Page 708 of 709 FirstFirst ... 208608658698706707708709 LastLast
Results 10,606 to 10,620 of 10624

Thread: Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Usually the thread loads pretty much straight away, but when the site's slow (which is fairly often) it takes noticeably longer than the smaller threads. I imagine it would be pretty frustrating for people on dial-up.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender
    Any news, Adam?

Email me: etendard@gmail.com
    Hmm
    No record of Geg or Tawonga on file. Ask him to mail admin@battrick.org.uk with full details including his old username and we look into it.

May as well start a new thread really, not going to make that much difference having older stuff in a separate thread, so someone might have to look for something twice - not really that much of a problem.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Training revealed two pops last night - Brooker to Quality bowling, and Verma to Respectable consistency.

That brings my bowling attack to:

John - Qual/Qual LH Spin (steady)
    Brooker - Qual/Qual RFM (attacking)
    Hirst - Superb/Qual LF (destructive) <-- should go to Quality any time now
    Gibb - Strong/??? ?F (defensive?)
    Verma - Strong/Resp ?FM (cautious?)

Without being able to access BT right now, I can't remember Gibb's consistency (although it's better than Verma's) and whether Gibb or Verma is the defensive one.

As an uneven pitch was destroying my nerves (although I'd always win in the end), I've decided to change to cracked. Jumpers for Wickets suggests that it benefits consistency (which I've got) but offers reasonable runs for batsmen with high concentration (which I've also got).

Mind you, I'm still worried about the propensity for shock results - I've got the best all-round team in my league, so I'd rather not get shocked! Dusty is out (only one spinner), and I'm not a fan of Flat after previous encounters with &#252;berbatsmen who I just couldn't get out. H&F perhaps? Any ideas?

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    I would consider Green, because you have an awesome bowling attack, and it's not too slanted against batsmen, so your guns would still be able to dominate.

Damn good bowling attack though...
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

International Vice-Captain mikeW's Avatar
    i have 1.5m in the bank, should i continue to save and buy an absolute gun or buy a superb/Quality player?

Should save more, 1.5m won't get you much these days.

Yeah, 1.5 mil is nothing these days. Save, save.

ok will do, hmm im not really sure what i need more anymore. I always thought my batting was my weakness but i managed a respectable top order rating last match, might get a batting keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    I would consider Green, because you have an awesome bowling attack, and it's not too slanted against batsmen, so your guns would still be able to dominate.
    Green! I don't know why, but I didn't even consider that one. It makes sense. Ta very muchly!

mikeW - I really wouldn't buy "good" players (strong/superb/quality) until the market settles down. You'd be MUCH better off buying trainable proficients now. I reckon the market for "good" players will start to settle by the end of next season, as the season 1-3 teams move towards that level for most of their players rather than just one or two.

The market for the true guns*, i.e. "great" players, who at the moment are remarkable or better (see the CW 1st and 2nd XIs), won't settle for ages I reckon. If anything, prices might go up as more teams save up vast bundles of cash.

* You know, I don't think I ever heard that term before coming here. Didn't know what you lot were wittering on about at first, but I kinda like it now

All the above is pure conjecture though

Posted on Battrick devs board (by me):

New Bowling Orders

Hope this displays properly... anyway it's a sort of hybrid of default and sets of five without the 10 overs straight (or nearly 10 overs straight) spells. I figure it's quite close to real life when it was the first 15 overs that had the fielding restrictions (I believe the engine works on that assumption). During this time teams would be loathed to use their weaker bowlers in that first 15 - these orders avoid that. These orders minimise the long spells and have one bowler who just bowls in the boring part of the game (overs 16-40) - nearly every international team had a guy who'd do that role (usually a spinner). Similarly you'll rarely ever see one guy bowl 5 straight overs in the last 10, so that's different here too (usually there are lots of chopping and changing just to stop the batsmen getting used to a bowler but I've tried to minimise that too just so it looks less random).

Over Bowler No
    1 1
    2 2
    3 1
    4 2
    5 1
    6 2
    7 1
    8 2
    9 1
    10 2
    11 3
    12 2
    13 3
    14 2
    15 3
    16 5
    17 3
    18 5
    19 3
    20 5
    21 4
    22 5
    23 4
    24 5
    25 4
    26 5
    27 4
    28 2
    29 4
    30 2
    31 4
    32 2
    33 4
    34 5
    35 3
    36 5
    37 3
    38 5
    39 1
    40 5
    41 1
    42 4
    43 3
    44 4
    45 1
    46 4
    47 1
    48 3
    49 1
    50 3

Would be miles better than what's available at the moment in my opinion and far more realistic. What do other people think? Feel free to bring up more bowling orders to Allan in the Q&A as well...

Like it!

Mind you, I'm not sure whether there's a plan to implement custom bowling orders. If so, I'll probably be nicking yours

Quote Originally Posted by Mahindinho
    Green! I don't know why, but I didn't even consider that one. It makes sense. Ta very muchly!

mikeW - I really wouldn't buy "good" players (strong/superb/quality) until the market settles down. You'd be MUCH better off buying trainable proficients now. I reckon the market for "good" players will start to settle by the end of next season, as the season 1-3 teams move towards that level for most of their players rather than just one or two.

The market for the true guns*, i.e. "great" players, who at the moment are remarkable or better (see the CW 1st and 2nd XIs), won't settle for ages I reckon. If anything, prices might go up as more teams save up vast bundles of cash.

* You know, I don't think I ever heard that term before coming here. Didn't know what you lot were wittering on about at first, but I kinda like it now

All the above is pure conjecture though
    I definitely agree with you, I've said it a fair bit. It's also sort of my training credo - I won't really train anyone unless it's to a fairly high level (well, quality~remarkable at least, because that'll stay a good, competitive level for a while I'd imagine). I think buying players around the Strong/Superb range is just a quick-fix sort of purchase, and they'll soon become "average", whereas had you saved up a bit longer, you could've got a real gun remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahindinho
    Like it!

Mind you, I'm not sure whether there's a plan to implement custom bowling orders. If so, I'll probably be nicking yours
    Yea I'd use mine as well, it's sort of based on this attack:

1 - good tearaway fast bowler
    2 - quality line & length seam bowler
    3 - generic good fast medium or medium fast seam bowler
    4 - weak seam bowler
    5 - spinner/medium pacer/weakest bowler

I figure this fits in well with what most international sides have in real life.

But in Battrick I'd have

1 - Horne
    2 - Pace
    3 - Lisbie
    4 - Dillon
    5 - Cahalane/Parr

Yep im gonna save up to get a remarkable bat or bowl.

Thread Information