• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
Can I have Cuss please?

I lost by 7 wickets, with 17 balls to spare.
Let's see. If I put him on the transfer market for 3 million, will you bid? If so, yes.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Crumbs, Rocastle out for 72, decent knock though. 210-2 after 33, not bad but I'd rather they picked up the pace a bit. Gillespie's getting stuck in with 39* off 33 so far, and Begg's just come to the crease to play his first non-friendly innings for my team. Both are set to 'very attacking' so hopefully we'll see some fireworks.

Btw ash, my academy's at respectable, I was only investing 8k/wk last season. Put it up to 12k this season because I was getting fed up with rubbish youth pulls, but haven't had any decent ones this season either. I've only kept one of them, sold/fired the rest.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm...

"We can tell you that Asterix XI won the toss and elected to bat. The pitch is looking slow and low. Tough for everyone. Could be a low scoring match.. "

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
Hmm...

"We can tell you that Asterix XI won the toss and elected to bat. The pitch is looking slow and low. Tough for everyone. Could be a low scoring match.. "
Yeah, they have a standard line for every type of pitch which they use regardless of who's playing or what the weather's like.

Gillespie's going berserk now, hitting 34 in 4 overs to take his tally to 78* off 55. 269/2 after 40, would like 100 off the last ten but it's usually a little less, maybe 80 or something.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I said I'd like 100 off the last ten, and I got 99. 368/3 in the end, Gillespie finishing unbeaten with his maiden century, 124* off just 83 balls. Career-best for Begg as well, 70 off 55, threw his wicket away in the last over. Berry came in for a delightful cameo of 1*, wonderful contribution from the captain. The opposition did have one bowler I was a bit worried about - after all he did have a bowling average of 3.75 coming into this game. He ended up with 10-0-87-1.

Don't know how fit Gillespie will be to open the bowling after his ton, should pick up a few cheap wickets though. Hopefully they'll last long enough for my spinner to have a bowl.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Chasing 190 to win here - Bryan Prest, the spin bowler I dropped from league games, took three wickets, and Nigel Lewis three as well. Herbert and Goodhead, the makeshift openers, have taken the score to 11 for 0.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
Don't know how fit Gillespie will be to open the bowling after his ton, should pick up a few cheap wickets though. Hopefully they'll last long enough for my spinner to have a bowl.
A bit ****y today? ;)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
A bit ****y today? ;)
Yep. Looking at the cup matches of the other teams in my league, they've all knocked over their opposition for around 100 or less. I do want my spinner to have a bowl though (he's fourth). Looks as though Gillespie's used up his form batting, wicketless after two overs. And Badley's just been hit for six. One wicket so far, albeit a runout.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
Yep. Looking at the cup matches of the other teams in my league, they've all knocked over their opposition for around 100 or less. I do want my spinner to have a bowl though (he's fourth). Looks as though Gillespie's used up his form batting, wicketless after two overs. And Badley's just been hit for six. One wicket so far, albeit a runout.
Oh well, 369 ought to be defendable. :p

Just lost Herbert for 16 - shame, really, he was there to hit the runs. I've learnt that he shouldn't be attacking. ;) And Fernandes for a five-ball duck, that's his average down to 23, then. Goodhead's still in...his career includes 63 and 50* in his two innings, but he's on 5* (16b), and no. 4 is Angell, who has talent but struggles to hit runs... :mellow:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
Oh well, 369 ought to be defendable. :p

Just lost Herbert for 16 - shame, really, he was there to hit the runs. I've learnt that he shouldn't be attacking. ;) And Fernandes for a five-ball duck, that's his average down to 23, then. Goodhead's still in...his career includes 63 and 50* in his two innings, but he's on 5* (16b), and no. 4 is Angell, who has talent but struggles to hit runs... :mellow:
He should meet Badley, who supposedly has talent but struggles to take wickets, or prevent the opposition from scoring runs. I let him open the bowling today in a bid to find form, but that failed: 5-0-33-1. Gillespie's having a modest day by his standards, 5-1-10-1 with two to go in his first spell. They're currently 52-3.

That's a mighty impressive winning streak you've got going, btw.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
He should meet Badley, who supposedly has talent but struggles to take wickets, or prevent the opposition from scoring runs. I let him open the bowling today in a bid to find form, but that failed: 5-0-33-1. Gillespie's having a modest day by his standards, 5-1-10-1 with two to go in his first spell. They're currently 52-3.

That's a mighty impressive winning streak you've got going, btw.
Hehe, thanks. I still think there must be a lot of clueless managers around, because I've logged in about once a week yet have 11 successive wins! :D

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
A bit ****y today? ;)
You know, I was actually being a bit ****ier than I thought. I was thinking that the spinner would come on to bowl around the 25th over, but he just bowled the 15th. Oh well, picked up a wicket in his first over, as did Male. 81-5.

Looks like you're going to get home comfortably as well.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Peter Willmott - 20 yo, BT Rating=4,341
LH Batsman, LFM Bowler, mediocre form, Healthy
An attacking player with mediocre leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: woeful
Bowling: competent Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: competent
what do people think of this guy, i promoted him from academy last month, he's played one game and bowled 10-3-20-0. Do you think he is worth persisting with? the tools all say he isn't amongst my best 5 bowlers but looking at my stats my first 4 bowlers have ave os 13.11, 18, 21.22 and 23.82 respectively whilst my 5th bowler is either 43.68 or 111, so i was thinking of giving him a go?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Won by 216 runs in the end, 368/3 v 152/10. Oddy cleaned up the tail with 4-12, Partridge took 2-42 and one each to Gillespie, Badley and Male. Oddy was awarded MotM somewhat bizarrely, ahead of Gillespie's 124* (83) and a wicket. Gillete had a shocker with the gloves though, 16 byes in 30 overs, easily his most.

Selection headaches for the next match as far as the bowling lineup goes, with Badley, Oddy and Partridge fighting for the last two bowling spots. Statistically Badley is the weakest, with just 11 wickets @ 51, but he is a respectable bowler so I'm not entirely comfortable with dropping him. Oddy is in the strongest position, 17 wickets @ 35 but with a reasonable ER as well (4.39) against Badley's 5.18. Partridge adds variety being a spinner, but he's a bit of a gamble as he's only mediocre. Meh, I'll probably play Partridge and Oddy and stick Badley in the nets until his form improves.

As for the batting lineup, Rocastle and Begg will probably drop back to 7 and 8 despite good performances in this match; simply too many good performers above them. I'm looking forward to the FC matches next season (hopefully), given that my top eight average 153, 51, 98, 50, 107, 123, 43 and 29 respectively. Only problem is that I don't have any batsmen under 20 to train so I might suffer in a couple of seasons.

Btw SKD, I'd keep him. Apart from his stamina he's quite decent, and if he's performing you may as well persist with him. Stamina can be trained fairly quickly anyway, even for a 20yo. And he's only in mediocre form as well - if he were in good form he would probably be rated better than some of your other bowlers.

Last edited:

ash chaulk

International Captain
superkingdave said:
what do people think of this guy, i promoted him from academy last month, he's played one game and bowled 10-3-20-0. Do you think he is worth persisting with? the tools all say he isn't amongst my best 5 bowlers but looking at my stats my first 4 bowlers have ave os 13.11, 18, 21.22 and 23.82 respectively whilst my 5th bowler is either 43.68 or 111, so i was thinking of giving him a go?
hey ill have him lol..... just set him to train on bowling and watch him pop

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Hey guys i read through most of this, Im just wondering which program do you find the easiest and simplist to help you with Battrick. I saw two of them posted and had a look at both but only quikcly. Which one is recommended? and also does it help alot?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
kears_falcon_9 said:
Hey guys i read through most of this, Im just wondering which program do you find the easiest and simplist to help you with Battrick. I saw two of them posted and had a look at both but only quikcly. Which one is recommended? and also does it help alot?
The excel spreadsheet (the one superkingdave posted) is probably more useful, as it's easier to edit and create your own ratings or whatever. Both programs are useful in that they convert the players' attributes into numbers, which is a lot easier to make sense of. I don't really pay much attention to the batting/bowling ratings that the programs give you though, as no one knows how important each of the attributes are, so it's a bit of a guess.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God, did I get caned or what.

Magical Ponies 224 (45.2 overs)
Kenna 62, Andrew 41, Sutton 42

AKKA 225/0 (35 overs)
McMahon 109*, Brennan 107*
Ohara 6 overs, 0/16, Heard 7 overs, 0/42

By the way, if anyone wants an easy beat, feel free to challenge me.

Last edited:

nibbs

International Captain
i'm headed for the 3rd round of the cup. i made 263 AO batting first. Daniel Fry making 97, damit. He deserved his hundred. the opposition are currently 176/7 after 43 overs. i made an awful selection blunder, meaning this feeble bowler played instead of my respectable one. so far, he hasn't disgraced himself, so its okay. holmes took 2/28 off his 10 ten overs, while henshaw took 3/29.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.