• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guys, what would be a decent asking price for a player like this:

Dean Branch - 19 yo, BT Rating=1,630
LH Batsman, LFM Bowler, respectable form, Healthy
A steady player with mediocre leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: woeful
Bowling: worthless Consistency: feeble
Fielding: mediocre

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
Guys, what would be a decent asking price for a player like this:
£0, unfortunately. You'll be lucky if you can sell him at all, though someone might want him since he's reasonably young. The minimum bid is £1,000, so you should just put him on the market and hope someone takes him. If he fails to sell I'd fire him.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
My team for the Cup Game.

S Field(wk)
M Barnard
G Delaney
H Gowshall
M Aldred
K Sugden(1)
J Sansome*
A Beswerthick(4)
J Binns(5)
K Norris(2)
R Hole(3)

Gowshall and Aldred main batting threat, and Sugden is the spearhead of the bowling.

andyc

Adamc said:
£0, unfortunately. You'll be lucky if you can sell him at all, though someone might want him since he's reasonably young. The minimum bid is £1,000, so you should just put him on the market and hope someone takes him. If he fails to sell I'd fire him.
Ah okay. 1000 is more than I expected!

Scaly piscine

andyc said:
Ah okay. 1000 is more than I expected!
I haven't been playing any longer than you but I'd be amazed if you got owt for them, I've got someone slightly better than that on the transfer market and haven't had a bid yet. Only got £2000 for a 26 yo who was a mediocre keeper, mediocre fielder, feeble stamina, woeful consistency with everything else abysmal. Am I the only person who converts all the mediocre etc. stuff into numbers and lists my squad in a document? Like for my transfer list/fired players I'd have

Ba/Cc Bo/Cs F S W

2-6 - 4 6 5 James Holmes (wk) 26yo BT=5705 steady player Righty, L 2, exp 2 ***£2000
2-2 2-3 5 4 3 Niall Smith 26yo BT=2007 destructive player Righty, L 8, exp 4 ***fired
2-5 3-4 3 2 - Glen Loyal 19yo BT=1913 cautious player Righty LM, L 1, exp 1
2-3 5-2 3 2 - Tony Cawson 24yo BT=1352 defensive player Lefty LH spin, L 4, exp 1

I find it much easier to see the strengths, weaknesses and pick a team this way.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
I haven't been playing any longer than you but I'd be amazed if you got owt for them, I've got someone slightly better than that on the transfer market and haven't had a bid yet. Only got £2000 for a 26 yo who was a mediocre keeper, mediocre fielder, feeble stamina, woeful consistency with everything else abysmal. Am I the only person who converts all the mediocre etc. stuff into numbers and lists my squad in a document? Like for my transfer list/fired players I'd have

Ba/Cc Bo/Cs F S W

2-6 - 4 6 5 James Holmes (wk) 26yo BT=5705 steady player Righty, L 2, exp 2 ***£2000
2-2 2-3 5 4 3 Niall Smith 26yo BT=2007 destructive player Righty, L 8, exp 4 ***fired
2-5 3-4 3 2 - Glen Loyal 19yo BT=1913 cautious player Righty LM, L 1, exp 1
2-3 5-2 3 2 - Tony Cawson 24yo BT=1352 defensive player Lefty LH spin, L 4, exp 1

I find it much easier to see the strengths, weaknesses and pick a team this way.
I use this thing (have to download it), you just have to copy/paste from the 'squad' page and it displays the ratings as numbers similar to what you are probably doing. I just used a simple spreadsheet before that came out though.

Scaly piscine

I figured there'd be something, it's very difficult to look through the squad on the squad page and pick the best 11 out of it.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i use the battrick tool, made me think a lot more about consistency and concentration as well as the batting and bowling ratings

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
Are the weightings correct on the tool?
Not necessarily, no one really knows yet. Personally I think the BT tools weights form far too heavily, as I've had batsman consistently scoring centuries while in abysmal form (and conversely others perform rubbish while in superb form). Consistency and concentration seem to be quite important, but again I can't vouch for the accuracy of the tool with regard to weightings.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
not sure, the one i have used (not the one Adam posted) they have had several versions where people have provided feedback on the weightings and having used it, and it has altered my team quite substantially, i have been beating teams who have players with on first glance better stats.

Scaly piscine

Without having played a game yet I'd have thought the concentration and consistency are over-rated (it has them as equal importance with batting and bowling respectively on the tool shown earlier) going by what it says on the help pages. Anyways if I build a good enough team I won't have to worry about the finer details...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
Yeah, I use that one sometimes as well (though I was using an older version - thanks for the update). The weightings still seem a little wrong to me - according to that one my best batsman is also my second-best bowler. I've never used him because his bowling skill is 'feeble', so I don't know how he could possibly be a good bowler, but I might let him roll his arm over in a friendly or something. ;)

Scaly piscine

Tom Halsey said:
How do you tell if a team is a bot?
All the players in their squad are set to abysmal form I think someone said. The Tests and ODIs are something they haven't gotten around to yet.

andyc

It says the games are underway now, how long does it normally take for the resuts to appear?

ash chaulk

International Captain
Adamc said:
I use this thing (have to download it), you just have to copy/paste from the 'squad' page and it displays the ratings as numbers similar to what you are probably doing. I just used a simple spreadsheet before that came out though.
how do you paste it into the imput page it wont let me

Status
Not open for further replies.