• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I can't believe that there's no problem tbh. Teams with equal-ish ratings and they're both at say 4/230 and all out for 233. It's just a joke.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GoT_SpIn said:
Nightowl went to Waverly, figures really
AussieDominance said:
lol Cranbrook any better
Both fair calls. And kids, while you're squabbling over which all boys school is better, remember that mine isn't one large sausage fest.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Both fair calls. And kids, while you're squabbling over which all boys school is better, remember that mine isn't one large sausage fest.
I care about my academic performance

Scaly piscine

Oh well I posted about the collapses in the Q&A #6? thread in England sledging board, fat lot of good it'll do. Perhaps if I point out that tailenders are ridiculously useless by giving lots of stats it'll help indirectly. Must be a few other people here who have woefuls and feebles who average stupid amounts like 1.50 and 3.7odd.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Bugger. Wrote loads and then lost it all :@

Here goes again...

Right. I can see where Allan's coming from with the collapses being part of the game.

BT isn't real life. It's an approximation, but some things just can't be done the same.

In real cricket, even the most one-dimensional bowler works on his batting. A raw 17yo no.11 might even become a passable no.8 or 9 given a few years. Glenn McGrath himself was probably abysmal when he started out, but is now at least feeble!

In Battrick, however, you're not going to give a precious batting net to a 17yo woeful bat, no matter how good his bowling is. So he's always going to be rubbish.

Okay, so experience plays a part, but that's there in BT too.

But what can Allan do? Introduce half-nets? You can't go around giving bowlers better batting stats, as that just wouldn't work - no-one would pull a batsman ever again!

Perhaps you could assign a net to be spread around "all who played the last match"? Mind you, not sure how useful 9% of a week's training is going to be.

Besides which, bowlers get added concentration when their consistency gets trained. Batsmen get added consistency, but that's useless - for example, Sandwith, my remarkable/remarkable bat, has superb consistency, but that's wasted as he's only got abysmal bowling. I was tempted to train him up as an all-rounder, but figured that it just wasn't worth it.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Thinking about it, we already have sports psychologists who attend net sessions. How about "supplementary batting coaches" who attend bowling sessions? They'd provide some (maybe 25%?) batting training, at the expense of your bowler not getting any consistency training.

I do think that's a bit "artificial" though.

Scaly piscine

McGrath is coming up effectively against elite bowlers tho. The experience argument doesn't wash because it's rubbish experience versus rubbish experience.

Put him against the proficient bowlers and he'll average 10+ easily.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem isn't confined to tailenders. It's not uncommon to see five or six competent/respectable type batsmen go down for <10 runs, especially in the last 10 overs. The strange thing is that it's also not uncommon to see crap batsmen last a long time against much better bowlers during the middle overs. There's clearly a problem there. Allan should either say 'yes, there is a problem with collapses, but this isn't meant to mirror real life and it's not going to be changed', or 'yes, there's a problem and it will be fixed', rather than denying outright that there is a problem.

PY

International Coach
Well my cup draw has changed and I now have:

Jai Hind
Top Order: quality
Middle Order: mediocre
Lower Order: worthless
Seam Bowling: remarkable
Spin Bowling: competent
Fielding: mediocre

My ratings on TIE:

Strong
Competent
Abysmal
Respectable
Respectable
Feeble

Need some serious advice, both my games this weekend are at home for reference.

First against:

Men who play with balls
Top Order: strong
Middle Order: competent
Lower Order: abysmal
Seam Bowling: proficient
Spin Bowling: respectable
Fielding: woeful

Was supposed to be playing these lot twice in cup & league so had begun changing my pitch to hard & fast and backed my gun bats to do the job. However, it only got to Green thus far.

Second game I'm thinking that my spin is better than theirs but their seam is way better & batting is 2 levels better too. They have two gun bats (remarkable+) at 2 & 3. Do I go with the dusty pitch which might help my spinners but clashes with what I want on the Friday game? Or do I go uneven/cracked and hope that something crazy happens and 2&3 get out and then I'm into prof & worse?

How long do pitch changes take approximately? Gah, stupid changed cup draws..:p

Scaly piscine

If your gun guys have more attacking temperaments I'd go with hard & fast. That remarkable seam bowling is going to kill you on most other pitches.

PY

International Coach
Well Chanderpaul (remarkable) is destructive, and so's Singh who's going to be my pinch hitter, though others are steady.

Chanders is key though so that makes sense though it's Wednesday (obviously :p) and it's only at green so will it make H&F?

Status
Not open for further replies.