• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I'm going to be playing Sky Blues this Sunday - they're old league-mates of mine (just pipping me to the IV.26 title the season before I won it), and about to promote to I.1 in some style.

They're managed by a fellow 'inho - Malcinho. We get around! Anyway, it should be a good match - he's got two superstar players (BTR>160k), but his squad depth isn't brilliant. I can't check right now, but I think it's something like this:

Top 7 BTRs for Sky Blues: 160k, 160k, 28k, 19k, 19k, 18k, 18k
Top 7 BTRs for Withington: 57k, 45k, 39k, 33k, 32k, 25k, 19k

Of course, BTR is by no means everything. I'm going for a Green pitch and hoping that his superstar bowlers (one's spinner, the other fast - one of them's actually an all-rounder) don't clean me up.

We had some pretty close games a few seasons ago, before his training regime came together, and this should give me some indication of how I'm progressing.

I'm pretty sure I'll lose, but I'm hoping it won't be a mauling.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Currently have these guys listed for sale. Don't suspect I'll get a bite though.

Carlton Groves - 27 yo, BT Rating=8,469
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A steady player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: woeful
Bowling: competent Consistency: proficient
Fielding: feeble

Delbert Nurse - 17 yo, BT Rating=2,877
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, respectable batting form, mediocre bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: worthless Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: worthless
Bowling: respectable Consistency: worthless
Fielding: worthless

Eduard Owen - 17 yo, BT Rating=2,544
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, feeble batting form, feeble bowling form, sublime
A cautious player with respectable leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: respectable Concentration: worthless
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless

Deltron Martyn - 19 yo, BT Rating=2,102
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, abysmal batting form, abysmal bowling form, sublime
A cautious player with woeful leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: abysmal
Batting: mediocre Concentration: woeful
Bowling: mediocre Consistency: feeble

Walter Fettis - 21 yo, BT Rating=2,072
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, worthless batting form, worthless bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with superb leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: mediocre Concentration: competent
Bowling: feeble Consistency: worthless
Fielding: woeful

Max Jarvis - 18 yo, BT Rating=1,522
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, woeful batting form, worthless bowling form, sublime
An attacking player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: mediocre
Batting: feeble Concentration: woeful
Fielding: feeble

Lawrence Hardy - 17 yo, BT Rating=1,271
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, worthless batting form, mediocre bowling form, sublime
A destructive player with proficient leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: worthless Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: competent
Bowling: woeful Consistency: worthless

Dennis Royle - 18 yo, BT Rating=1,189
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, worthless batting form, abysmal bowling form, sublime
A cautious player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: worthless Wicket Keeping: abysmal
Batting: competent Concentration: worthless

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Mahindinho said:
I'm going to be playing Sky Blues this Sunday - they're old league-mates of mine (just pipping me to the IV.26 title the season before I won it), and about to promote to I.1 in some style.

They're managed by a fellow 'inho - Malcinho. We get around! Anyway, it should be a good match - he's got two superstar players (BTR>160k), but his squad depth isn't brilliant. I can't check right now, but I think it's something like this:

Top 7 BTRs for Sky Blues: 160k, 160k, 28k, 19k, 19k, 18k, 18k
Top 7 BTRs for Withington: 57k, 45k, 39k, 33k, 32k, 25k, 19k

Of course, BTR is by no means everything. I'm going for a Green pitch and hoping that his superstar bowlers (one's spinner, the other fast - one of them's actually an all-rounder) don't clean me up.

We had some pretty close games a few seasons ago, before his training regime came together, and this should give me some indication of how I'm progressing.

I'm pretty sure I'll lose, but I'm hoping it won't be a mauling.
Haha, coincidentally enough, I was looking at their team yesterday (was looking at Graham Apted) and I noted the presence of another 'inho, and the name Sky Blues also sounded familiar. He gets pretty damn good ratings, though they are helped greatly by his two guns. I think you'll be able to get him out fairly cheaply - just gotta hope his gun bat doesn't score big whilst the bits-and-pieces players hang around. And, of course, that Apted doesn't take 7-for or something.

I'm playing I.1 side Aristo Aristocrats (with Fred Lucas) on Sunday. I'll lose, it just depends on whether he plays a full-strength lineup and gets me all out for 50 or not. Haha, it'll go well with last weeks Newcastle Knights, on an I.1 roll here tbh.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PY said:
Fancy a game? Haven't played your mob for a while. In fact, it's almost 4 months!

Don't expect to come away with owt though, thinking that Canning may be too hot to handle and for some reason, my fitness is fair and my morale is hopeful....:mellow:

Sorry Adam, I'd get pillaged by your lot so badly that it wouldn't be worth it!
Accepted. I wouldn't worry about your fitness and morale though; mine are low and pessimistic!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I would have been very much up for a friendly Adam, but I`ve already got a match with Thomas. Sorry... :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Alright i got a question to the guys in leagues outside Australia and England. Having a look around it seems that Div II in New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan and India are fairly similar to Sri Lanka. So i was wondering what you guys think the standard is required to make Div II and secondly be competitive.

Im in Div III Sri Lanka and have come 2nd two seasons in a row, this season i came equal 1st. These are my current ratings:

Top Order: Respectable
Middle Order: Competent
Lower Order: Abysmal
Seam Bowling: Mediorce-Competent
Spin Bowling: Mediorce-Competent
Fielding: Woeful

Well the first thing i have to do is finish 1st, the team came 1st, Toolmanteam, is playing White Knights, with the loser playing in my league. There no other teams that come close to us really:

Code:
              Toolmanteam White Kinghts
Top Order:    Strong      Strong
Middle Order: Woeful      Woeful
Lower Order:  Abysmal     Woeful
Seam Bowling: Competent   Respectable
Spin Bowling: Remarkable  Mediorce
Fielding:     Woeful      Feeble
I expect Toolmanteam to win, cus of their spinner Arjuna Rodrigo (44k BT), but Knights have SL NT batsmen Aviksha Malik (360k BT), his scary. But Knights don't have anyone in their team apart from Malik. I beat Toolmanteam in our last game on TIE and having a look at Knights fixtures, similar sides to mine have beat them. So im slightly confident i can beat both of them next season. Both rely on a couple players.

But the real question i like to know is what standard is required to be competitve in Div II outside Australia and England. I've played VIpers (Pakistan Div II) a couple times and both matches have been close, so if their a guide i shouldn't be that far, Alex came 5th this season though. So how good go you think i need to be to beat either of those teams and be competitve in Div II.

I see my real weakness as my bowling attack (Superb/Mediorce, Strong/Feeble, Strong/Woeful, Proficient/Feeble and Respectable/Feeble) So considering buying in a Strong fast bowler to replace my Respectable fast bowler. If im still two seasons away, then im probably better off saving money for Superb fast bowler.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
V.Quick question for Scaly if you're about. If an All-rounder has BTR of 9,526, and he's Med Stam, Resp/Woe bat, Resp/Resp Bowl, Abs Field, how far up the levels is he? The wage is £668, but I'm presuming that's next to useless, as he'll have been trained all season?

Plus, A, how much would you say a fair price would be for such a beast? And B, if A =>£600K (About the size of my transfer Kitty) Would anybody be interested in bidding on Bennett today if I were to list him? 19yo, Resp Stam, Prof/Med Bat, no more than a couple of weeks from Strong?

Later, Trev

andyc

trevor_vayro said:
V.Quick question for Scaly if you're about. If an All-rounder has BTR of 9,526, and he's Med Stam, Resp/Woe bat, Resp/Resp Bowl, Abs Field, how far up the levels is he? The wage is £668, but I'm presuming that's next to useless, as he'll have been trained all season?

Plus, A, how much would you say a fair price would be for such a beast? And B, if A =>£600K (About the size of my transfer Kitty) Would anybody be interested in bidding on Bennett today if I were to list him? 19yo, Resp Stam, Prof/Med Bat, no more than a couple of weeks from Strong?

Later, Trev
How old is he, Trev?

Unless he's 17, I'd say that 600k would be too much for a player like that. I've not really been watching the market that much, so I may be wrong, but it seems too much for a player with fairly ordinary secondaries, and one who isn't even proficient yet. By the way, do you know he's been receiving training? Cause if he had been trained all season (assuming he was getting a batting and a bowling net), you'd probably expect someone with a wage of 688 to be proficient in at least one of the skills. That said, Scaly will probably come in and disprove everything I've just said, so I wouldn't take my word to heart.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
You're reading my mind young Andy! Yes he's 17, and yes I'm figuring that if he's been trained then presumably he's close to Prof in one or other discipline - Hopefully Bowling. TBH the batting would just be a bonus, I really need to do something about my lamentable bowling attack, as Sunday's match demonstrated. Having said that, it's a good job that he has batting potential if I'm going to have to sell Bennett to finance the deal.

Had a £330K bid on a 17YO Dest Resp/Comp RM overnight, but the auction ended at two o'clock in the morning our time, and some swine snuck in after I'd gone to bed, and got him with one more bid! I know that the training time is compromised buying a 17yo at this stage of the season, but I was hoping that might be a factor which would drive the prices down. Plus, even if I get a bottom of the range Resp now, by the time they turn 18 they'll be Strong, Qual by 20, and could go on to be special, for a relatively small amount of cash.

BTW, haven't been in the office much this week, so haven't had a chance to congratulate you for Sunday. Well deserved win, but felt a little bit hard done by, A, as I felt I had the edge on the ratings, and B, as it was one of those games where the score doesn't really tell the full story. An eight wicket margin tends to suggest I was thrashed, whereas I thought we bottled you up quite effectively, and we might have had a chance had I possessed someone better than Edworthy to throw at youfor the death overs. But Canning was the difference between the sides, so well done.

Oh and Adam, have you seen an old friend is on the transfer market? Sterling Gillespie. Bit rich for me at £1.5M, but he's getting to the age whereby you could ramp up his secondaries and make him a tidy player - Though probably not at your level.

Later, Trev

Scaly piscine

trevor_vayro said:

Later, Trev
BTR range of 8500-14000, so he's very low.

Finally back online again after my hard drive bit the dust on my superior computer.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Hmm, Wouldn't really mind the fact that he's low Resp Bowl, as I can train him up over time to become something useful, and he'd be better than what I've already got within half a season. I am however worried about the effect on my middle order of replacing a near-Strong Bat with a low Resp. How else could I do it I wonder?...I have £449K in the bank, he's currently going for £700K…Suppose I could put Carey up for sale instead, (21YO Comp Stam, Resp/Woe Bat, Med Field). I might, just might, get a bid of £120K for him by tea time, which would give me the readies to have at least one bid…Plus it wouldn't be the end of the world to lose Carey in any case, as I could replace him for next to nowt.

Also, do you reckon it would be worth training up either of these two to Prof, in order to try and fetch a bit more for them? I know that both are close, but given their ages, I don't know how long it'd take.

Theo Bent (523939)

RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime

A cautious player with feeble leadership skills and feeble experience.

Table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Plays For: Cymru Gurgitaters
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 8,339 (+13)
Wages: £1,136 p/w
table end

Table with 4 columns and 4 rows
Stamina: respectable Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: woeful
Bowling: respectable Consistency:feeble
Fielding: abysmal

Brad Edworthy (302221)

RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime

A steady player with feeble leadership skills and respectable experience.

Battrick Rating: 7,626 (+11)
Wages: £1,057 p/w
table end

Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: woeful Concentration: feeble
Bowling: respectable Consistency: mediocre

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Scaly, sorry to be a pain mate, but how far up would an all-rounder with a BTR of 13,198
Be, if he's Comp Stam, Prof/Woe Bat, Resp/Resp Bowl, Feeb Field?

Come on all you bargain-hunters, Bennett is up for a snip at £700K. If he's more than three weeks away from Strong Bat I'll buy him back off you! He's all ready to go for FC, with the kind'a stamina which makes his girlfriend chafe! and future captaincy material to boot!

Jordan Bennett (521631)

LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime

A cautious player with strong leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Battrick Rating: 11,587 (+433)
Wages: £1,244 p/w
table end

Stamina: respectable Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: proficient Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: worthless Consistency: competent

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Tar mate, fingers crossed I get a few bids for Bennett and I could be in business. Though if I don't get anyone I'm keen on, then I could end up having to try and buy Bennett back on Christmas Eve, which I imagine will please the Mrs. No end!

Scaly piscine

Haven't had time to properly read all the stuff that I've missed while I was offline, but with regards to spinners I think to get the most out of them you have to bowl them 10 straight. Dillon has been a complete gun lately bowling 10 overs straight and has kept it tight and gotten good players out (think all my last 7 matches he's been bowling 10 straight, taking 1-27, 2-31, 0-29, 5-20, 2-38, 2-44, 4-29 all off 10 overs).

His career average is 17.56 with ER 3.98, but his average is only that low from picking up collapse wickets in the past (ignoring his recent efforts). Those 10 over spells I've listed are fairly early in the game and don't include any slog overs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.