• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibbs

International Captain
Adamc said:
Agree with Dave, 1800 is pretty much the minimum wage for a strong, with superb being around 3200, so he'd be low strong unless he's received training (quite possible that he's received training given that he's only 18). Might be worth mailing the manager to ask if he's been trained this season.
\

he's been getting 1 batting net I think. I'd imagine since the start of the season. He was definitely trained in the English training yesterday as it said so his nets sessions section, and was lucky enough to be trained for the second time this week in NZ, this morning. I'm going to assume he's had 1 net every week this season which would hopefully make him about half way to surperb batting.

12th biggest purchase made in NZ, hopefully one I won't regret this time next season. Having said that players like this are easily sold on

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
nibbs said:
\

he's been getting 1 batting net I think. I'd imagine since the start of the season. He was definitely trained in the English training yesterday as it said so his nets sessions section, and was lucky enough to be trained for the second time this week in NZ, this morning. I'm going to assume he's had 1 net every week this season which would hopefully make him about half way to surperb batting.

12th biggest purchase made in NZ, hopefully one I won't regret this time next season. Having said that players like this are easily sold on
Haha are you serious? Double training, lucky. Well he should pop in the next few weeks then.

I should be making a big purchase pretty soon, found a destructive quality RM bowler with proficient stamina on the market, exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully he doesn't go for too much, need to keep some money to get another batsman.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ah damnit, Strong batsmen with competant secondries was going for only 600k with the current bidder offline and no one bidding. Then the owner decides he doesn't want to sell him and keeps bidding over me :(

Oh well, out of my next 4 league games i have 3 at home. So i should have around 800k plus interest each week to spend on a batsmen

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure what this training bug is, but it's not hitting Verde, so I won't complain.

He's on 4 nets a week, playing both games and is still Energetic!

PY

International Coach
Same here, I have people on 3 nets each and they are 'energetic' even with worthless stamina. :D

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I just bought a comp/feeble 17yo bat for 38k.
Now that means my batting lineup will look like -
Comp, Resp, Prof, Resp, Comp, Resp, Comp.

Solid, solid. Happy with that. Still, I am looking at replacing all of those 3 comps with at least respectables, hopefully another proficient.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Hey guys, what's a good way of boosting your income? I changed my academy to 20,000 a week but this puts me in the negative a little. I have about 250,000 in the bank. The reason for upgrading the academy was that I really really need a new opening bowler, 'cos my current ones get smacked around like crazy.

Also, what should you put ITS into when making a bowler?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Battrick Rating: 8,852
Wages: £1,989 p/w

Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: proficient Concentration: feeble
Bowling: respectable Consistency: worthless
Fielding: abysmal

Just bought this guy for a bit over 650k. Fairly happy but means Morgans training is on hold atleast until saunders pops

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BlackCap_Fan said:
Hey guys, what's a good way of boosting your income? I changed my academy to 20,000 a week but this puts me in the negative a little. I have about 250,000 in the bank. The reason for upgrading the academy was that I really really need a new opening bowler, 'cos my current ones get smacked around like crazy.

Also, what should you put ITS into when making a bowler?
You're normally going to lose money one week, then gain money the next, so no need to worry about it. In terms of ITS, I always just give 12 to bat, 12 to bowl, and the rest between stamina and secondaries, simply because, although you want a bowler, the player you pull might be a competent bat, worthless bowl. So if you focus on his bowling and consistency, he's only going to be mediocre bowl with decent consistency, while his competent bat could have been somewhere around proficient if you'd put ITS into that.

cricketboy29

International Regular
But andy, suppose you have 30 ITS you can use right, and you want a bowler, 12 on bowling, 12 on consistency and 6 on stamina. If your lucky, you can end up with a very nice bowling prospect indeed. Or vice versa for batting.

On other matters,
John Callery (434442)
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, proficient batting form, proficient bowling form, sublime
A destructive player with superb leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Enfield Farmers
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 6,883
Wages: £250 p/w
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: respectable
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: respectable
Fielding: mediocre

Do you think this guy is worth training?

andyc

Yeah, but you're gonna be kicking yourself if you pull someone with mediocre batting, which meant he could've been like respectable or proficient with ITS. For my 35, I do 12 batting, 12 bowling, 8 stamina, 2 conc/cons, 1 cons/conc, although I have done 6 stamina so as to allow more for secondaries.

As for Callery, I'd say definetely, definetely not.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Howard Moore back up for sale. Looks like bicmaia is worried about the wages - he's lowered the asking price to £1.9m.. and someone has bitten. Poor guy. He'll have MONSTER wages

Plays For: bicmaia
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 114,243
Wages: £36,249 p/w
Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: masterful
Batting: strong Concentration: sensational
Bowling: feeble Consistency: proficient
Fielding: mediocre

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Alright Guys, back after a few days doing family/wedding stuff - Well at least I got something out of it, as I managed to persuade 'Er In Doors' to pay for a year's full membership for me off her Pay Pal account!

I hate to be the one to say it Nibs, and bear in mind that I'm in no position to gloat, and that I might be totally wrong, but I reckon you've been tucked up like a kipper if you paid £790K for that Strong batsman. I figured that the going rate for a Strong with nothing much else was anything from £300K to £500K, although I guess your guy at 18yo does have the potential to reach Qual or Rem batting.

But Even so, I do feel a bit better now, after nearly bankrupting myself on Friday, paying £265K to land this guy:

Doug Greening (334385)

RH Batsman, RF Bowler,
respectable
batting form,
feeble
bowling form,
sublime

A
steady
player with
feeble
leadership skills and
abysmal
experience.

Table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Plays For:
Cymru Gurgitaters
Nationality:
England
Battrick Rating:
Wages:
£940 p/w
table end

Table with 4 columns and 4 rows
Stamina:
woeful
Wicket Keeping:
abysmal
Batting:
proficient
Concentration:
abysmal
Bowling:
abysmal
Consistency:
abysmal
Fielding:
Respectable

According to his previous manager, (providing he's telling the truth of course), he's been having two batting nets all season, and popped to Prof about five weeks ago. So I reckon he must be about half way up Prof, putting him anything between four and eight weeks behind Nibs' guy - Possibly a bit more, but not far enough behind to justify half a mill difference in their market value?!?

Like Nibs' guy, Greening needs urgent attention paying to his secondaries, and it was a serious gamble sinking this amount of money into a youngster with Abs Conc, when so little is known about the new training regime for young'uns' secondaries. But in my defence, I reckon, in my current circumstances, it's the only way I'm ever going to be able to afford a Qual batsman one day. Also his Resp fielding is a major boost to my bunch of pie-stuffers.

But as I say, I'm in no position to chuck financial rocks, from my current dwelling, in the glass-house of destitution out the back of the Battrick poorhouse. Oh yes, Battrick has just become even more realistic, as Greening's purchase means that for the first time my BT bank balance joins my RL bank Balance in being printed in nasty red ink. Though thankfully NatWest do me a better deal on my overdraft than the BT bankers - In Saturday's financial update I got stung £750, at 3.75%, for being £20K overdrawn for one day! - And that's with three Financial Advisers, who I thought were supposed to get me a better deal!

Haldane is at the root of all my financial doodoos, as I blew £265K on Greening, confident that I'd be able to offset the majority of that by selling Haldane once he popped to Resp Bat on Monday. But oh No! Haldane's gotten to quite like life in Wales, and once again failed to step up, after a world record fifteen weeks of nets for an 18yo! So now, with no home game this week, I'm forced into having to pawn my stock of Comps for relative peanuts, just to ensure that I don't slide into a dangerously irreversible circle of debt and interest. That's particularly annoying as, whilst they don't make it into my starting XI, I'd hoped that they may be useful to plug fitness gaps in FC, and if I'd have had time to sell them at my leisure I could have got much more for them.

But the ever-reliable Mullins did however pop to Resp bat, which will be a help as he moves to the top of the order. I've now pulled all three of his Bat, Bowl and Fielding nets, in order to make way for Greening, who I've set on a regime of two Bat, one fitness and one fielding. I've also doubled the hapless Haldane's nets, in the forlorn hope that he must, one day, pop to Resp and give me a much-overdue payday. When I am done with him I'm torn between giving the two spare nets to:
A. Patel, 19yo, Resp Bat, Abs Stam, Feeb Conc, £888 P/W
B. Mullins, 19yo, Resp+0Wks Bat, Med+6Wks RFM Bowl, Feeb Stam, Feeb Conc, Prof Cons.
C. Atherton-Ham, 19yo, Feeb Bat, Resp LHS Bowl, Abs Stam, Woe Conc, Feeb Cons, £762 P/W
D. Two fitness nets set aside as a dedicated Fat Camp to beat some of my lardies into some semblance of shape before the start of FC.

PRESS YOUR BUTTONS…NOW!

Oh, and at risk of being told off by Mark, one final gripe before I go. I know that Battrick is free, and that the people who run it are all-round good eggs, who help blind old ladies across the road, and never nick their kid's chocolate when their Mrs isn't looking - Like…Um…I've heard some fathers do! - But all this not withstanding, the GFI/TIE thing sucks! I've TIEd three games this season, knowing that there'll come a time when I'm going to have to give it some pasty to stay out of relegation trouble in my league - And each time I've TIEd, my fitness has gone up one level. But the first…The very frigging first time I GFI, my fitness comes crashing down from Fresh to Low - How's that fair? I wouldn't mind so much, except the ladies' fishy parts gave me exactly the same ratings as I'd had the week before on TIE anyway !And bearing in mind that I need to GFI my next two games as well, if they carry on like this they'll need to introduce a new level of Comatosed into the scale!

But seriously, does there ever actually come a point when you're so low on fitness that you do worse by GFIing than you would from PAN? The drop in fitness from Friday to Sunday already translated into an all-round reduction of a level or so in my match ratings, so I think I'm in real trouble. I have my final group match in the friendly Cup I play in on Sunday, and if I fail to make the knock-out stages I'm pulling out of the Plate competition to try and conserve at least a fart-full of fitness.

Oh, but Friday's game was awesome, even though I lost. Lancashire CCC 346/2, car-crash bowling figures, centuries for both their openers - Cymru Gurgitaters 323/5, Mullins 68(91), Dunfield 40 (41), Patel 60 (57), Carless 55 (52), Haldane 68*, (55). Sounds impressive but in truth I was never really up with the rate, still, it was nice making a mess of their Gun bowlers' stats:-) But need to win at least one of the next two against the sides immediately above me in 3rd and 4th, as there's a bit of a gap beginning to open up between me and safety.

Later, Trev.

Scaly piscine

I did say GFI/PAN/TIE had made no difference to the match ratings I got...

Also I don't think nibbs' purchase was too bad, there's a huge difference between strong-proficient and high proficent-abysmal - the extra concentration is like having 2 extra levels of batting (my competent-exceptional bat has been an absolute gun - performs favourably compared to proficient-strong).

cricketboy29

International Regular
andyc said:
Yeah, but you're gonna be kicking yourself if you pull someone with mediocre batting, which meant he could've been like respectable or proficient with ITS. For my 35, I do 12 batting, 12 bowling, 8 stamina, 2 conc/cons, 1 cons/conc, although I have done 6 stamina so as to allow more for secondaries.

As for Callery, I'd say definetely, definetely not.
I would have done this before the training update,but now especially with not much known about training times for young guys, i would err on the side of caution and put conc/cons up and train the primaries myself. Actually, thats why I had my eye on callery...

Scaly piscine

cricketboy29 said:
So, in your opinion scaly, would say a comp/feeble is better than a prof-abysmal?
No way, my own guide is 3 levels of concentration is worth 1 level of batting. But it's just guesswork really and I doubt it's that straight-forward to compare.

I'm basically guessing from the match ratings, until recently my top order (top 3) averaged one level of batting higher than the middle order (4-7) but top order got proficient rating and middle order mediocre rating. But this changed recently.

Scaly piscine

Actually to be more precise these are very rough averages for my game against Bushpigs:

Top order batting: 7.6, concentration: 10.7 --- proficient rating

Middle order batting: 6.9, concentration: 3.6 --- mediocre rating

Concentrations are in particular just rough estimates, haven't a clue how high a sublevel the middle order bats are because I've not trained two of them. I've no idea whether stamina contributes towards match ratings - wouldn't have thought so but maybe someone else knows. Concentration definitely contributes.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Interesting stats, there scaly, sorts of means that good allrounders are exeedingly difficult to get, unless you have some luck, or a lot of money

Status
Not open for further replies.