what had happened, and Corke maintains to this day that he was as clueless as everyone else.

But my point being that, in about twenty-five years of watching test cricket, I can only recall one, slightly similar, event, so it shouldn't happen in BT every other over!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen people being bowled without the bails falling of numerous occasions in my career...
I've seen a lot of people leave the field injured because they got hit...(i've hit someone to the hospital once..he dropped the catch I gave him )

I've hit the stumps of the non strikers end quite a lot...but indeed not 3 times an over!(same with people being hit and the bails not falling off)

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
I much prefer these funny lines each over than the borin commentary like, Back foot defense, dot ball. What would u prefer.

nibbs

International Captain
the only funny piece of commentary is the one where the guy takes the catches clutching the ball in the scrotal area, lol.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I much prefer these funny lines each over than the borin commentary like, Back foot defense, dot ball. What would u prefer.
That they actually update tyhe match engine so thing like run outs on the second or third run become possible

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
That they actually update tyhe match engine so thing like run outs on the second or third run become possible
Good point there. And they need to incorporate appropriate commentary somehow. Last ball, I needed 4 to win, and he leaves it outside off. A more suitable line would be, Big swing No ding, or sumfink along those lines.

And non-strker can get run out.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Few of them are real good like this one:
That ball was just like my ex-wife. Short, wide and slow. Wilson decides to leave it alone. I wish I'd done the same.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good point there. And they need to incorporate appropriate commentary somehow. Last ball, I needed 4 to win, and he leaves it outside off. A more suitable line would be, Big swing No ding, or sumfink along those lines.

And non-strker can get run out.
Its looks so awful to read. One ball six to win and he says firmly defended off the back foot! WTF?

timet

Cricket Spectator
The BT commentary isn't too bad (rarely do I read the same play twice), but the player names could be better !

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The BT commentary isn't too bad (rarely do I read the same play twice), but the player names could be better !
As a BCC rep let me categorically state that changes are supposed to come thru next season.