• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Adamc said:
Hmm, allanfc is becoming quite famous: link

Twenty20 should be interesting (well probably not, I assume it'll just be the equivalent of the last 10 overs played twice), pity Whitehorne won't be able to play.
Hahahaha is that really him? Hahahahahahahaha.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Hahahaha is that really him? Hahahahahahahaha.
Yup. I swear, he seems to spend his entire life with a 5 o'clock shadow. Well, every time I've met him, anyway.

He's getting around, actually - the same story (or thereabouts) is all over the place:
Daily Record
Mirror
Ananova
Guardian (at bottom of page)

Apparently, he's a bit miffed because only the Guardian made any mention of Battrick, and he's only been doing interviews on the condition that the game gets mentioned.

Last edited:

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Scaly piscine said:
Dead Badger said:
Holy crap. 0 ITS, feeble academy:

Lloyd Boosey (997694)
Bowling: respectable [everything else worthless]
What do you guys reckon - is some sucker in the transfer market likely to buy this guy, or is it just a slightly more entertaining pull-then-fire job?
Someone will probably buy 'em, might get something like 20k for them if you're lucky.
Heh - I just noticed this guy sold (for £1000) to cobbold cc, the team at the bottom of your very own division. He actually gave him a couple of games, and he got one of your batsmen out (in what was otherwise a complete drubbing by you). This amuses me, but I don't know why. He seems to be getting nets, as his BTR has gone up by about 500 since I sold him. Awesome. I never dreamed I'd produce a first-team Div IV player in my first season, let alone one so profoundly rubbish as this... :D

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really bothered about FC being delayed, suits me at the moment. Also means I don't have to worry about Whitehorne's NT duties clashing with FC. Hopefully he'll be too crap for the NT by season 7 so I can keep him if there is a clash. Only drawback I suppose will be the lack of FC gate receipts, the 55k subsidy doesn't really help all that much.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Got my first half decent academy player today.

Code:
Caleb Slaytor (1016780)
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, fresh
A steady player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.

Plays For:	Henry's Dream
Nationality:	Australia
Battrick Rating:	2,819
Wages:	£542 p/w
Stamina: 	feeble 	Wicket Keeping: 	worthless
Batting: 	competent 	Concentration: 	mediocre
Bowling: 	worthless 	Consistency: 	worthless
Fielding: 	worthless
I figure he's probably worth training, compared to the other players I have.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Adamc said:
Hmm, allanfc is becoming quite famous: link

Twenty20 should be interesting (well probably not, I assume it'll just be the equivalent of the last 10 overs played twice), pity Whitehorne won't be able to play.
Haha allan, what a nut.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mahindinho said:
Yup. I swear, he seems to spend his entire life with a 5 o'clock shadow. Well, every time I've met him, anyway.

He's getting around, actually - the same story (or thereabouts) is all over the place:
Daily Record
Mirror
Ananova
Guardian (at bottom of page)

Apparently, he's a bit miffed because only the Guardian made any mention of Battrick, and he's only been doing interviews on the condition that the game gets mentioned.
That's journalists for you unfortunately... If the Mirror or the like had included it they'd have only mucked it up anyway, they'd have probably quoted hattrick site and said it had 3500000 users or something.

Pretty much ever Scrabble article in the media gets mucked up like this.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey, by the way Scaly, what have you found out with regards to BTR? Equal weighting for all attributes I'm guessing, but you think you've got something?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My untrained YP from last week - anyone in the know tell me how far up the sublevels he is?

Simon Stone (1012038)
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, competent batting form, mediocre bowling form, lively
A steady player with superb leadership skills and worthless experience.

Plays For: AA for President!
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 4,597 (-167)
Wages: £909 p/w

Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: feeble
Batting: respectable Concentration: feeble
Bowling: mediocre Consistency: woeful
Fielding: woeful

Scaly piscine

Robertinho said:
Hey, by the way Scaly, what have you found out with regards to BTR? Equal weighting for all attributes I'm guessing, but you think you've got something?
Well yea, but more specifically the ranges for worthless, abysmal... up to superb and I'm pretty happy with them from trying it out on my own players and tinkering slightly. I can make good estimations for quality, remarkable and wonderful as well but I don't have as many players to test on or data to look at there obviously. It's not something nobody has done before, I'm sure others have done it and maybe some haven't got it as accurate as I have. Like with wages it often just gives you a vague idea of a player rather than anything specific. Oh and I need people to be at superb/superb form to be really accurate.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Scaly, I'm not doubting your mathematical prowess for a moment, but I can't really see how BTRs make any sense. Take for example my all-rounder, Steve Cash. I bought him as a 30YO with Comp Stam, Resp/Resp Bat, Prof/Feeb Bowl, and Med Field - At the time he had a BTR of 13818. Since then, he's had three weeks of one batting and one bowling net, then one fielding net until now. Today he's Comp Stam, Resp/Strong Bat, Strong/Comp Bowl, Med field, and his BTR is 20354, and rising by 400/500 a week! I should also mention that he's remained Sup/Sup form and Sub fitness throughout. Undoubtedly he's a much more effective player now than when I bought him, but he's not 50% better?

In other news I'm playing a side tomorrow with strong rated top order and Feeb middle. Their top order has Qual/Sup/Sup - Whereas their middle order is Strong/Strong/Resp/Feeb or Med, and probably with some suspect secondaries to only pull a Feeb rating. Do I: A, fight fire with fire, open up with Bewers against their best bats, and hope that my weaker bowlers can take care of their middle order? Or B, bowl Resps Edworthy and Bent first up on V.Defensive, then hold Bewers and Bridges M back, hope to pick the guns off when their in-game stam's weakened, then clean up the middle order?

Any thoughts? Later, Trev

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
You could try setting orders where your strike bowler gets a few overs at the start, in the hope of quick wickets, then comes back later to clean up the middle order.

I'm sure one of the combinations has a bowler on for 3 overs at the start and then held back until later. "Sets of 5" will give you 5 at the start and 5 either in the middle or at the end, too.

I tend to make sure that (apart from at the start) there's always a defensive bowler at one end. Not sure what good it's done me, but it makes me feel better ;)

Scaly piscine

trevor_vayro said:
Scaly, I'm not doubting your mathematical prowess for a moment, but I can't really see how BTRs make any sense. Take for example my all-rounder, Steve Cash. I bought him as a 30YO with Comp Stam, Resp/Resp Bat, Prof/Feeb Bowl, and Med Field - At the time he had a BTR of 13818. Since then, he's had three weeks of one batting and one bowling net, then one fielding net until now. Today he's Comp Stam, Resp/Strong Bat, Strong/Comp Bowl, Med field, and his BTR is 20354, and rising by 400/500 a week! I should also mention that he's remained Sup/Sup form and Sub fitness throughout. Undoubtedly he's a much more effective player now than when I bought him, but he's not 50% better?
BTRs make as much sense as wages, BTR can be as useless as wage when it comes to judging how good a player is - but I'm not using it for that I use it for judging how high their sublevels are going to be. For instance the range for your guy there is 18600 to 28000 (presuming his keeping is of negligible skill) so I could say with high certainty that most his attributes have popped recently and/or are low. Of course it would still be possible for him for to be high strong bowl and the rest be bottom of the level (ignoring the information you've implied about his training), but extremely unlikely.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Ah! He's not only a mathematical genius, he's also a wily old fox! Steve Cash was, as you may have guessed, a thinly veiled attempt to get you to reveal some of how you calculate it. However, it would appear that it was as telegraphed as my arm-ball, and was duly dispatched to the Mid-Wicket boundary!

Unless I'm being particularly dense, I can't find a bowling option which gives only three overs up first, so I think that sets of five may well be the way to go.

Later, Trev

Status
Not open for further replies.