• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I guess the batting bar has moved if you think Root and Bairstow have done pretty well with the bat.

Root is averaging 30 and has 3 ducks, while Bairstow is averaging only 25 with 1 fifty (52).
Yep, although considering statistically how poor England's batting lineup is it isn't that much of a surprise. Apart from Root I don't think any England player averages over 35; them averaging 25 isn't that bug a drop.

Poor overseas record notwithstanding, Warner having the series he has is a far bigger level of underachievement.

When you factor in Khawaja's record and underachievement, I think pound for pound Australia had the better batting lineup going into this series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They did. Easily.

No one would have expected Warner to spud it up to the extent he has. Made about six 50s in the last series over there, didn't he? Christ, if he'd done that this series it'd be 4-0. He's been pathetic.

While the pillow was never expected to dominate given it's overseas and someone might have asked a moderately difficult question of his batting, you would also ahve thought he'd have contributed something moderate as an established player. But he was rubbish too, though not Warner levels of rubbish.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England has been bowled out in basically a session on a number of occasions in the recent past

Australia’s batting is not great but England is pretty awful

TheJediBrah

So the general consensus has been that England's batting has been very bad, and that Australia's bowling has been extremely good, but it doesn't seem as though a lot of thought is going into how related the 2 are.

Maybe England haven't been that bad but made to look it because Australia have bowled well, or vice versa.

DriveClub

International Regular
Also Root is one of the dumbest captains I've seen, comparatively Paine looks like a cricketing mastermind because of how crap root is.

DriveClub

International Regular
On all counts Australia just has a far better test team everything put together. Shouldn't have any issues winning the last test.

Woodster

International Captain
England's batting is fragile, and the same would be true if they played any other Test nation. The fragility has been exacerbated and exposed by a fantastic Aussie attack that offers little respite.

We have too many batsmen that like playing their shots, successes of the ODI side, and while at times each of them have dug in it doesn't look a comfortable transformation, we are just lacking genuine long-format batsmen content to bat a long, long time. This is borne out of our single focus on one-day cricket in recent years.

Steve Smith has been ridiculously good, he doesn't play the series and who knows who wins it. Still think the Aussies have a more potent attack (especially with us having no Jimmy), but again you tend to run in that bit harder for longer, etc, when you've got a score on the board.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm on the opposite side of this debate tbh. I actually think this is the worst time to try out random young new players; it happens a lot in 5th Test dead rubbers and, mostly, it never goes well for the team or for the player in question.

I honestly think England have done the right thing by more or less sticking with the same general squad. Put this series behind them, sit down and assess your options properly, don't try to rush a rebuild in three days.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm on the opposite side of this debate tbh. I actually think this is the worst time to try out random young new players; it happens a lot in 5th Test dead rubbers and, mostly, it never goes well for the team or for the player in question.

I honestly think England have done the right thing by more or less sticking with the same general squad. Put this series behind them, sit down and assess your options properly, don't try to rush a rebuild in three days.
Certainly agree with your second paragraph.......and it's not like we're holding an ace in the wings that has any chance of making a difference.

But I want to add that the Oval is no 5th test dead rubber......**** that idea totally. There is a lot on this game for both sides and I'd expect neither to approach it with any less importance than the 4th test.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yeah, definitely not a dead rubber. Australia need to win or draw in order to win an Ashes series in England for the first time since 2001. England need to win to not lose the series.

Sheen1979

Cricket Spectator
Ignoring the fact England won't be 150-2, that's a narrow basis for picking a Test #4. It's not going to make you a good Test side - it won't win you matches and series' v the better sides.

I hope England pick him for the tour to NZ. He's a hopeless Test player. I completely back Boult to make mince meat out of him.
I agree its a narrow basis, and clutching at straws, but I think its also fair to give him a shot at his best position. More experienced players like Buttler and Bairstow are equally making a dogs dinner of batting, and lads like Ballance and Vince have been given more chances. In the long run, I think he probably has too much to change technique wise to make it, but he probably deserves 3 or 4 Tests at his best position to get the chance to make a balls of it

aussie tragic

International Captain
Looks like Warner will be playing given Langers qoute:

"Davey hasn't had a great series but imagine how good the team will be when he starts having a great series and we're hopeful he'll do that in the next Test match."

3 ducks in a row, Mark Waugh holds the batsmen record with 4...can he beat him lol

TheJediBrah

Certainly agree with your second paragraph.......and it's not like we're holding an ace in the wings that has any chance of making a difference.

But I want to add that the Oval is no 5th test dead rubber......**** that idea totally. There is a lot on this game for both sides and I'd expect neither to approach it with any less importance than the 4th test.
Yeah, definitely not a dead rubber. Australia need to win or draw in order to win an Ashes series in England for the first time since 2001. England need to win to not lose the series.
Don't forget Test championship points too.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Oh this Test has a 'Race to 7000' in it.

Joe Root, 6965 runs (157 inn) needs 35

Steve Smith, 6870 runs (122 inn) needs 130

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain

Pope? Surely cannot be worse than Roy....

I mean, you know what they say about the definition of insanity....

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
How many in the forum think on the lines of Langer that Warner will be back in strong form? I, for one, am hoping that to happen.