• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

a massive zebra

International Captain
He's just a fairly average medium pacer. From the outset people here were saying you don't need both him and Marsh. Pattinson or Starc surely far better bets.
He has bowled like a very average medium pacer in this match, but you don't get over 200 Test wickets @ 30 by serving up pies.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He has bowled like a very average medium pacer in this match, but you don't get over 200 Test wickets @ 30 by serving up pies.
That's what he is at this point in his career. Early to mid 2010s Siddle was pretty gun. Sharp and got good movement. Ran in all day too..

vcs

England would probably want to bat a session into day 4. Pitch still looks very good.

a massive zebra

International Captain
What an over from Siddle. Pretty good knock from Denly. England might have an opening duo that's test standard after all. Hope that's the way it goes.
I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent innings; but Denly was dropped on 0 and should have been out to a plumb LBW that was not given, and yet still failed to convert to a ton on the best batting day of the Test. He has a glaring weakness against good length balls pitching on or around off stump and moving away.

Would love to be proven wrong though as everyone loves a good tryer who obviously gives his all.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Majestic knock from Denly. Everyone here including me probably had him dropped after this test. Well he showed us lol. Great timely knock by him..fair play. Shame he didn't get the ton.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent innings; but Denly was dropped on 0 and should have been out to a plumb LBW that was not given and yet still failed to convert to a ton on the best batting day of the Test. He has a glaring weakness against good length balls pitching on or around off stump and moving away.

Would love to be proven wrong though as everyone loves a good trier who obviously gives his all.
I mean he's no long term solution. But in the absence of anyone else it might be worth sticking with him for the short term so we can actually have a settled top 3

Jack1

International Debutant
I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent innings; but Denly was dropped on 0 and should have been out to a plumb LBW that was not given and yet still failed to convert to a ton on the best batting day of the Test. He has a glaring weakness against good length balls pitching on or around off stump and moving away.

Would love to be proven wrong though as everyone loves a good trier who obviously gives his all.
Part of being good at international cricket is cashing in when you get lucky. Root got dropped three times first innings and made less runs. Smith got dropped. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Jack1

International Debutant
I mean he's no long term solution. But in the absence of anyone else it might be worth sticking with him for the short term so we can actually have a settled top 3

Think so. At least Burns and Denly have shown they can dig in at times at test level. They aren't walking wicket like Roy. Aussies have bowled great in the series too. No cheap runs.

Spark

Global Moderator
The main problem I had with Denly before was that even when he made that fighting - and very important - 50 at Headingley, he would have a big flash outside off stump every few overs and it really was just sheer luck which prevented him nicking off. Long term, you just can't keep getting away with that. Batted well today though.

trundler

I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent innings; but Denly was dropped on 0 and should have been out to a plumb LBW that was not given, and yet still failed to convert to a ton on the best batting day of the Test. He has a glaring weakness against good length balls pitching on or around off stump and moving away.

Yeah, he gave away lots of chances and his weaknesses are pretty glaring. Yet I'm still hopeful as the customary English top order collapse is so predictable now. Burns came good after a bad start and his ton was remarkably lucky.

vcs

Hope Buttler can make a few runs here as well. Both these two looking fluent right now.

trundler

Australia aren't winning this at all. The next 6 wickets would have to fall for 50 odd for them to have a slight chance. And then am ATG innings of 150 odd in the 4th innings from Smith.