• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricketboy29 said:
Interesting stats, there scaly, sorts of means that good allrounders are exeedingly difficult to get, unless you have some luck, or a lot of money
I've currently got 2, but one is up for sale if anyone wants him.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cricketboy29 said:
btw, what do sports psychologists do?, do you need them to pop conc and cons?
Pretty much, it's a bit of a mystery how many to have tho, I have 6 personally, but I don't notice much difference to when I had 3.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
trevor_vayro said:
I hate to be the one to say it Nibs, and bear in mind that I'm in no position to gloat, and that I might be totally wrong, but I reckon you've been tucked up like a kipper if you paid £790K for that Strong batsman. I figured that the going rate for a Strong with nothing much else was anything from £300K to £500K, although I guess your guy at 18yo does have the potential to reach Qual or Rem batting.
I don't think it was that bad a purchase, 18yo strongs generally sell for 600k+ with or without secondaries, and it looks as though nibbs' guy will pop to superb soon. The going rate for an 18yo superb is well in excess of 1 million.

My star batsman who will pop to wonderful towards the end of the season started out as a 19yo strong, and has never had more than two batting nets at a time (only one net for most of the time), so it's definitely possible for nibbs to get him to a high level.

nibbs

International Captain
trevor_vayro said:
I hate to be the one to say it Nibs, and bear in mind that I'm in no position to gloat, and that I might be totally wrong, but I reckon you've been tucked up like a kipper if you paid £790K for that Strong batsman. I figured that the going rate for a Strong with nothing much else was anything from £300K to £500K, although I guess your guy at 18yo does have the potential to reach Qual or Rem batting.
hmmm, what Adam said, but also, all Dwayne Waddell needs is for his stamina levels to be improved to mediroce-competent and he should then become a very dominant batsmen, similiar to the Jason Duggan, Seamus Hamshaw mold. That added to the fact his secondaries are pretty good (proficient concentration, mediorce consistency), he has a huge headstart on Doug Greening, who by the looks of things will take a while to catch up with Dwayne's secondaries. Hopefully by the time next season roles around Dwayne will be up to mediorce stamina, which should put him in good stead when it comes to making decent scores. Although £790,000 was a high price to pay it'll be worth it in the long run. I've got a 25,000 seat stadium, which although it hasn't filled up just yet, its come dam close on several occasions. So I've got the right structure in place to bring in money at a very steady rate. making back the money won't be too hard.

I suspect that next season 18 year olds with similiar skills are going to be even harder to come by, due mostly to the gayness of the new youth academy set up. The same could probably be said with 17 year olds. this meaning prices for such players are going to continue to climb. so unless people get lucky with their youth pulls, finding players with a lot of potential may just become a rather interesting problem, unless they have the money of coarse.

As for Dwayne, I'm pretty confident that he'll be superb next season, which will mean I'll have 3 superb bats, maybe 4 by the time next season commences. Bowling wise I'm expecting to have 1 surperb plus, 2 strongs to spearhead my attack. Still lack a spinner but :unsure:

With Greening's traing rescheme, you should look to give him fielding training, along with batting. Even if it might not make his cons pop quickly they'll still pop quicker than they perhaps otherwise would have, and that way he'll become a better player quicker. Also a stamina net would be deemed important, if you ask me, and train that till it reaches competent.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What do you guys think of my buy on the previous page, and what kind of training should i be giving him. Bearing in mind the affect on individual fitness. His also a destructive and strong leadership

Ill just post him again:

Charlie Allen (466326)
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, moderate
A destructive player with strong leadership skills and worthless experience.

Plays For: Got Spin
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 8,852
Wages: £1,989 p/w

Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: proficient Concentration: feeble
Bowling: respectable Consistency: worthless
Fielding: abysmal

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GoT_SpIn said:
What do you guys think of my buy on the previous page, and what kind of training should i be giving him. Bearing in mind the affect on individual fitness. His also a destructive and strong leadership

Ill just post him again:

Charlie Allen (466326)
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, moderate
A destructive player with strong leadership skills and worthless experience.

Plays For: Got Spin
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 8,852
Wages: £1,989 p/w

Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: proficient Concentration: feeble
Bowling: respectable Consistency: worthless
Fielding: abysmal
Depends really, do you want him as a batsman-bowler or batsman-keeper?

Regardless I think you should avoid playing him in your team when possible (they're not going to be a lot of use anyway) and give him two fitness nets - you'll heavily training him for quite a while so you want his stamina up so his fitness level doesn't just drop week after week.

I'll assume from now on you want him as a batting and bowling all-rounder. Ideally I'd give them 1 bowling, 1 batting, 1 fielding and 2 stamina. Personally I don't like give players duplicate primary nets, but that's up to you. You can cut the second stamina net out towards the end of this season - should be mediocre stamina by then or thereabouts, as the second stamina net is partially wasted anyway. It's also a drain on their personal fitness level which will become hugely important next season (assuming FC comes in) and of course it frees up another net.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Just bought another bat - for 41k

Plays For: Robertinho Select XI
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 6,093
Wages: £760 p/w
Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: respectable Concentration: abysmal
Bowling: feeble Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: respectable

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Okay, I stand corrected with regards to Dwayne Waddell, it's just that talk of those sorts of prices makes my eyes water. Still, I stand by what I said, in so far as that if Dwayne Waddell is worth nearly £800K, then Greening was a bargain at a smidgen over a quarter of a Mill, even though his secondaries are vastly inferior. Good luck with him anyway - Am I right in thinking that two primary nets more or less equates to two pops a season, give or take a few weeks? If so, then say for argument's sake he reaches Sup before the end of this season, then he could be half way up Rem by the end of next? And starting from Prof Conc, even if secondaries only pop every five or six weeks now, as opposed to every two or three weeks under the old system, you could conceivably be looking at a player not long past his 20th Birthday, with Wond Bat, Strong Stam and Except Conc. Blimey Charlie! When you put it like that I can kind'a see where you're coming from!

I guess the best case scenario for Greening by the time he hits 20yo is Strong Stam, Lowish Rem Bat and Prof/Strong Conc. Admittedly a fair way behind Waddell, but still a snip for a quarter of a Mill I reckon!

ATM I've got him on two batting nets, one fielding and one fitness, is this enough to address his secondary issues? Also, how good does a player already need to be to justify training them in a primary beyond their teens? E.G., I guess Greening, who'll probably be High Qual/Low Rem, and Staveley, who'll be Mid Strong, will both be worth a net or two when they hit 20, but would, for example, Patel? At High Resp/Low Prof? or even Mullins at Low Resp?

Got Spin, I reckon you've landed the best deal of all of us in Charlie Allen! Though his wages don't make much sense to me, as the least he should be on is Comp£400 +Resp£650 +Prof£1100 =£2150. I guess he must have undergone some training since he was promoted, but without knowing what in and how much, I suppose you have to presume that he's reasonably close to the bottom of the level in all three disciplines. Given the uncertainty over secondary training, with Worth Cons I wouldn't bother touching his bowling for the time-being - If you had room, I'd stick him on 2 Bat, 2 WK, and 2 Fitness. This is obviously going to take up a massive chunk of your nets, and with each net having an impact on fitness from now on, it's going to make him pretty useless to your first CI in the short term, but by the time he's 20 you could be looking at an Except Bat with Qual Stam and Wond Conc, who also happens to be a Sup or Qual Keeper! - Though I shudder to think what the wages for such a beast would be, especially if secondaries start counting towards the wages next season! The other thing to bear in mind is that his WK training is also going to have a beneficial effect, however large or small, on his Cons - So even if you didn't touch his bowling primary, you would still have the option of using him as a perfectly passable 4th or 5th bowler!

Finally, I've just got my full membership through, and I'm wondering where on Battrick I need to go to find the additional Stats on partnerships/transfers etc.

Later, Trev

cricketboy29

International Regular
Hey trev, in the case of your two nets thing, I have had one of my guys on two batting nets for the majority of this season and he's popped twice. So id say more like three pops each season.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
trevor_vayro said:
Though his wages don't make much sense to me, as the least he should be on is Comp£400 +Resp£650 +Prof£1100 =£2150.
You're forgetting the base wage of 250. Comp adds about 150, Resp 400, etc

Edit - Trev, I've gotta say this. Please do something about your tables. I want to read them, BUT I CAN'T!!! :(

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
cricketboy29 said:
Rob, man, the concentration is looking pretty bad....for 41K. You think you can get the mental attributes up?
He's 26, it'll pop like mad, I'm hoping. Still, he's just there to hit quick runs.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Have you been living under a rock?! The new training changes, Gaurav. Older players will pop quicker in secondaries, and stamina will pop equally across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.