• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2017/18 was much more bowler dominated.
The overall aggregate average in 2013/14 was 28.85. In 2017/18 it was 36.89. One of those is substantially more than the other. Though the first two tests in 17/18 were slow the back end saw some mountainous scores. I think Anderson's performances stood out only because he wasn't expressly awful unlike every other England bowler.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Well, that same WI beat Eng earlier in the year, not to mention India's win down under, soooo on recent form the more competitive series was or ought to have been Ind-WI.
Thing is, you could go even further back and say England beat roughly the same Indian side 4-1 last summer. I think even with 4 wins you end up having less points than a team that wins a series 2-0 which is even more ludicrous

Spark

Global Moderator
Thing is, you could go even further back and say England beat roughly the same Indian side 4-1 last summer. I think even with 4 wins you end up having less points than a team that wins a series 2-0 which is even more ludicrous
You quite literally have to win 5-0 to get the same number of points as 2-0. It's farcical.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I bet there aren't many 5 Test series between now and the Test Final. The 8 Tests England have this winter in three different countries is too many on top of all the other short stuff. You could get a South Africa v India Final at Lords and it'll be half empty. I dread to think what they've got in place to decide a drawn final. The schedulers should be removed from society.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would have thought India in the final would see the place filled tbf.

Have they announced what the criteria is in the event of a draw? As anything predetermined could kill the game off as a spectacle before it begins

hazsa19

International Regular
Would have thought India in the final would see the place filled tbf.

Have they announced what the criteria is in the event of a draw? As anything predetermined could kill the game off as a spectacle before it begins
Surely it’ll be the provision for a 6th day, should it be required.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The Ashes is an outlier. How many 5 test series are there? England and Aus get this special little thing to play each other in every 4 or so years, the cricket world can't peel itself away from it (and rightly so), and it's treated as the pinnacle of the cricketing calendar, even more so than the world cup to some extent. It's the price to pay for getting extra revenue, prestige and focus. I'd love for NZ to play Aus, Eng, India or SA in a 5 match series. I'm sure most sides would. The rest of the world get their 2/3 match series and 6-8 tests a year while England get a buttload. You reap what you sow and this is it for England and Aus. On top of that, it's not like the ICC scheduled all the matches - England have opted the NZ series to be not included for example. Each board gets to pick and choose, and everyone will get their chance for 2-0 120 point easy pickings.

Once everyone gets back to playing 2/3 Test series it won't be an issue. Give it ****ing time ffs.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think a 2-2 result is satisfying enough for an Australian supporter. Given how weak our batting is its an achievement for the team to get a drawn series where better batting sides have failed. After retaining the Ashes at OT I was looking forward to the Oval test until a series of poor selection choices and ultimately the decision to bowl first took away all the enthusiasm I had for the match. From then it was just witnessing the inevitable result from such cumulative bungles.

England's side is starting to resemble a more traditional test team rather than a few batsmen and a bunch of allrounders. Denly's success at the top, the application shown from Burns, a good spinner in Leach and the firing of Roy and Moeen helping the transition. If Anderson continues to play you'd think there wouldn't be much need for guys like Curran or Woakes, except for back up or injuries, as Archer, Anderson, Broad, Stokes and Leach look an all weather attack. Perhaps England will look to new players like Sibley or Pope to replace Buttler or Bairstow.

Langer has received a lot of criticism. Whatever part he played in selections and bowling first at the Oval being among them. But he did back Labuschagne which is beginning to look like a win for him. He's also had some terrible and limited options in batting to deal with. Warner's loss of form adding to his many problems. Matthew Wade left it to the last innings to finally justify his spot. Two centuries in England is really an exceptional performance. Concerns remain over his consistency and ability to convert centuries into daddy hundreds though. However one poster here said Wade's style is not suited England. It was a fair comment. Cricinfo reported the cover drive as Wade's most productive shot. Which hopefully showed an ability by Wade to adjust to conditions. The pitches where he scored his hundreds weren't easy to bat on. Plus Archer gave him 8 overs of fury to deal with and he came through. I also liked the way he advanced to and countered Leach when the rough presented him problems.

Australia just might have a middle order happening if Labuschagne continues to improve and Wade and Head become more consistent - which they might do at home at least. The bowling is fine and so is the keeper. There are some young middle order batsmen around in Patterson, Pucovski and Carey. All the openers have played themselves out of the side except for Burns. Will just have to see how they begin the home season. I'd include Maddinson as a candidate with Warner, Khawaja, Burns, Renshaw, Bancroft and Harris.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
I just want to point out that Australia had no chance of winning this game once they broke the CW rule of only one Victorian allowed.

End result, both Victorians selected played crap.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm a Victorian and even I accept the truth of this rule. It's just the way things are. Picking two Victorians is like bowling first on a pitch. You think about having a bowl, but in the end, you bat first.

Ulzan69

Banned
World test championship table

ICC World Test Championship Table - 2019-21

ICC World Test Championship
M W L T D N/R PT
2 2 0 0 0 0 120
2 1 1 0 0 0 60
2 1 1 0 0 0 60
5 2 2 0 1 0 56
5 2 2 0 1 0 56
2 0 2 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 - 0 0 0
0 0 0 - 0 0 0
0 0 0 - 0 0 0
TEAM
1 INDIA
2 NZ
3 SL
4 AUS
5 ENG
6 WI
7 SA
8 BDESH
9 PAK

Standings are updated with the completion of each game.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
You couldn't format that?

England does not have the Ashes. Celebrating a home tie against a team with 1 batsman, for a championship after the first round, seems like you are searching for cheer that is not there.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You couldn't format that?

England does not have the Ashes. Celebrating a home tie against a team with 1 batsman, for a championship after the first round, seems like you are searching for cheer that is not there.
You think that bloke is an Eng fan?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yeah - that is dumb. There was an article about it on cricinfo that called it out for being dumb with a proposed simple solution. ICC will be headstrong in their dumb until England or Australia miss out on the final to New Zealand or Sri Lanka. I'm surprised they didn't think this through, and if it turns out they did, then I'm surprised they decided to go with it.

As it is, teams playing in 2 match series have a lot of points resting on the rain staying the **** away.