Page 202 of 570 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 8537

Thread: Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

PY
    Could be a good game at Boggles CC this morning:

Boys of the Shank scored 235/10 off 46 with Mamello taking 7/42 and I'm currently 50/1 off 10 with my remarkable bat out. Need to get to 150 without losing any wickets really.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Kipper XI v RoMojo @ Trentington Oval

RoMojo: 3-255

Reeves 86
    Came 66
    Person 58*

Chambers 2-65

Kipper XI: 8-256 (48.1)

Brown 100
    Brydon 36

Hedley 2-36

Don't know how I won that one, was 4-99 when Dove got out for 5.
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Heh @ Black 8m. He had no bids the other day when he was listed at 6.5m.

Won't be around to see my match or if Horne sells probably - have to help my uncle move house.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Vice-Captain mikeW's Avatar
    Rob why are you selling all your players for 1 uber one?

PY
    I was wondering that, thought you'd been one of the vocal supporters of spreading the quality throughout your team?

Things do change when you get a whole load more money I have to admit.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    I still do believe in spreading the quality, but I think there's a middle ground between "uber players" and "evenness". Rayno had underperformed a great deal and I was never going to train him past remarkable bowling - by which point he'd only have respectable consistency, and I don't think that at that level, he'd be a very "long-term" player (or a good one, in any case). Johnston had stayed down at #6 while I trained him up, and at feeble stamina and 22 (?) years old, I couldn't see myself getting any more from him, and with Gray, Mcmillan & Bhutia already leading my batting, I thought I'd go nuts and sacrifice a bit of batting to get myself a gun bowler.

I was aiming for someone like Ashley Black - wonderful bowling, definite long term prospect - but then that crazy guy bidded 8mil and that was a bit too much to pay. So then the exceptional came onto the market - fit the bill even better than Black did - and make no mistake, Neil Mills can still bowl - but at strong/prof, the general quality of opposition batsmen was creeping up on him.

I personally don't think I've really gone down the "super player" path - Johnston was my 4th best batsman, Rayno was good on paper but performed terribly, and Mills is quickly losing his shine. Batting wise, I still have Gray, Mcmillan & Bhutia. Bowling wise, I have Mcmillan and will hopefully get this exceptional bowler, plus I've freed up net space to accomodate Mulholland, who will be a gun further down the track.

I also think that you NEED to have some gun players to succeed in this game (if you're planning for the future), and if I do buy this guy, he'll be able to cut it with teams in higher divisions, which is what I'm hoping most of my players will eventually be able to do.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by cameeel View Post
    Kipper XI v RoMojo @ Trentington Oval

RoMojo: 3-255

Reeves 86
    Came 66
    Person 58*

Chambers 2-65

Kipper XI: 8-256 (48.1)

Brown 100
    Brydon 36

Hedley 2-36

Don't know how I won that one, was 4-99 when Dove got out for 5.
    Ahh ha! Good to 'meet' you! I suspect my bringing on of a med/res spinner (1-70) might have been my downfall, but I'm a bit short on talent at the moment

May the rivalry continue - though I don't know if I'll manage to stay up this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho View Post
    I also think that you NEED to have some gun players to succeed in this game (if you're planning for the future), and if I do buy this guy, he'll be able to cut it with teams in higher divisions, which is what I'm hoping most of my players will eventually be able to do.
    Sounds sensible. Obviously, I'm a proponent of the "spread it around" system, and sometimes I do just wish I had a bowler who could blast away an uberbatsman or two.

I'm probably heading for an end-of-season re-jig myself, with a few upgrades planned - will probably end up flogging a Remarkable bowler and trying to get an Exceptional bat.

Well, life in Div II is pretty good so far...

Bowled Over CG have put themselves in to bat, and are currently 69/6 after 26 overs, on a greentop.

Gibb's current figures are 3-3-0-1. Not bad!

Cricket Spectator
    Having said that, cameeel, I think you've spanked me a few times before...

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahindinho View Post
    Sounds sensible. Obviously, I'm a proponent of the "spread it around" system, and sometimes I do just wish I had a bowler who could blast away an uberbatsman or two.

I'm probably heading for an end-of-season re-jig myself, with a few upgrades planned - will probably end up flogging a Remarkable bowler and trying to get an Exceptional bat.
    Yeah, I don't disagree with getting the odd gun player but he's going to have 2 decent bowlers with a trainee who won't be good for a season and two lots of crap chucking Mr Kiplings which'll probably undo all the good work done by the decent two.

Anyway, my plan is to save up and get an all-rounder as soon as possible to augment my new players. I'm starting from scratch money-wise though so probably won't happen for a while and needs to be a trainee as only make 200k/week from attendances. I'm more interested in staying in my league so won't sell any of my good players to help.

4 of my bowling attack are on nets, and 4 batsmen so should improve slowly but surely.

My opponents now 88/9 off 35.

Gibbs's first spell was something like 5-5-0-2

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahindinho View Post

I do think the "spread it around" system is a good one, but you don't want to spread it too thin. A core group of 5-6 players is enough to win you games for now. I also think it'll mean I can advance quicker, because rather than having say, 2 quality bowlers who will need replacing, I'll have an exceptional who won't need to be replaced for a looong time.

Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    Yeah, I don't disagree with getting the odd gun player but he's going to have 2 decent bowlers with a trainee who won't be good for a season and two lots of crap chucking Mr Kiplings which'll probably undo all the good work done by the decent two.
    Don't forget that I'm in IV, and my batting is fairly solid. I realistically only need to get 2-3 opposition batsmen out to get to the Resps if I want to bundle them out cheaply - or if they're unsuccessful, I'd back my batting to chase down most targets (but having 2 good bowlers means they'll limit the total to something chaseable). I don't think, at this stage, I need 5 good bowlers - if I have an Exceptional, all he needs to do is take a couple of wickets in his opening spell, and then Mcmillan will do the rest. Mulholland will be prof/med soon (possibly prof/comp, no idea about his cons), and as the season wears on he'll have more of an impact. I'm probably going to change my pitch to Cracked if I get the Exceptional guy, and Mullers will benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    Anyway, my plan is to save up and get an all-rounder as soon as possible to augment my new players. I'm starting from scratch money-wise though so probably won't happen for a while and needs to be a trainee as only make 200k/week from attendances. I'm more interested in staying in my league so won't sell any of my good players to help.

4 of my bowling attack are on nets, and 4 batsmen so should improve slowly but surely.
    The reason I'm selling some of my "middle-band" players to buy a gun is because I think I've got a solid enough core group of players that it won't really have too adverse an affect on my side. But I agree with the last part - as long as they're improving and becoming genuine long-term players, you're on the right track IMO.

This is going pretty well - 33/0 off 8, chasing 97ao.

Might even be enough see me installed (temporarily, no doubt) as the top team in Div II!

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Won, even with my horrible extras count.

Melbourne CC XI - 235/10 from 49.5
    Casper 95 (140)
    Ballard 4/60 (10)
    Hindle 3/47 (9.5)

lost to

Brackenhurst - 236/3 from 43.1 overs
    Ndebele 94 (123)
    Hindle 85* (98)
    Read 30* (23)

Stoked with it, as they`re rated pretty close to me. Only possible for me to win 2 or 3 of my group matches, so I`m glad I did. All-round performance of Hindle had me smiling, his first go up the order (4) and he smashed it. Likewise Ndebele got his first chance up the order (2) and made the most of it, especially after Antonius failed. Bowling was a bit of a worry with the extras, and Wright going wicketless on debut sucked. But it was great to see Ballard take a bag after a poor start, even if it was just a BT collapse.

Halsey on Sunday. Will be close.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Thread Information