• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Just looking at the transfer market i came across this fella:

Jon Wray (469895)
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, mediocre batting form, competent bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with feeble leadership skills and woeful experience.

Plays For: Masters 2nd XI
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 15,676
Wages: £4,361 p/w

Stamina: proficient Wicket Keeping: superb
Batting: respectable Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: competent Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: woeful

Just wondering how much he is actually worth??

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Adam, If you're about mate, please could you Up-grade my academy to Sup and get me an YP? I'd like a 17YO, 8 Stam, 12 Bat, 12 Conc, 4 Field

Tar, Trev

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adam, If you're about mate, please could you Up-grade my academy to Sup and get me an YP? I'd like a 17YO, 8 Stam, 12 Bat, 12 Conc, 4 Field

Tar, Trev
You only get 35 ITS to allocate not 36 trev.

Bought this guy for 4.94m, got fed up waiting for a gun bowler to appear - then they'd just go for a ridiculous price anyway because everyone else wants one...

Rob Preece (259755)
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A steady player with abysmal leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: DFC
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 85,126
Wages: £10,903 p/w

Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: proficient Concentration: exceptional
Bowling: proficient Consistency: exceptional
Fielding: quality

Will get a bowling net. He's had at least 6 bowling nets already at proficient. Will probably get a batting net, alternating with Dillon when I'm short of nets (like now when I'm waiting for Packer's final batting pop). He's also supposedly high competent stamina.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Scaly - nice! He'll be a pretty decent all-rounder for years to come. I suspect he'd be pretty useful once the FC games finally start, too.

Trev - having only just twigged that you're blind (partially-sighted?), I finally understand why you keep getting Adam to pull your yoofs. How's the guide dog training coming along?

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, don't worry Mahinda, I took far, far longer to notice. If I'm not mistaken, he is partially-sighted - he said he could generally make out blurry outlines of things. Former English NT cricketer too.. fair gun :D

Btw, Scaly, not sure about that purchase - 5mil is a bit steep for a guy with prof/prof primaries, no matter how high his secondaries are. There's a remarkable/strong bowler selling in about 24 hours, he's at 4.3mil now.

Scaly piscine

Haha, don't worry Mahinda, I took far, far longer to notice. If I'm not mistaken, he is partially-sighted - he said he could generally make out blurry outlines of things. Former English NT cricketer too.. fair gun :D

Btw, Scaly, not sure about that purchase - 5mil is a bit steep for a guy with prof/prof primaries, no matter how high his secondaries are. There's a remarkable/strong bowler selling in about 24 hours, he's at 4.3mil now.
And he'll probably end up at about 5+ million when he sells. He was my backup choice. His bowling is only about 2 levels above Preece, whereas Preece can bat, is a good fielder and was sold first. With Preece I can pretty much sell any of my middle/lower order bats if and when I feel like it (which I probably will feel like doing this season) and I'll still have loads of depth with 10 players and a donkey. There's a lot more freedom with having a player like Preece.

Oh and I should point out that most of the time teams lose it's as a direct result of being bowled out... remarkable-strong wouldn't really help me bowl teams out that much but Preece should help me not get bowled out and win games like those against Mahindinho.

Last edited:

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
For Mahindinho's benefit, I've put together in this post, a few snippets to demonstrate my blind and cricket credentials - So apologies to those of you who've already read these.

(OT, 24/9/06)
Well I'm nothing if not green, so forgive me, but I'm going to recycle an old post from the Battrick thread, when the guys on there asked me pretty much the same kind'a question. In short, I have a speech synthesiser on my computer, which can read most forms of text - Except horrible PDF files. So I find CW pretty much a breeze. There's some techie type stuff I can't do, and Rob *****es like a girl when the tables I post aren't pleasing on his eye, but the bread and butter of reading and writing posts is simple as.

(Lifted from Battrick, 1/3/06 )
"Oh yes! Not only does my computer read me all your posts, it also reads them, as well as everything I write back, in the same mechanised voice as used by Britain's favourite brain-box Stephen Hawkin.

I must confess, in my more bored and immature moments, I have succumbed to the temptation to have a bit of fun with my computer! - Well why wouldn't Stephen Hawkin ring NHS Direct and describe his symptoms as absolute quadriplegia and a silly mechanised voice? And why wouldn't Stephen Hawkin ring up to order a pizza? or a taxi? or to buy flowers from Inter-Flora for Timmy from South Park? The best bit is the bemusement I get from the people on the other end of the phone. They're 99% certain it's a p**s take, but they can't quite bring themselves to tell you to get stuffed, as there's always that 0.1% chance that it really is Stephen Hawkin - Because let's face it, it's not everyone who has Stephen Hawkin's voice ready programmed into their laptop!

I used to work as a reporter on a radio station which shall remain nameless, mainly because I still work for the same media organisation, and I plugged my laptop into the mixing desk and recorded while I typed the following trail:

"Hello, My Name is Stephen Hawkin, and I'm the most intelligent man in the world! That's why I listen to blarblar sports show on *** Radio, every Saturday from 1:30."

Funnily enough my producer didn't want to use it!"

(OT, 24/09/06)
But cricket is my first and only true sporting love. I play for my local blind cricket club, who won the UK blind cricket Cup at Lord's last month, (Oh yeh, probably should have mentioned that I'm totally blind!), and I've also won 30 caps for the England blind cricket team, though currently out of favour - Pies, pints, personalities...The coach's Ex - You know how it goes! I'm an extremely dull and technically awkward left-handed defensive opening bat, and a slow left-arm filth bowler - I hesitate to use the word "Spinner" in connection with my bowling, though occasionally I do turn it from the Off side of Off stump….To…Well…The Leg side of Off stump! But having said all that, an absolutely stupendous amount of people do seem to get out to me - Mainly caught at Deep Backward Square and Fine Leg - Which is an endless source of amusement!

(OT, 29/10/06)
What a Crap week! Firstly I was looking forward to banishing the onset of winter blues with our first out-of-season cricket training in the next few weeks, but the sandal-wearing, paperclip-counting, fun police at Cardiff Council had other ideas. Unfortunately they've discovered that the policy number I've been quoting as our club's public liability insurance for the last two years, is in fact an extended warranty for my fridge-freezer, and apparently that's insufficient coverage to
allow us to train in council-owned facilities! - Splitting hairs or what?!? As a consequence, they've done a little digging and also unearthed the fact that I'm not really a qualified cricket coach. Whilst I can understand them being a bit miffed that I've misled them a tad over the whole insurance thing, I do take issue with the aspersions they're casting over my coaching credentials, as I'm as qualified a coach as it's possible to be as a blind person! I.E. I've covered the entire Level One syllabus, substituting a cricket ball with the rattley Size3 football, but sadly I can't take the exams with our ball, so I'm not officially qualified. I get absolutely no credit from the soulless council bureaucrats for the fact that I helped set up the West Indies
blind team, that I was offered a job as Zimbabwe's player/coach, and that I've taught cricket to, amongst others, a child with Down's Syndrome and a lad who was totally blind, profoundly deaf and Schizophrenic! (Though I have, in that potted CV, rather glossed over a few details, namely the fact that the West Indies lost by three hundred runs in their last forty over match, that Zimbabwe have probably eaten their bats by now, that the kid with Down's
Syndrome broke my hand, and that the Schizophrenic would have killed me, but for a timely intervention for clemency from the more benevolent voice in his head! And I promise you that that's true!

Well spotted on the ITS thing Scaly, Should I knock one off Stam or Conc do you reckon? I'm inclined to say Stam, given how quickly that trains compared to Conc?

Later, Trev

Scaly piscine

Tough call really, the 12th ITS on concentration might give you something like 0.15-0.2 of a level of concentration, the 8th ITS on fitness would give you something like 0.25-0.3 of a level of stamina (the ITS have diminishing returns). The latter is worth more but is quicker to train.

Oh and there's a masterful-exquisite NT bowler (Dylan Noble) on the market if anyone wants one... 15m

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
For Mahindinho's benefit, I've put together in this post, a few snippets to demonstrate my blind and cricket credentials - So apologies to those of you who've already read these.
Cheers!

Were you one of the blind cricketers who went to the World Cup recently? I remember a post on Sledging. Or was that after you'd been sidelined? "The coach's ex" is a gossip-worthy phrase if ever I read one ;)

Anyway, best go home so I can log on to BT and investigate some team that I'm playing on Sunday.

Good luck for the new season, everyone!

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I've been trawling the market lately, but prices seem to be ridiculously inflated at the moment - should I wait until prices become more realistic or try and buy a 1st week 17yo anyway?

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I've been trawling the market lately, but prices seem to be ridiculously inflated at the moment - should I wait until prices become more realistic or try and buy a 1st week 17yo anyway?
Wait! It's going CRAZY out there at the moment.

Unless you're planning on training an NT U19 player, a week or two isn't going to make much difference - you'd (at a guess) effectively lose out on 0.1 or 0.2 of a level of training, for the sake of £LOTS. I'm sure Scaly would be able to give you the actual percentages, 'cos he's, ahem, smart like that ;)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ok, no I'm not planning on training any NT U19s. It just seems that week one 17yos are highly thought of. Thanks for that.

Scaly piscine

I'd still keep an eye out, if you're wanting to spend a bit of cash (like 100k or something) you'd probably get better value being patient I suppose.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year

Tar, Trev
Just did it now (only gave him 7 stam). He's not a star but not the worst either.

Leigh Wharton (1061634)
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, fresh
A defensive player with mediocre leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Cymru Gurgitaters
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 2,610
Wages: £435 p/w
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: competent Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless
Fielding: woeful

PY

International Coach
Mohaideen Abdeen (1057430)
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, lively
A destructive player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Tribunehjelpen
Nationality: Sri Lanka
Battrick Rating: 7,629
Wages: £1,090 p/w
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: respectable Concentration: woeful
Bowling: feeble Consistency: respectable
Fielding: worthless

Had my eye (& bids) on this guy, went to bed at a respectable 150k. Woke up and he's going for 1.4m. I got a 18 yo (now 19yo) strong-prof bowler for 1.4m about 3 weeks ago....:blink:

Last edited:

cricketboy29

International Regular
14. David Carson (79643)
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, respectable batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A steady player with competent leadership skills and woeful experience.

Plays For: Doobie Bombers
Nationality: West Indies
Battrick Rating: 9,276
Wages: £2,028 p/w
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: abysmal
Bowling: strong Consistency: respectable
Fielding: feeble

1.5 Million, Would you say that's an ok value for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.