• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner Fail thread

halba

International 12th Man
Definitely nowhere near the same player pre-ban. Smith is actually a better player pre-ban. But warner, hes on his way out. How long can we keep persisting him. If we cant win the ashes, he's out im afraid.

61, 0 Australia v England Leeds 22 Aug 2019 Test # 2357
3, 5 Australia v England Lord's 14 Aug 2019 Test # 2355
2, 8 Australia v England Birmingham 1 Aug 2019 Test # 2353
0,0 latest test

thats 3 0's, and 7 single digit scores out of 8 innings...

He's gotten a pair in this test match. In a critical match..Batting average is 9.87 in a critical ashes series..thats awful.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Maybe it's just a case of age beginning to catch up with Warner; he's 33 in a couple of months and it's pretty rare for aggressive openers to maintain their previous standards once they get to their mid-30s.

He's prob good enough for home conditions for a couple of seasons but they have to think about leaving him out on overseas tours in the future.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Isn't it possible that Warner simply cannot cope with one specific bowler, and once they come up against a Broadless team he might be right back to his best?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Is it possible that Warner is only good when he's a ****? Since his return he has been 'nice'. He is smiling out there currently and holding his words now, and getting out. Can Australia allow its new nice guy pollicy to include 1 ****? 1 **** in a group of eleven? Thats not bad!

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Before the first test you would have said it was definitely Warner, rather than Smith who was emphatically back to his best post-ban. He had a pretty dominant IPL and a great world cup (although some people who obviously weren't paying attention to Warner pre-ban were saying he was batting too slowly and had lost all his touch). One of the things to remember is Warner was never really better than below average on English wickets opening against the Dukes ball. If he was picked again over the home summer I would fully expect him to peel off 3-4 hundreds on home decks. It might be worth giving someone else a shot opening though, with the aim of grooming someone more likely to succeed overseas.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, he scored near on 600 runs in the World Cup, did he not? So whilst he's **** the bed this series, hardly can say he's no good now that he has to be nice or the ban completely wiped his form. One bowler completely has his number, doesn't predict that he won't wipe the floor with us come the southern summer (**** I hope not).

Mind you, I feel a certain amount of satisfaction that he's not scoring runs - when he shouldn't be playing and attempting to score them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it possible that Warner is only good when he's a ****? Since his return he has been 'nice'. He is smiling out there currently and holding his words now, and getting out. Can Australia allow its new nice guy pollicy to include 1 ****? 1 **** in a group of eleven? Thats not bad!
You're advocating dropping Nathan Lyon?

halba

International 12th Man
I mean, he scored near on 600 runs in the World Cup, did he not? So whilst he's **** the bed this series, hardly can say he's no good now that he has to be nice or the ban completely wiped his form. One bowler completely has his number, doesn't predict that he won't wipe the floor with us come the southern summer (**** I hope not).

Mind you, I feel a certain amount of satisfaction that he's not scoring runs - when he shouldn't be playing and attempting to score them.
white ball cricket isnt relevant to red ball anymore. look at Finch, Roy, other failed examples.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
white ball cricket isnt relevant to red ball anymore. look at Finch, Roy, other failed examples.
That's a silly compairson. Warner unlike the other two is a proven performer in tests, so his white ball form is definitely relevant. To say he's finished at this level would be premature.

halba

International 12th Man
Can we say he is done for the time being though?
hes done. he's a shadow of his former pre ban self. at age 32, he's not a long term option for Australian selectors. Hes been given a lot of chances this series. his average is under 10 runs. time for some new blood. And marcus harris doesnt cut it either.

his last 4 innings

the 3 0's in a row, is test match suicide and selectors can chop him off.

I have no idea who is next in line for opener. Bancroft, Warner, Marcus harris, a litany of duds, Burns, and others come to mind. The opening bat position has been extremely weak.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
hes done. he's a shadow of his former pre ban self. at age 32, he's not a long term option for Australian selectors. Hes been given a lot of chances this series. his average is under 10 runs. time for some new blood. And marcus harris doesnt cut it either.

his last 4 innings

the 3 0's in a row, is test match suicide and selectors can chop him off.

I have no idea who is next in line for opener. Bancroft, Warner, Marcus harris, a litany of duds, Burns, and others come to mind. The opening bat position has been extremely weak.
He'd be gone if there were any other viable options to open, but there isn't

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He'd be gone if there were any other viable options to open, but there isn't
No he wouldn't. He's just been absolutely demolished by a guy who he cannot score a run against. As much as I don't like the guy at all, I wouldn't be surprised to see him score runs throughout the home summer. As I posted earlier, he came back and scored a weight of World Cup runs - not the same format, but notably the same sport.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Its been a bit of a noticeable feature all through Warners career, he's either bossing it in one format or the other......very seldom hot in both at the same time.

I called this at the end of the WC that since he scored a truck load of ODI runs I felt there was every chance he'd stink it up in the Ashes. The guys a dislikaeble **** but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet as a test batsmen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Its been a bit of a noticeable feature all through Warners career, he's either bossing it in one format or the other......very seldom hot in both at the same time.

I called this at the end of the WC that since he scored a truck load of ODI runs I felt there was every chance he'd stink it up in the Ashes. The guys a dislikaeble **** but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet as a test batsmen.
No, unfortunately I think he's still got runs in him. Hopefully Trent can sort him out this summer, the last thing we want to see is him jumping all over the place celebrating tonnes.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner will come good, at least at home. You don't drop a good player like him for a few failures when you really don't have a backup plan.