• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Secondaries

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Now we have our own forum, I'll ask a question that's been bugging me for weeks but I hadn't posted because the main thread is so fluid.

I know people link Concentration to Batting and Consistency to Bowling, but I'm also of the opinion that they also help the other primary as well (to a smaller degree)

Any thoughts?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am fairly sure that that is the case, albeit very slightly. I know that a batting net will help improve consistency a tiny bit, so you'd then assume that consistency does help with batting, and the same for concentration and bowling. Not worth giving them a net just to get up the other secondary though, at least IMO.

Cloete

International Captain
A few more questions I've got about secondaries.

Would a guy with say Respectable bowling and Mediocre consistency be better than a guy who's Comp/Comp? Do secondaries have that much weight that they can replace primary skill? Or is it more like 1/2 the primary weighting? Also, is this more profound in bowling than batting?

andyc

Cloete said:

Would a guy with say Respectable bowling and Mediocre consistency be better than a guy who's Comp/Comp? Do secondaries have that much weight that they can replace primary skill? Or is it more like 1/2 the primary weighting? Also, is this more profound in bowling than batting?
Resp/med definitely> comp/comp. If you've got something like resp/woef and comp/resp though, then it's a bit different.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I remember SP saying that 3 secondaries levels = 1 primary. So with that in mind com/resp should be better then resp/woe.

Cloete

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I remember SP saying that 3 secondaries levels = 1 primary. So with that in mind com/resp should be better then resp/woe.
Fair enough.

Mainly wondering because Swagat will be competent/wonderful soon. So I'm just wondering how good he is at batting :p

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:

I'd be more comfortable using a bowler with low secondaries than a batsman with low secondaries. I find that batsmen with low concentration tend to get out very cheaply, while bowlers with low consistency are sometimes expensive but are still capable of taking wickets.

It'll be interesting to see how secondaries will work in FC matches. I'm guessing batsmen with high primaries but lower concentration (e.g. Cuss - wonderful/strong) will be able to get centuries with ease but will have difficulty going on to really big scores. As for bowlers, I assume those with low concentration will be noticeably more expensive than the others, but should still be capable of taking wickets if they have a good primary.

Adamc said:
I'd be more comfortable using a bowler with low secondaries than a batsman with low secondaries. I find that batsmen with low concentration tend to get out very cheaply, while bowlers with low consistency are sometimes expensive but are still capable of taking wickets.

It'll be interesting to see how secondaries will work in FC matches. I'm guessing batsmen with high primaries but lower concentration (e.g. Cuss - wonderful/strong) will be able to get centuries with ease but will have difficulty going on to really big scores. As for bowlers, I assume those with low concentration will be noticeably more expensive than the others, but should still be capable of taking wickets if they have a good primary.
i think the minimum stamina and concentration/consistency in first class cricket will be competent who agrees

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
AussieDominance said:
i think the minimum stamina and concentration/consistency in first class cricket will be competent who agrees
I don't think there'll be a minimum, as such. You'll be able to play feeble stamina players, but I expect they'll take a huge crash in fitness and probably perform poorly in the second innings.

But assuming you've got a very good bowler with feeble stamina, I hope you can set him to very attacking for the first two sessions of a match, and then hope that's enough. :D

nibbs

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I hope its mediocre or im stuffed
ffs, there is no such thing as a minimum. all just depends on who you're playing. in the lower leagues there will be plenty of sides who don't have . having good secondaries will help, yes, but it's not the end of the world imo if you don't have them

Scaly piscine

Yea, the minimum stamina stuff gets on my nerves. I see it on sledging boards and on JFW, they're like if your openers aren't respectable stamina the sky is going to fall in, all-rounders need at least strong... gawd, they're just as daft when they're on about one-day staminas as well.

Anyway all my main contributors, except Lisbie who I can just use as a batsman if needs be, should be at least competent stamina by the time the FC games come. The other fill in players don't matter so much as they'll bowl/bat less anyway.

The 3 secondary level = 1 primary level thing was just my observation of how my players played, I expect it'll be different for FC games and is maybe why the secondaries take so damn long to pop now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AussieDominance said:
How do you mean?

Will every player who plays FC be automatically upgraded to competent secondaries?

andyc

AussieDominance said:
Well, for one, it depends what division you're in. If you're in Div 5, feeble would probably be a decent starting point for a team, while in Div 1, a player with competent secondaries may find himself getting out for about 50, or copping a bit of stick. And, it depends what kind of player he is.. if he's a number 6 or 7 batsman, he doesn't really require his concentration to be super high. And, also, a player with less-than standard secondaries can still perform well, he just may, like I said, hit a 50 or so and get out, or a bowler may end up taking something like 3/50 off 10 overs-- they get carted around a bit, but still take wickets