• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Just thought would shoot a question. Who would be better against ATG spinners ? Smith or Bradman ?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the start of the year I said an Ashes win in England should cement his place in the upper echelon of cricketing geniuses. Would never have thought that he'd get this many. 2 140s, 2 scores of 80+ and a double. :laugh:

I don't care about how you rate careers or whatever, Smith is the greatest Australian batsman since Bradman because he just doesn't get out.

vcs

On an individual level, he's had the perfect series really. Like Lara in Sri Lanka, or against Australia in '99.

Smith's actually had several series like that, India home and away, England at home in the last Ashes. Remarkable batsman.

trundler

Yeah, the frequency with which he has those series is astonishing. He's got so much x factor and consistency. True master.

vcs

Average is pushing 65 right now, so even with the inevitable dip at some point and tail off towards the end of his career, I'll be shocked if it goes lower than 58. Which would leave him with a very strong case for 2nd best of all time.

TheJediBrah

that's gold from Harmison. Didn't he play in the 2005 Ashes famous for England systematically ball tampering for the whole series? And calling Smith a cheat purely because he happened to be captain of a team when a couple of morons came up with the dumbest ball tampering plan in history?

That's like Charles Manson walking up to someone and calling them a criminal because they littered

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sports/cr..._2A4E30aWpM8-P-hB5yoOrAH215ndJ9q8TuRQmroPO9c0

Harmison was never the smartest lad around, was he. That's the sort of thing I'd expect Michael Vaughan to say just for a reaction, not as a serious viewpoint.
Yeah, that's just crap from Harmy. At the start of the series I got no issue at all with the stick Smith has copped.......he was never going to get off Scot free on his return. But to his credit, he's taken it all on the chin and just gone about his business.

I think at some point though the banter has to stop and you've just got to appreciate what he's doing......we haven't seen this level of masterclass in 80 odd years, be a shame if it's all lost on some people.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah even if Smith was the worst ball tamperer in history that wouldn't invalidate his batting record. It's not like ball tampering could help his batting. If anything his opponents would be more likely to tamper themselves and therefore his job would be harder.

Harmison isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, though he is a tool.

TheJediBrah

I was saying at the time of the bans, that they would influence the mentally-challenged unwashed masses in exactly this way. Give them a slap on the wrists like every other ball tamperer in history and everyone forgets about it in a few weeks, but go ahead and go absolutely full r***** and ban them for a year to satisfy sponsors/claim the moral high ground and everyone will remember it for years to come. The blokes (or women) at CA who made that decision should be facing a lot more retribution than they have.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What your saying isn't wrong Brah, but the "mentally challenged unwashed masses" comment is a crock of ****. 100% If the situation was reversed and it was Joe Root, you'd be front row centre getting stuck into him.

And it's not wrong, it's just the way it is........the Ashes gets us all worked up and any chance to stick the boot in or claim a moral high ground is taken by most of us.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adders is correct, the sodding pom that he is. If you don't blame the opposition players and fans for every minor indiscretion during the most important sporting - nay world - event on the calendar then you're as bad as the soap dodgers.

TheJediBrah

What your saying isn't wrong Brah, but the "mentally challenged unwashed masses" comment is a crock of ****. 100% If the situation was reversed and it was Joe Root, you'd be front row centre getting stuck into him.

And it's not wrong, it's just the way it is........the Ashes gets us all worked up and any chance to stick the boot in or claim a moral high ground is taken by most of us.
Absolutely not. In the same way that most posters on this site are informed enough that they don't go around calling Smith a "cheat" at every opportunity, I wouldn't do the same for another player. It genuinely is only the particularly stupid and those relatively unfamiliar with cricket as a sport from what I've seen

When everyone was booing Broad back in the day and claiming he was a cheat I was a voice of reason and kept pointing out that he didn't actually do anything wrong

morgieb

Yeah the yobbos would be booing the **** out of Root the first time he came here, lol

Some of this is a bit too vindictive though. Kudos for Smith to put it behind him.