• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [19/01/09] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

panesarpower

Cricket Spectator
Haha, I don't see what's hard about saying it's a friend's team, rather than claiming the YP as your own even after Rob mentioned that the player couldn't have been yours.
Sorry, was changing/adding too my post.

Because it's easier to just say my youth player....in future I shall remember to be etiquettely correct.

Had I known someone would call me a liar (about the player existing) then do some research on me (bizarre), I still would have done the same :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
So it's a friend, so what?
There's nothing particularly difficult about saying "my friend got this YP" instead of saying "I usually get total rubbish, couldn't believe got this guy!". Surely you can understand the confusion?

Not sure what the hell you're getting at with the rest of your post.

Edit: gah, stop changing your posts.

panesarpower

Cricket Spectator
There's nothing particularly difficult about saying "my friend got this YP" instead of saying "I usually get total rubbish, couldn't believe got this guy!". Surely you can understand the confusion?

Not sure what the hell you're getting at with the rest of your post.

Edit: gah, stop changing your posts.
Of course Adam, but I really thought it would be as easy as too come in, go out and on we go.

I'm a relative newbie to the forum, I had hoped to be cut some slack whilst I found my feet.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course Adam, but I really thought it would be as easy as too come in, go out and on we go.

I'm a relative newbie to the forum, I had hoped to be cut some slack whilst I found my feet.
It just seems like a really strange thing to do, claiming someone else's player as your own on a game where having multiple teams will result in your team getting locked. It's not as though it's particularly difficult to demonstrate that the player isn't yours either, so I don't know why you wouldn't just mention that it isn't your player.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Mahindinho would remember this bloke.

Ed Shafilshuna - 18 yo, BT Rating=8,487
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, strong batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A destructive player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: worthless
Bowling: strong Consistency: competent
Fielding: woeful
Oh yes, the Shaf! Nice to see that he's putting in some hard work in the nets -- he was a reet lazy bugger when I had him.

panesarpower

Cricket Spectator
It just seems like a really strange thing to do, claiming someone else's player as your own on a game where having multiple teams will result in your team getting locked. It's not as though it's particularly difficult to demonstrate that the player isn't yours either, so I don't know why you wouldn't just mention that it isn't your player.
Maybe maybe. Girly naivety maybe.

I shall remember for next time, or even get the person to ask for themselves.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
panesarpower, what you might not realise is just how much of a stigma there is in Battrick against managing multiple teams. It's completely against the rules -- even just logging in and sorting out their youth pulls is banned. Understood, you might not be doing anything that isn't in the spirit of the game...but then again, you might be, and without a blanket ban there'd be no effective way of stopping the cheats.

As far as the male/female thing goes, well, you're on an internet message board about a male-dominated sport. Unless there's an indication otherwise (e.g. calling yourself Talulah or entering your *** in yer profile), it'll be assumed that you're a bloke.

You think that's annoying? I get people who know my _real_ name thinking I'm female. Which I'm not. This is usually before they've met me*, with the exception of the NHS, who really should know better.

* Friday nights down Canal Street notwithstanding, naturally ;)

Oh, BTW, welcome to the board.

Last edited:

panesarpower

Cricket Spectator
panesarpower, what you might not realise is just how much of a stigma there is in Battrick against managing multiple teams. It's completely against the rules -- even just logging in and sorting out their youth pulls is banned. Understood, you might not be doing anything that isn't in the spirit of the game...but then again, you might be, and without a blanket ban there'd be no effective way of stopping the cheats.

As far as the male/female thing goes, well, you're on an internet message board about a male-dominated sport. Unless there's an indication otherwise (e.g. calling yourself Talulah or entering your *** in yer profile), it'll be assumed that you're a bloke.

You think that's annoying? I get people who know my _real_ name thinking I'm female. Which I'm not. This is usually before they've met me*, with the exception of the NHS, who really should know better.

* Friday nights down notwithstanding ;)
Hi Mahindinho

I understand what you are saying and I am aware of the rules, but as i've not broken any and merely asked about a player (okay I could have extended the question and made 100% sure everyone knew it was not mine) I didn't expect such an adverse reaction.

I appreicate the Male thing, but I thought it was 2007 and when I go to cricket, many females go too. I know that many people still live in the past and think it's a male only game (I get it ALL the time) and it is very annoying.

Luckily, unlike you, people know I am female straight away. At least you know where I am coming from I guess.

Thanks for your post

panesarpower

Cricket Spectator
Oh, BTW, welcome to the board.
Thanks, although i'm PM'ing James (I think that's the guy) asking to delete my account. I don't know if it's just easier to leave it dormant or whether to ask to delete it.

Appreciate your post though and i'll keep an eye out for your team

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I appreicate the Male thing, but I thought it was 2007 and when I go to cricket, many females go too. I know that many people still live in the past and think it's a male only game (I get it ALL the time) and it is very annoying.
Look, no-one on this board (well, this section of it, anyway) is a ***ist sod who believes that women shouldn't play or enjoy cricket.

I'm sure I'm not alone in absolutely loving it when I run into a girl who really knows the game, much more so than me even. Some of my female relatives in Sri Lanka absolutely put me to shame, for a start. However, there aren't many of them -- every year, I organise a trip to Old Trafford with 30 or so friends...there are typically 10 girls there, and five of them are only there because their boyfriends have dragged them along.

Where was I going with this..? Oh yeah, really, I think the angst over the last few pages is really down to a misunderstanding, and absolutely nothing to do with your gender. Unless you've had trouble in other areas of CricketWeb too, I'd urge you to give it a second chance.

panesarpower

Cricket Spectator
Look, no-one on this board (well, this section of it, anyway) is a ***ist sod who believes that women shouldn't play or enjoy cricket.

I'm sure I'm not alone in absolutely loving it when I run into a girl who really knows the game, much more so than me even. Some of my female relatives in Sri Lanka absolutely put me to shame, for a start. However, there aren't many of them -- every year, I organise a trip to Old Trafford with 30 or so friends...there are typically 10 girls there, and five of them are only there because their boyfriends have dragged them along.

Where was I going with this..? Oh yeah, really, I think the angst over the last few pages is really down to a misunderstanding, and absolutely nothing to do with your gender. Unless you've had trouble in other areas of CricketWeb too, I'd urge you to give it a second chance.
Well, i've contacted James, we'll take it from there. It is a mis-understanding, but one that people were quick to try and turn into much much more (I thought we English were meant to be the negative ones!) It's been a bad start here. Maybe I should have explained the whole situation, but I didn't expect such negativity from many, although being an internet forum, I should have expected it and was somewhat naive. Maybe I should look at other parts of the boards. I do feel however, as an obvious newbie, some have tried to belittle, but that is life I suppose.

I'm not saying I know loads about the game - County etc yes, but I know little about domestic cricket in other countries. I also have no idea how to work out Duckworth/Lewis :wacko: Maybe I feel as a female in a male dominated game, in which I am among more experts than I am, a little 'small'

I actually found this site as was looking in google for some hints on how to play ICC as my batsman kept getting out cheap :(

So, you are originally from Sri Lanka? Or have Sri Lankan heritage? Do you support England or Sri Lanka? Both?

Last edited:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
yer cool i see where your coming from....

will look into that and hey we are due for a few friendlies again mate!
Yep, definitely! I'm already out of the cup, want to see how the introduction of FC affects PFL before arranging friendlies though. But I'm definitely up for a rematch at some point soon.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
15. Richard Tucker - 22 yo, BT Rating=86,363
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A steady player with woeful leadership skills and mediocre experience.
Stamina: proficient Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: masterful Concentration: exceptional
Bowling: woeful Consistency: woeful
Fielding: feeble
Is that our first ever Masterful batsmen on CW or is Duggan or Watkins masterful already?

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Well, i've contacted James, we'll take it from there. It is a mis-understanding, but one that people were quick to try and turn into much much more (I thought we English were meant to be the negative ones!) It's been a bad start here. Maybe I should have explained the whole situation, but I didn't expect such negativity from many, although being an internet forum, I should have expected it and was somewhat naive. Maybe I should look at other parts of the boards. I do feel however, as an obvious newbie, some have tried to belittle, but that is life I suppose.
Is it just the Battrick friend's team thing? To me, it did look suspiciously as though you had multiple teams and slipped up -- that kind of thing has happened and is still happening, despite the best efforts of Adam and the rest of the GM team. As so many people on here are really _into_ their BT teams, any apparent cheating really does get a pretty frosty reception.

Apologies if there's more to it than just that one issue.

So, you are originally from Sri Lanka? Or have Sri Lankan heritage? Do you support England or Sri Lanka? Both?
Sri Lankan father, Malaysian mother, London born and Hertfordshire bred, have lived in Manchester for 12 years.

I support Sri Lanka first and England second. County-wise, it's Lancashire all the way, but I've also got a soft spot for Warwickshire. Let's just say that it's not been a great four or five days :(

panesarpower

Cricket Spectator
Is it just the Battrick friend's team thing? To me, it did look suspiciously as though you had multiple teams and slipped up -- that kind of thing has happened and is still happening, despite the best efforts of Adam and the rest of the GM team. As so many people on here are really _into_ their BT teams, any apparent cheating really does get a pretty frosty reception.

Apologies if there's more to it than just that one issue.

Sri Lankan father, Malaysian mother, London born and Hertfordshire bred, have lived in Manchester for 12 years.

I support Sri Lanka first and England second. County-wise, it's Lancashire all the way, but I've also got a soft spot for Warwickshire. Let's just say that it's not been a great four or five days :(
That is all it is. I was innocently asking about a player for a friend and was jumped on. How it was interpereted I cannot be held accountable for, I could have worded it better, but i'm not the sort of person who says/types things thinking of how others may view it. I didn't realise people were so in to it - to me it is just a game and if I don't play, I don't play, but will always stand up for myself, even against a few people who think it right to gang up on a newbie without the full facts (I don't include you here, you've made me feel welcome)

As long as I get my membership refunded and any friend who I know in Battrick who wants to leave, gets a similar refund of their's, it really doesn't matter. I got into this through other boards and have many friends playing. I've told a few of my problems here and I was told to say many things a lady shouldn't, but I won't because I don't want too.

As I say, as long as I get my membership refund, as well as the others who will leave if I go (I got most of them into it!) then that's fine (Most have memberships). FC means it's going to be almost impossible to play every day anyway. I'd sooner play and log in when possible, but it really doesn't run my world or that of my friends - some log in once a week/10 days, some most days.

There is no other issue.

Very mixed heritage! This week hasn't been great for you has it? Sri Lanka and England out in the 2nd groups and Lancs not winning title - Warks relegated.

Hope you have a better season, next season!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Is that our first ever Masterful batsmen on CW or is Duggan or Watkins masterful already?
Watkins isn't, and I might stop training his batting soon depending on my nets situation after I buy some new players. Still a better batsman though. :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.