• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Um, sorry Rob, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean. You have to remember that my computer reads everything out to me, so issues of layout usually pass me by. But if I've written something wrong, then let me know what, and I'll try and set it out better for you.

Later, Trev

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Robertinho said:
He's 26, it'll pop like mad, I'm hoping. Still, he's just there to hit quick runs.
That's the difficulty with the game at these relatively early stages, there are so many players out there that if you just gave them a net or two... That's why I think I'm going to sell my YPs at the start of next season, I'm already spoilt for choice so I'm just going to get 5 players to strong+ (Packer, Dillon, Armstrong, Pace and Cahalane) and buy finished (or nearly finished) articles.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Robertinho said:
Have you been living under a rock?! The new training changes, Gaurav. Older players will pop quicker in secondaries, and stamina will pop equally across the board.
Uh.Oh, that means that my really pro new guy with crap seconds is not going to be good for quite a long time...:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: He's 17.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
trevor_vayro said:
Doug Greening (334385)

RH Batsman, RF Bowler,
respectable
batting form,
feeble
bowling form,
sublime

A
steady
player with
feeble
leadership skills and
abysmal
experience.

Table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Plays For:
Cymru Gurgitaters
Nationality:
England
Battrick Rating:
Wages:
£940 p/w
table end

Table with 4 columns and 4 rows
Stamina:
woeful
Wicket Keeping:
abysmal
Batting:
proficient
Concentration:
abysmal
Bowling:
abysmal
Consistency:
abysmal
Fielding:
Respectable
These tables, Trev. Look at them. They're shocking.. ;)

Scaly piscine

Basically these forums don't support tables or any HTML type code. So everyone mostly just cut & pastes stuff from Battrick. The only way to make things into tables is by using
Code:
 and [/c.o.d.e.] (remove dots) tags and that puts everything within the tags into a fixed width font and it doesn't suppress spaces.

Oh wait it does support some HTML font stuff, but nothing major.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Sorry Scaly and Rob, if I'm being particularly dense here, but what you're saying I have to do is write (/code) above everything I cut and paste from Battrick? Have I got it finally?:-) And if so, do I write it with or without brackets? Sorry if everything hitherto has been a dog's breakfast then, it's just that Stephen Hawkin read everything to me fine, so until Rob mentioned it I didn't have a clue that there was anything amiss.

Later, Trev

Scaly piscine

trevor_vayro said:
Sorry Scaly and Rob, if I'm being particularly dense here, but what you're saying I have to do is write (/code) above everything I cut and paste from Battrick? Have I got it finally?:-) And if so, do I write it with or without brackets? Sorry if everything hitherto has been a dog's breakfast then, it's just that Stephen Hawkin read everything to me fine, so until Rob mentioned it I didn't have a clue that there was anything amiss.

Later, Trev
Don't bother with the code tags when you're cut and pasting players etc. from Battrick, hardly anyone uses the code tags anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Basically these forums don't support tables or any HTML type code. So everyone mostly just cut & pastes stuff from Battrick. The only way to make things into tables is by using
Code:
 and [/c.o.d.e.] (remove dots) tags and that puts everything within the tags into a fixed width font and it doesn't suppress spaces.[/QUOTE]

Is it really that simple?

I wish I'd known!

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
V.Quickly before I go home, embarked on a very high risk strategey in my GFI pursuit of victory at all costs tomorrow. Hope to bowl first. Gone for Default order, opening the bowling I've got Edworthy, my second best seamer, (High Resp Bowl, Med Cons)and riskily, Mullins, (Med Bowl Prof Cons). Edworthy is allowed the luxury of normal aggression, Mullins has V.Defensive orders, in the hope of bottling an end up. B3 is Atherton-Ham, (Resp Spinner, Feeb Cons), set to V.Defensive. I didn't really want him bowling so early, with two overs falling in the first 15, but it couldn't be avoided, as his Abs Stam means he needs a blow between spells. B4, is my best bowler, Bewers set to Attacking, (Prof LM, Med Cons), who's held back from his normal opening role, to attack their comparatively weaker middle order. The thing is that they have Prof/Strong top order, and only Med middle order, so I figured that rather than match my best bowlers up against their best batsmen, I'd hope that my second string could bottle up the top order, leaving Bewers to hopefully do some damage against a top order drained of Stam, and their weaker middle order. The murcurial Burke is B5, but seeing as He's Resp Bowl set to V.Defensive, hopefully he won't be too expensive.

Batting wise I've taken the unusual step of opening with two semi-disposable batsmen. Mullins, )Newly Resp Bat, Feeb Conc) is set to Normal, to try and soak up some of their best seamer's overs, whilst keeping an end safe, and Carless, (High Comp Bat, Resp Conc) is sent up the order with V.Attacking orders to get after their spinner, who bizarrely always seems to open the bowling for them. In his last two matches he's taken 5/63 and 6/77, so I've no doubt that he'll get Carless before too long, but hopefully Carless will plunder some runs first. Gun Bat Staveley (High Prof/Med Conc) is No.3, Skipper Patel, (Resp/Feeb) No.4. Dunfield, Resp/Feeb, is V.Attacking at NO.5, to give an injection if the above hit the Stam Wall, newboy Greening is No.6, to stiffen the lower middle order, with Resp/Feeb Partridge No.7. After that it's up to Feebs Atherton-Ham and Bewers, and the Gods.

Wish me luck, I'm out of here as the Mrs is waiting for me, soz no time to spellcheck.

Later, Trev.

cricketboy29

International Regular
So tell me something, guys, does this mean that if you have worthless conc for a 17 year old, your basically screwed, as it'll take one hell of a long time to go up?

PY

International Coach
Not enough is known about the new system in my opinion, I find myself hoping that it won't be as I have a lot of younger players who are crap in terms of secondaries.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Just picked up a new bowler for the not insignificant sum of £1.43m - about 200k more than I was hoping to pay, but I'm not too bothered as: 1) I really needed a new bowler, and 2) I'll still have around 250k left after today's home match. Anyway:

Code:
 Ricky Louis (67252)
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, strong bowling form, sublime
A destructive player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For:	Asterix XI
Nationality:	Australia
Battrick Rating: 20,418
Wages:	£5,726 p/w
Stamina: 	proficient 	Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: 	woeful 	        Concentration: woeful
Bowling: 	quality 	Consistency: 	mediocre
Fielding: 	feeble
Judging by his wage he was already quality at the start of the season, and he's been getting one bowling net all season according to his manager (and his nets history), so he should be 6 or so weeks away from remarkable on one net. Any quality bowler is going to cost well over 1m, let alone a high quality so I'm reasonably happy.

Will give him 1 bowling net, 1 fielding and 1 fitness for now, he'll be a huge asset in FC matches if I get him up to superb stamina. Being a medium bowler he should be able to bowl pretty much all day anyway. Destructive temperament is generally good though I've already got another two in Gillespie and Malik. Hopefully I can get him to remarkable/competent/superb by the end of the season, and along with Badley, Malik and possibly Gillespie should form a decent bowling attack for the next couple of seasons.

Scaly piscine

Heh I added that guy to my shortcuts list to see how many they'd go for, well worth what you paid in my opinion - seems like rounded superb players or better all seem to go for 1 million odd almost regardless of how much higher than superb they are because of the limited funds people have.

ash chaulk

International Captain
0.1 W Fleming to Ingleby
The umpire raises his finger for LBW. Ingleby is staring at the edge of his bat, he's obviously not pleased at that decision!

you bewty that batsmen pretty good aswell

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, until recently I've always thought having a balanced team was alot better than having a few guns. But really, wouldn't having say, 3 strongs be alot better than having 6 respectables?

And with bowling - say you've got 5 respectables. They won't contain a Strong/Superb batsman, whereas having 1 Strong, 1 Prof, and 3 Comps have a chance with the Strong.

nibbs

International Captain
Robertinho said:
And with bowling - say you've got 5 respectables. They won't contain a Strong/Superb batsman, whereas having 1 Strong, 1 Prof, and 3 Comps have a chance with the Strong.
i'm pretty sure that is the case rob. i've wasted a lot of precious nets on some players when they would have been better served all going onto other players with a lot more potential

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Need 160 to win in my League game, I'm running a test to see whether my "Defensive" batsman will still score quickly if set on Very Defensive.

Currently 0/72 off 10.

Alright, it's the end of the 7th over. We are 0/34, and Wolfenden (very defensive) is 9* (27), and I'm using all sorts of expletives to describe my decision to put him on V Defensive. Next over is alright, we score 11 runs, Wolfenden gets 4 of them and moves to 13* (31). Next over we hit 14 runs, Wolfenden hitting 13 of them, including 2 fours, moves him to 26* (36). Looking better. 0/59 from 9.

9.3 6 Hartburn to Wolfenden
Lovely shot! Reminds me of when I was younger, I could do that with ease! Six runs!

We hit 13 runs off the over - Wolfenden hitting 1 six and 1 four - and 37* (40). Solid.

Last edited:

andyc

Holy crap!

First over of my league match, I'm batting.

Code:
0.4 	W	Gibb to Griffin
 	 	Griffin has struck that a long way in the air. Stanley could sign an autograph while he waits for this one to come down. Out!
0.3 	.	Gibb to Griffin
 	 	Short of a length ball. Griffin goes back and tries to steer it to third man, but good fielding at gully cuts it off. No run.
0.2 	W	Gibb to Nomvete
 	 	Once he's made his way back to the pavilion maybe Nomvete's team mates can remind him that it is best to use your bat against balls homing in on middle stump rather than padding up, with the bat above your head. Not his finest moment...
0.1 	.	Gibb to Nomvete
 	 	That's right in the block-hole.
View more commentary
Griffin's first failure :(

Luckily for me, Sutton hit his second career century and we got to 6/271, but I'm very disappointed with that batting effort. Parr impressed at the end with 43* from 34, and Drench hit another slow 50 in the last ten, ending on 57* off 73. Looks like it was a good choice playing Drench as a bowler and extending my batting line-up.

Currently for me:
End of Over 20: 108-2, runrate=5.40, reqrunrate=5.47 (271-6)
Drench 5-0-32-0
Coleman* 22 (44 balls)
Thabang 58 (46 balls)
Last Wicket: Wall c. Jones b. Dunne 15 (FOW: 28/2)

Dunne with two, Canning went wicketless in his first spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.