• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
"A kind individual, Thomas will be remembered for his enthusiasm towards life and tremendous call on Rodgie in the Testing Forum. R.I.P."

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
"A kind individual, Thomas will be remembered for his enthusiasm towards life and tremendous call on Rodgie in the Testing Forum. R.I.P."
:laugh:

"...Mr. Thomas was found dead at his computer desk, impaled on a cricket bat. The name 'Patterson' was spelt out in blood next to the body. A milkshake straw was found at the scene. Police are looking into the incident."

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nice work Rob, looks like one of the best buys i've seen interms worth compared to money spent. Makes you want to save up big, as players like that seem to go for the right amount of money, where as lower end players i.e. strong seem to go for stupid amounts.

Anyway had two experience pops:

Jason Quintin - 19 yo, BT Rating=10,720
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
An attacking player with superb leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: strong Concentration: competent
Bowling: worthless Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: abysmal

Tristan Dowdall - 24 yo, BT Rating=7,802
LH Batsman, LF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with worthless leadership skills and feeble experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: feeble
Bowling: proficient Consistency: feeble
Fielding: woeful

Pretty handy experience pop for Quintin as his my captain, i wonder how much impact him scoring his first hundred had to him poping.

Not expecting any major pops for about a month, then i should get them regularly for six weeks.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Haha, didn't Adam pay 5 mill for the sensational bowl, superb bat Tim Whitehorne.

That's quite the bargain by todays standards. Of course at the time it was the record transfer fee.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, didn't Adam pay 5 mill for the sensational bowl, superb bat Tim Whitehorne.

That's quite the bargain by todays standards. Of course at the time it was the record transfer fee.
Yeah amazing what a difference a year or two can make in the world of Battrick Transfers. I wouldn't be surprised in a couple seasons players like that are going for 10 mil.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Granted, but the situation you have at the moment is that the top two in many divisions are typically massively superior to the rest of their league (because they're camping), and the bottom couple in the ones above are there because they were either idealistic or too inept to throw their playoff. That said, of course, I don't think I could actually make myself throw a playoff (pride, y'know), but that's neither here nor there. :)
Exactly.

Definitely; there's a balance to be found, but I'd say that at the moment it's a near certainty that if you promote at the first opportunity, your team after the next season will be back in the same division you started in, and worse off than if you'd stayed down. There's a happy medium to be found, I think, that isn't nearly solved by the soft membership caps. Obviously you've had a different experience in Hattrick, but I think you might be the exception rather than the rule.
Different in Battrick, too - straight from IV to III to II, and I might even make it to I.1 next season. Having said that, I did spend a couple of seasons in a nightmare IV league - Sky Blues, who topped IV.26 the season before I finally escaped, has made it to I.1 already! It really is possible for anyone - I know I've made my mistakes, e.g. being RUBBISH at playing the transfer market.

Is the problem, then, not so much the balance between the leagues, but the fact that anyone who actually pays attention (Newbies board, this forum, etc.) will blitz their starter league?

In the same way that the morale calculations are a bit weird in that getting beaten by a massively superior opponent is just as demoralising as being beaten by a team of Jade Goodys wielding salad forks...
Yeah, thanks for that image. I'm going to have nightmares for weeks. :(

I find it strange that attendance is based solely on the home team's recent record. I'm sure newly promoted teams get massive surges in attendance, particularly when the big teams visit.
That, I agree with completely.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year

Yeah, when I got Watkins (2.9m) it was a record transfer fee at the time as well. 19yo remarkable/remarkable bat, strong/remarkable bowl, strong stamina, prof fielding when I got him.

Oh BTW, everyone's mysteriously been fined 200k.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Junior Graham - 21 yo, BT Rating=60,116
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A cautious player with strong leadership skills and feeble experience.
Stamina: proficient Wicket Keeping: mediocre
Batting: abysmal Concentration: respectable
Bowling: wonderful Consistency: wonderful
Fielding: strong

Karl August - 18 yo, BT Rating=7,713
LH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
An attacking player with strong leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: competent Concentration: proficient
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless
Fielding: abysmal

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Code:
4. Jonathon Jephcott (512663)
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A defensive player with strong leadership skills and woeful experience.

Plays For:	Central Districts
Nationality:	England
Battrick Rating:	13,866 (+584)
Wages:		£1,505 p/w
Stamina: 	[B]competent[/B] 	Wicket Keeping: 	worthless
Batting: 	proficient 		Concentration: 	strong
Bowling: 	worthless 		Consistency: 	worthless
Fielding: 	mediocre
Good pop there. Scaly, can you tell how close he is to Strong bat-Superb Conc? He's probably very low, I'd just like a ballpark figure.

Yea, looks like he was near bottom when the wages recalculated. Looking at 2 months or so on one batting net for both probably.

Oh and very surprised that exceptional-exceptional guy went for that amount... Now if only Battrick would actually load...

As for the stuff earlier about GFI/PAN/TIE, the effects of an early GFI (ie when your fitness level is moderate or something) as opposed to a PAN/TIE will wear off pretty quickly as you'll only drop around two levels and your fitness level tends towards fair. I GFIed my league game from moderate, went down to low, TIEd my cup game and I'm up to moderate again.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
My heart nearly stopped when I saw that I would be -55k at next financial update :mellow: I should probably read the news on the front page.

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Is the problem, then, not so much the balance between the leagues, but the fact that anyone who actually pays attention (Newbies board, this forum, etc.) will blitz their starter league?
I think this is quite probably right, actually. A bottom IV team can absolutely guarantee that it'll kick the crap out of any league it relegates in to, just because of the number of half-motivated players in V, which I imagine is rather less true at higher levels. I actually find it a bit weird looking at some of the other teams in my league. One seems to have no trainees, or is training grandads; another is obsessed with uber-primary'd players with the concentration of a goldfish.

Bit of a boring training session, but have some primary pops on the way in a week or two. Just the one today, for my wickie and opening batsman:

2. Liam Bromby - 18 yo, BT Rating=10,530
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A cautious player with woeful leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: respectable
Batting: competent Concentration: respectable
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: worthless

Really wish my two stamina fixer-uppers would pop to mediocre so I can get started training my new batsman. I nabbed a microns-from-competent destructive bat with respectable conc and superb leadership; exactly what I wanted for my middle order, but my only fast bowler and my other opener are both on feeble stamina, which is far from ideal.

*fidgets*

Status
Not open for further replies.