• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They just don't seem to have the stomach for the fight once he's got his eye in. I may have to retract that if he keeps averaging 150 in subsequent series, but I suspect he won't. He'll be more than OK of course, but better attacks will make a better fist of things.
Hmm, a tad harsh I think mate. Granted this series he's been that bit extra brutal, but he's clearly on another level with a point to prove from his year out.

I think we've tactically let up to him a bit at times, but as critical as I think we should be about large elements of our performance this series, I don't think Smith's output and our role in it is one. Sometimes you've just got to accept that someone is too good.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What happened?
Archer to Wade, 3 runs, fuller on off, he drives with a punch, straight of mid on, they push for three, they get it easily but Bairstow faked the ball was being thrown to his end! Smith dives full length for no reason! Everyone is laughing

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, a tad harsh I think mate. Granted this series he's been that bit extra brutal, but he's clearly on another level with a point to prove from his year out.

I think we've tactically let up to him a bit at times, but as critical as I think we should be about large elements of our performance this series, I don't think Smith's output and our role in it is one. Sometimes you've just got to accept that someone is too good.
Rightly or wrongly, for me it's the drop-off in intensity after he's set. Yes he's a fabulous batsman, but it feels like a charity game once he's passed 20. Archer the one exception on occasions.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would love to see Labu get a 100 soon. As good a pitch as Wade is going to get in England. Should make it count.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bairstow fake fielded to troll smith
I'm struggling to picture this, despite the cricinfo commentary too. Did he mime the ball coming to him when it was going to the other end or something? And has that been specifically outlawed? I'm missing something here, as I don't see why the laws would address it.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Smith started this innings as the 15th highest Aussie run scorer in a series with 671. He's now 9th with 707 passing Bradman, himself, Morris, Walters, Chappell and Ponting.

Next 5 targets are pretty telling on where Smith stands.

8. Bradman 715
7. Bradman 758
6. Smith 769
5. Bradman 806
4. Bradman 810

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting stuff on Sky that Woakes has got the least swing out of all the bowlers in this match. Weird and worrying.