• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [19/01/09] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
End of Over 16: 45-0, runrate=2.81, reqrunrate=2.59 (132-10)
Drury 1-0-3-0
Armstrong* 21 (43 balls)
Packer 24 (53 balls)

I'm fairly amazed I haven't lost a wicket, their two opening bowlers get miraculous seam (they bowled 7 each at the start). There's a good solid spinner as well just on but the other two are dross. A win will seal the division.

Meanwhile on the transfer market I've landed:

Dean Patel (50209)

RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, changeable
A destructive player with respectable leadership skills and strong experience.

Plays For: Scaly Piscine CC
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 151,376
Wages: £36,373 p/w

Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: feeble
Batting: strong Concentration: miraculous
Bowling: wonderful Consistency: exquisite
Fielding: strong

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Made a couple of signings myself today. I sold my 29 year old LF bowler Swift (competent/feeble with feeble stamina) for 16k yesterday and got this guy as a replacement for 18k:

15. Jermaine Westwood (923155)
RH Batsman, LFM Bowler, feeble batting form, worthless bowling form, changeable
A steady player with woeful leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: The Heath CC
Nationality: West Indies
Battrick Rating: 2,019 (+83)
Wages: £436 p/w

Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: abysmal
Bowling: competent Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: abysmal

I'll train his stamina up to mediocre - with a few extra years on his side, I'm pretty pleased with him as a replacement, although I would like an out and out fast bowler as well.

I've also signed this guy to replace my backup mediocre/woeful spinner

Eddie Hennessy (1355428)
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, worthless batting form, respectable bowling form, changeable
A cautious player with strong leadership skills and woeful experience.

Plays For: The Heath CC
Battrick Rating: 3,712 (-62)
Wages: £558 p/w

Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: mediocre Concentration: feeble
Bowling: competent Consistency: feeble
Fielding: feeble

Likewise, I'll train his stamina up to mediocre as well, and coupled with a bit of batting ability (no.8 or 9 in my lineup) and his strong leadership, I was pleased to get him without too much of a fight for 20k.

Scaly piscine

It's not worth training their stamina, they're worth very little and with more stamina they'll still be worth very little. If you're concerned about PFL you could simply buy another player like those two for <50k, which is less than the value of one net session if you use it wisely.

Scaly piscine

End of Over 32: 116-0, runrate=3.63, reqrunrate=0.94 (132-10)
Adams 4-0-19-0
Packer* 49 (96 balls)
Armstrong 65 (96 balls)

Cruising to the divison title.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
It's not worth training their stamina, they're worth very little and with more stamina they'll still be worth very little. If you're concerned about PFL you could simply buy another player like those two for <50k, which is less than the value of one net session if you use it wisely.
Thanks for the advice. I only want to train them to mediocre stamina as I have a policy of not playing anyone with anything less than that in my team, especially with FC cricket around the corner. I've also found that players with mediocre stamina have performed significantly better in my league than players with feeble stamina. For example, my opening batsman Grant started the season with feeble stamina and made a couple of centuries but was out in the last 10-15 overs. He has since been trained up to mediocre, and has carried his bat in two of my last three games for scores of 210* and 142* respectively.

I will take your advice on board though, and congratulations on winning your division!

Scaly piscine

Yea the stamina will make a difference for opening batsmen, they will slow down if they bat long enough with feeble stamina. But this problem doesn't really crop up lower down the order because they're not in long enough. As for bowling it shouldn't be a problem unless the players bowl through in one go.

It's definitely worth training your best players up in stamina tho, I'd concentrate on getting your best players up, particularly players who're being trained and have the potential to be really good players for you in the future and particularly bowling & batting all-rounders.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
**** lashed another hundred (His record now in the league is 6 tons and 6 fifties in 13 games), as the Zebras cruised to 306 and secured their place in the league.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
End of Over 16: 45-0, runrate=2.81, reqrunrate=2.59 (132-10)
Drury 1-0-3-0
Armstrong* 21 (43 balls)
Packer 24 (53 balls)

I'm fairly amazed I haven't lost a wicket, their two opening bowlers get miraculous seam (they bowled 7 each at the start). There's a good solid spinner as well just on but the other two are dross. A win will seal the division.

Meanwhile on the transfer market I've landed:

Dean Patel (50209)

RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, changeable
A destructive player with respectable leadership skills and strong experience.

Plays For: Scaly Piscine CC
Battrick Rating: 151,376
Wages: £36,373 p/w

Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: feeble
Batting: strong Concentration: miraculous
Bowling: wonderful Consistency: exquisite
Fielding: strong
A destructive player with high secondaries, an interesting combination. Bowling attack is going to be extremely scary. But it should interesting to see how you batting goes with 5 batsmen (3 all rounders). Plus whoever you get for current 5th bowlers' sale.

DCC_legend

International Regular
End of Over 47: 266-4, runrate=5.66, reqrunrate=6.33 (284-7)
Holland 9-0-62-1
Mubarak* 25 (19 balls)
Buffong 27 (10 balls)

Last Wicket: Robertson c. Padayachie b. Shackell 74 (FOW: 225/4)

Getting exciting in my match. For some reason the younger players had been picked for the friendly on sunday and managed to pick themselves for this match too.

EDIT: we need 15 runs off the last 2 overs!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Went back to losing by 100 runs.

Disneyland 6/318(50) - Jeithoon 3/55(10), Obeysekara 2/57(10), Sishayi 1/79(10)

beat

Jaffna Jets 10/215 - Quintin 79(84), Ellis 53(50), Allison 42(55)

Strong/Respectable (Bat), Proficient/Competent (Bowl).

DCC_legend

International Regular
YEEEAHHH!! Won with 1 ball to spare :D

And that's the end of the match. Dee Crew won by 6 wickets.
The Xorbis 284-7
Dee Crew 287-4

End of Over 50: 287-4, runrate=5.74
Shackell 9-1-49-1
Mubarak* 35 (28 balls)
Buffong* 38 (18 balls)

Buffong and Mubarak playing awesomely towards the end!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Just got home to this scorecard:

Badlands won the toss and elected to field.
Pitch: Slow

End of Over 18: 70-5, runrate=3.89, reqrunrate=5.44 (243-10)
Downer 9-1-34-3
Phillips* 27 (36 balls)
Beadle 0 (4 balls)

Last Wicket: Dobinson lbw b. Downer 5 (FOW: 70/5)

Quite happy with that, into the tail already with Phillips the only real batsman remaining. My batting was somewhat dodgy (three wickets in the first two overs) but the bowling has been good as usual. Whitehorne still yet to bowl a ball.

A win should virtually secure the title, there is a slight possibility of me still coming second if I get absolutely thrashed next week and the no. 2 team dispenses a thrashing of similar proportions. It's unlikely though.

Edit: and Downer has just dismissed Phillips. Gun. And another.

Last edited:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Yea the stamina will make a difference for opening batsmen, they will slow down if they bat long enough with feeble stamina. But this problem doesn't really crop up lower down the order because they're not in long enough. As for bowling it shouldn't be a problem unless the players bowl through in one go.

It's definitely worth training your best players up in stamina tho, I'd concentrate on getting your best players up, particularly players who're being trained and have the potential to be really good players for you in the future and particularly bowling & batting all-rounders.
Ok, I'll bear that in mind! Would you mind having a look at my trainees and training regime and see what you think?

3. Colin Thorpe - 17 yo, BT Rating=5,308
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, strong bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with proficient leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: respectable Concentration: feeble
Bowling: worthless Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: woeful

1 bat, 1 field

5. Mathew Kepler - 17 yo, BT Rating=6,101
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, worthless batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A destructive player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: mediocre
Batting: respectable Concentration: competent
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: woeful
Fielding: woeful

1 bat, 1 field

11. Danny Woods - 17 yo, BT Rating=5,916
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A steady player with mediocre leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Batting: worthless Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: competent Consistency: competent

1 bowl, 1 field

17. Bill Hardy - 17 yo, BT Rating=4,210
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, respectable batting form, strong bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with woeful leadership skills and worthless experience.
Batting: woeful Concentration: woeful
Bowling: competent Consistency: mediocre

1 bowl, 1 field

I also have two floating stamina nets, one of which is currently on Woods, the other of which is currently on another trainee I bought and am training up for the duration of his contract before hopefully selling him on for a decent profit.

I'm unsure as to what to do at the end of the season. With the TM going so mad at the moment, I might not buy 17 year olds at the start of this season and just carry on training these guys instead. Alternatively I could sell one of each and carry on training two whilst buying in 1 or 2 new 17 year olds. What would you recommend?

Scaly piscine

I wouldn't bother giving any of them fielding nets, I might give Kepler a w/k net depending on what your current keeper is like. I'd be inclined to sell one of those trainees and go with double primary nets on the remaining 3, with any left over being nets being fitness nets til you get the stamina up to a good level. At 19/20 drop to one primary net, they should be quality-wonderful by then with high stamina. The secondaries might be lagging behind a bit by then but they'll gradually catch up when they're one netted.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i can not believe i just lost my league game on the last ball when they hit a 4. they needed 8 to win of the last over chasing 297 for victory, and this is how the over went

ball 1.......single
ball 2.......single
ball 3.......single
ball 4........single
ball 5........single
ball 6.....needing 3 to win he hits a 4

can not believe it. it drops me down to 6th from 3rd. close comp....

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I wouldn't bother giving any of them fielding nets, I might give Kepler a w/k net depending on what your current keeper is like. I'd be inclined to sell one of those trainees and go with double primary nets on the remaining 3, with any left over being nets being fitness nets til you get the stamina up to a good level. At 19/20 drop to one primary net, they should be quality-wonderful by then with high stamina. The secondaries might be lagging behind a bit by then but they'll gradually catch up when they're one netted.
My current keeper has competent keeping with comp/med batting - do you reckon it's worth giving Kepler a wk net then? I have toyed with the idea in the past.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just brought this guy as my 5th bowler for 2.3 mil, should be handy for 1-2 seasons. I'm going to sell a couple of my respectable players soon though, as i have no money to pay wages ATM.

Code:
Vince Matharu (356327)

LH Batsman, LFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
An attacking player with feeble leadership skills and feeble experience. 

Plays For: Jaffna Jets 
Battrick Rating: 15,955 
Wages: £2,001 p/w 

Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: abysmal 
Batting: abysmal Concentration: mediocre 
Bowling: strong Consistency: strong 
Fielding: mediocre

Scaly piscine

My current keeper has competent keeping with comp/med batting - do you reckon it's worth giving Kepler a wk net then? I have toyed with the idea in the past.
Definitely, wicket-keeping pops fast, 6-7 weeks or something for 17yos. He'll be a nice player for you in the future.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Haha. Just checked the result. Chased 324 in the last over despite Herbert getting out for 12. :D

Edit

Code:
	3wide.com Strike CC 	Dynamo Morpork
Top Order: 	exceptional 	remarkable
Middle Order: 	proficient 	competent
Lower Order: 	feeble 	abysmal
Seam Bowling: 	strong 	respectable
Spin Bowling: 	wonderful 	strong
Fielding: 	competent 	feeble
Dusty wicket.

I'm so lucky... :D

Status