Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should i improve

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Hmm also found this (bearing in mind this was at the start of season one):
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Major lower order collapse. 248/5 becomes 251.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc
    Seems to happen a lot in Battrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Worth training this guy I suppose:

Vasuman Dangasela - 19 yo, BT Rating=4,941
    LH Batsman, RFM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, fresh
    A steady player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.
    Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: worthless
    Batting: abysmal Concentration: woeful
    Bowling: respectable Consistency: mediocre
    Fielding: mediocre

Bowling + Fitness net. Wage of 856 so should pop to proficient in about 8-9 weeks.

Otherwise just look at what I've said before in the thread for most new teams as in buying cheap trainees so you're getting use of your nets.

Nets are the one thing that's constant for all teams - best to the worst have 10 nets. So get the most use out of them as you can as they're your only starting asset.
    Already getting him trained. I'm looking on buying younger players first before I start to buy more coaches.

You HAVE to have ten nets, there's no question about it.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Unlucky.

I'd play something like:

C Singh
    R Padayachie
    N Padayachie
    G Naidoo*
    N Mohammed
    D Dangasela+
    V Dangasela (RFM)
    B Govender (RF)
    A Naidoo (LFM)
    Bansi Haishen (RFM)
    Bhupendra Haishen (RFM)
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Eeek. That's really not a nice starting squad

In no particular order...

I'd start by training the two Dangaselas - Vasuman in fielding (for his consistency) and stamina, and Deependra in WK...maybe batting as well. They could be pretty decent players next season.

Vasuman Dangasela, Bhupendra & Bansi Haishen and Amulya Naidoo are your bowlers - Jagadhidh Singh is a red herring, and should be sold off - you might even get something for him! For now, Raju Dangasela will hold up an end.

Mohammed (not enough stamina), Gopal Naidoo, Rujul Padayachie and Chittaprasad Singh are your only batsmen worth having - might be worth training Singh, but that's it.

Sell all the rest, for whatever you can get!

Your best bet would be to buy in some cheap trainees - to be honest, £30k or so would probably be enough to get a player better than most of your starting lineup

If you put the training in place, you're going to do well the season after next. This season and next, you're going for survival (which shouldn't be too hard, with all the advice you'll get on here) - DO NOT go all-out for promotion*, as it could hurt your chances later.

* If you do just happen to find yourself top of the league, go for it...just don't sacrifice training and finances for it.
    Last edited by Mahindinho; 01-11-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Help!

After losing my 9th game of 11 this season (7th of 8 league games) i'm really starting to struggle to come up with new idea's that might get me another win. I've tried rejigging both my batting & bowling line-ups numerous times, but nothing seems to work. I've had a collapse in EVERY game this season, and it's really starting to tick me off. Add to that, i've only managed to take more than 5 wickets twice.

Anyway, here's my squad

Code:
    Brian Adams - 21 yo, BT Rating=5,780  
    LH Batsman, LF Bowler, mediocre batting form, proficient bowling form, sublime 
    A steady player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: mediocre 
    Batting: mediocre Concentration: mediocre 
    Bowling: woeful Consistency: mediocre 

Rob Appleyard - 17 yo, BT Rating=5,487  
    RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
    A steady player with abysmal leadership skills and worthless experience. 
    Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless 
    Batting: competent Concentration: competent 
    Bowling: woeful Consistency: worthless 
    Fielding: worthless     

Patrick Beer - 18 yo, BT Rating=3,987  
    RH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, proficient batting form, feeble bowling form, sublime 
    A steady player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: worthless 
    Batting: worthless Concentration: mediocre 
    Bowling: competent Consistency: feeble 
    Fielding: woeful     

Lloyd Groves - 18 yo, BT Rating=5,866  
    RH Batsman, RF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic 
    A steady player with competent leadership skills and woeful experience. 
    Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless 
    Batting: woeful Concentration: woeful 
    Bowling: proficient Consistency: feeble 

Bob Holt - 17 yo, BT Rating=1,527   
    LH Batsman, LM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, lively 
    A destructive player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience. 
    Batting: mediocre Concentration: feeble 
    Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless 

Mahinda Kandage - 17 yo, BT Rating=4,063  
    RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, strong batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
    A steady player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: worthless Concentration: feeble 
    Bowling: competent Consistency: mediocre 

Greg Ludlow - 17 yo, BT Rating=5,358  
    RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, respectable bowling form, sublime 
    An attacking player with superb leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Bowling: worthless Consistency: mediocre 
    Fielding: abysmal     

Hamid Meyer - 19 yo, BT Rating=13,192  
    RH Batsman, LFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic 
    An attacking player with woeful leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Stamina: respectable Wicket Keeping: abysmal 
    Batting: respectable Concentration: feeble 

Lewis Nieuwenhuis - 22 yo, BT Rating=5,903  
    RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic 
    An attacking player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: competent Concentration: mediocre 
    Bowling: abysmal Consistency: mediocre 
    Fielding: feeble     

Bhim **** - 18 yo, BT Rating=2,904  
    RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, worthless batting form, feeble bowling form, sublime 
    A destructive player with abysmal leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: worthless Concentration: worthless 
    Bowling: competent Consistency: feeble 

Bill Parker - 17 yo, BT Rating=3,355  
    LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, strong batting form, proficient bowling form, sublime 
    A destructive player with feeble leadership skills and worthless experience. 
    Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: feeble 
    Batting: competent Concentration: feeble 
    Bowling: feeble Consistency: worthless 

Kevin Savage - 18 yo, BT Rating=8,054  
    RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
    A cautious player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: worthless Concentration: mediocre 
    Bowling: respectable Consistency: respectable 

Ron Stroud - 18 yo, BT Rating=10,580  
    A steady player with mediocre leadership skills and woeful experience. 
    Batting: proficient Concentration: competent 
    Bowling: mediocre Consistency: competent 

Gerry Taylor - 19 yo, BT Rating=6,947  
    RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
    A steady player with superb leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: respectable 
    Bowling: feeble Consistency: abysmal 

Barry Tracey - 29 yo, BT Rating=4,396  
    LH Batsman, LF Bowler, respectable batting form, abysmal bowling form, sublime 
    A cautious player with respectable leadership skills and woeful experience. 
    Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: worthless 
    Batting: competent Concentration: woeful 
    Bowling: woeful Consistency: woeful 

Rocky Walton - 18 yo, BT Rating=7,428  
    A defensive player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: mediocre 
    Batting: mediocre Concentration: woeful 
    Bowling: respectable Consistency: woeful 

Toby Verhoeven - 17 yo, BT Rating=4,115  
    RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, competent batting form, feeble bowling form, invigorated 
    A defensive player with superb leadership skills and worthless experience. 
    Bowling: competent Consistency: competent 
    Currently my line-up is.

1.Ludlow
    2.Nieuwenhuis
    3.Appleyard
    4.Stroud
    5.Taylor*+
    6.Meyer(LFM)3
    7.Tracey
    8.Walton(RM)1
    9.Groves(RF)4
    10.Savage(RFM)2
    11.Verhoeven(RFM)5

I've only just moved Taylor & Meyer up the order for today's match, previously they'd been batting @ 6 and 7 respectively. Apart from those two, Stroud & Ludlow are the only 2batsmen who have batted in the same position for pretty much the whole season, with Stroud opening 1 or 2 games. As my Best batsmen, should i be batting Stroud as an opener, or at least at 3? He has scored a century, and 3 50's at 4 so far this season.

The biggest problem i've had with my bowling attack is that i haven't been able to get early wickets. Today was the 1st match in 5 weeks where i've been able to take a wicket in the first 5 overs. Previously, i'd relied on Meyer picking up 2/3 during the middle overs, which he has done all season, however, when teams are chasing, this is no help, as they are always going into the last 10 overs with plenty of wickets up their sleeve.

Any help would be most welcome, i'm at my wits end as to what i can do for a win, the solitary win in the League came due to my opponent under-estimating me a little to much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

I don't think there's much you can do other than what you said, I would move your fast bowler to an opening slot in place of your medium pacer, he's better anyway and might get a bonus when bowling with the new ball (in reality he should because he's fast, but who knows with Allan). Meyer I might also open the bowling with as he's your next best bowler and it's a bit of variety with a left-armer.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

I had groves opening the bowling at one stage, all he did was get slaughtered

Might try it with him & Meyer in the Cup sunday, only question i had about opening with Meyer is will he be able to hack it? Cause chances are he will be called upon with the bat.

EDIT: Should i switch Stroud & Appleyard around? or perhaps Stroud to open, Nieuwenhuis to 3, and applyard to 4? I always lose my first 2 wickets about 2/3 overs apart
    Last edited by Johnners; 03-11-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo
    I had groves opening the bowling at one stage, all he did was get slaughtered

Might try it with him & Meyer in the Cup sunday, only question i had about opening with Meyer is will he be able to hack it? Cause chances are he will be called upon with the bat.

EDIT: Should i switch Stroud & Appleyard around? or perhaps Stroud to open, Nieuwenhuis to 3, and applyard to 4? I always lose my first 2 wickets about 2/3 overs apart
    If you're up against teams you can compete with he's your best guy to open, if you're mismatched whoever bowls will get hammered. I'm sure they can hack it opening the bowling since it's only 5 overs. If you're worried about his PFL bowl him first and last (think that's number 1 in sets of 5).

Personally I would have Stroud at 2/3. It depends if you have anyone with cautious/defensive temperament (and good enough) to open.

yeah, I have bowling orders on sets of 5, found it to be by most effective.

Banned
    Clapo im probably just as experienced as you in playing battrick but my personal opinion is you need to get rid of those Mediocres definetly and also I think you have way to many compotents in your first eleven to be successful I mean they have quite nice secondries a few of them but to be successful in the League your are in atm you probably needed quite a few more resp/prof to counter a few of the higher teams.

By all Means take this on board or chuck it away in the garbage.

Cheers,

AD

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    Clapo im probably just as experienced as you in playing battrick but my personal opinion is you need to get rid of those Mediocres definetly and also I think you have way to many compotents in your first eleven to be successful I mean they have quite nice secondries a few of them but to be successful in the League your are in atm you probably needed quite a few more resp/prof to counter a few of the higher teams.

By all Means take this on board or chuck it away in the garbage.

Cheers,

AD

Only have 1 mediocre, who is a backup Bat. I know the main problem is i don't have enough Resp players , however, i'm doing all i can to recitify the situation. Ludlow & Appleyard are about 3/4 weeks off of a Batting pop, and Verhoeven 1/2 from a bowling pop. Would like to do something more about it, but with members leaving, and only 80k in the bank, i can't afford to buy any established resp/prof players. Add to that, i don't have any free nets.

I know i'm outta my league, and will lose far more games than i'll win (i'm really starting to regret winning that playoff), however i know my team is capable off pulling off an upset or 3, especially if Stroud/Meyer/Groves/Savage & Walton have a good game. I want to make sure i have the right line-up though, so when that chance arises i can take it with both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    If you're up against teams you can compete with he's your best guy to open, if you're mismatched whoever bowls will get hammered. I'm sure they can hack it opening the bowling since it's only 5 overs. If you're worried about his PFL bowl him first and last (think that's number 1 in sets of 5).

Personally I would have Stroud at 2/3. It depends if you have anyone with cautious/defensive temperament (and good enough) to open.
    Stoud's temperement is Steady, and the only player i have with a cautious temperament is Tracey, who is Com/Woe/Comp Stamina, which i doubt would be good enough to open?

Perhaps if i had Stroud & Appleyard opening together? Both are steady, and then have Nieuwenhuis @ 3 & Ludlow at 4, both of whom are attacking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo
    Only have 1 mediocre, who is a backup Bat. I know the main problem is i don't have enough Resp players , however, i'm doing all i can to recitify the situation. Ludlow & Appleyard are about 3/4 weeks off of a Batting pop, and Verhoeven 1/2 from a bowling pop. Would like to do something more about it, but with members leaving, and only 80k in the bank, i can't afford to buy any established resp/prof players. Add to that, i don't have any free nets.

I know i'm outta my league, and will lose far more games than i'll win (i'm really starting to regret winning that playoff), however i know my team is capable off pulling off an upset or 3, especially if Stroud/Meyer/Groves/Savage & Walton have a good game. I want to make sure i have the right line-up though, so when that chance arises i can take it with both hands.
    Yeah your team will improve gradually with more training sessions the longer you play the better you will get so you have probably improved a lot this season but you have also struggled as a result of other teams basically playing for longer than you.

You have some quite good depth for a side about to relegate to Div V so just keep it up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    It's exactly two months to the day can someone please access at how much ive improved? As many contributions as possible please but would like to definetly hear scaly as he assessed me last time.

Cheers,

AD

Code:
    4. George Findlay (791786)  
    LH Batsman, LF Bowler, strong batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
    A defensive player with woeful leadership skills and feeble experience. 

Plays For: Pup 
    Nationality: England 
    Battrick Rating: 7,749 (-117)  
    Wages: £2,168 p/w 

Batting: strong Concentration: feeble 
    Bowling: worthless Consistency: feeble 

Terry Pollard (854028)  
    RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic 
    An attacking player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience. 

Nationality: New Zealand 
    Battrick Rating: 5,903 (+207)  
    Wages: £641 p/w 

Batting: respectable Concentration: competent 

13. Liam Paris (789111)  
    RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, fresh 
    A cautious player with superb leadership skills and worthless experience. 

Nationality: Australia 
    Battrick Rating: 9,775 (+463)  
    Wages: £2,644 p/w 

Batting: superb Concentration: woeful 

9. Terry Nevin (357222)  
    LH Batsman, LF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
    A steady player with feeble leadership skills and woeful experience. 

Battrick Rating: 5,896 (-97)  
    Wages: £755 p/w 

Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: woeful 
    Batting: respectable Concentration: mediocre 
    Bowling: abysmal Consistency: woeful 

16. Manogaran Weerakoon (351049)  

Nationality: Sri Lanka 
    Battrick Rating: 3,932 (+3)  
    Wages: £735 p/w 

Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: feeble 
    Batting: respectable Concentration: abysmal 

1. Kris Coates (792526)  
    A cautious player with superb leadership skills and abysmal experience. 

Nationality: New Zealand 
    Battrick Rating: 13,499 (+657)  
    Wages: £1,975 p/w 

Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: strong 
    Batting: respectable Concentration: competent 
    Bowling: worthless Consistency: woeful 

Stuart Street (884903)  
    RH Batsman, RF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, moderate 
    A defensive player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience. 

Battrick Rating: 8,838 (+357)  
    Wages: £955 p/w 

Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: abysmal 
    Batting: worthless Concentration: abysmal 
    Bowling: proficient Consistency: proficient 

17. Kelvin Verhoeven (791793)  
    LH Batsman, LFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 
    A defensive player with woeful leadership skills and worthless experience. 

Battrick Rating: 7,356 (-22)  
    Wages: £1,803 p/w 

5. Ross Jones (791797)  
    RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic 
    A steady player with strong leadership skills and abysmal experience. 

Battrick Rating: 7,377 (+188)  
    Wages: £922 p/w 

Batting: feeble Concentration: woeful 
    Bowling: respectable Consistency: competent 

8. David Mee (786468)  
    LH Batsman, LM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic 
    A steady player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience. 

Battrick Rating: 8,161 (+235)  
    Wages: £932 p/w 

Bowling: proficient Consistency: respectable 

Malcolm Hilpert (939486)  
    RH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime 

Battrick Rating: 4,776 (+140)  
    Wages: £560 p/w 

Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: woeful 
    Batting: abysmal Concentration: worthless 

Felt the time to reignite this thread so if possible pick up a few things that will help everyone next season.

Code:
     1. Kris Coates - 18 yo, BT Rating=18,950  
    A cautious player with superb leadership skills and woeful experience. 
    Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: superb 
    Batting: proficient Concentration: respectable 

3. George Findlay - 28 yo, BT Rating=8,260  
    A defensive player with woeful leadership skills and feeble experience. 
    Batting: strong Concentration: feeble 
    Bowling: worthless Consistency: feeble 

6. Liam Paris - 18 yo, BT Rating=12,616  
    RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, invigorated
    A cautious player with superb leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: superb Concentration: woeful 

14. Terry Pollard - 18 yo, BT Rating=7,429  
    An attacking player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: proficient Concentration: competent 

12. Dev Jefferson - 17 yo, BT Rating=6,718  
    A defensive player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: proficient Concentration: feeble 
    Bowling: mediocre Consistency: worthless 

5. Terry Nevin - 21 yo, BT Rating=6,150  
    A steady player with feeble leadership skills and woeful experience. 
    Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: woeful 
    Batting: respectable Concentration: mediocre 

11. Kirk Hinshelwood - 22 yo, BT Rating=7,169  
    An attacking player with competent leadership skills and woeful experience. 
    Bowling: competent Consistency: woeful 

17. Paul Colley - 25 yo, BT Rating=6,736  
    RH Batsman, RF Bowler, superb batting form, strong bowling form, sublime
    An attacking player with respectable leadership skills and woeful experience. 
    Batting: woeful Concentration: woeful 

8. Kelvin Verhoeven - 22 yo, BT Rating=7,387  
    LH Batsman, LFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
    A defensive player with woeful leadership skills and abysmal experience. 

16. Stuart Street - 18 yo, BT Rating=11,684  
    RH Batsman, RF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, fair
    A defensive player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: abysmal 
    Batting: worthless Concentration: abysmal 
    Bowling: proficient Consistency: proficient 

4. David Mee - 18 yo, BT Rating=10,063  
    LH Batsman, LM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
    A steady player with worthless leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Bowling: proficient Consistency: respectable 

Batting Order Above.

Other Players Below :

2. Ledley Conner - 22 yo, BT Rating=2,250  
    RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, worthless batting form, woeful bowling form, sublime
    An attacking player with woeful leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Batting: mediocre Concentration: feeble 
    Bowling: abysmal Consistency: mediocre 

LOL HE WONT SELL!

7. Manogaran Weerakoon - 22 yo, BT Rating=3,095  
    LH Batsman, LF Bowler, mediocre batting form, proficient bowling form, sublime
    Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: feeble 
    Batting: respectable Concentration: abysmal 

9. Travis Wonnacott - 20 yo, BT Rating=3,443  
    LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, worthless batting form, worthless bowling form, sublime
    A defensive player with strong leadership skills and worthless experience. 
    Stamina: worthless Wicket Keeping: worthless 
    Batting: feeble Concentration: worthless 
    Bowling: competent Consistency: respectable 

10. Malcolm Hilpert - 19 yo, BT Rating=4,856  
    RH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
    Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: woeful 
    Batting: abysmal Concentration: worthless 

13. Joe Pearse - 25 yo, BT Rating=5,664  
    RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, proficient batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
    A defensive player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience. 

15. Thomas Simpson - 28 yo, BT Rating=5,633  
    LH Batsman, LM Bowler, respectable batting form, mediocre bowling form, sublime
    A cautious player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience. 
    Stamina: proficient Wicket Keeping: worthless 
    Batting: abysmal Concentration: abysmal 
    Bowling: competent Consistency: woeful 

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information