• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine fail thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imagine if captaincy was weighing Smith down as a batsman and he’s only just getting started

vcs

Who was doing the bowling when he broke his finger originally?
India's team management is way ahead of you guys.. they had Bumrah break Vijay Shankar's toes in the nets during the World Cup when they found out he was out of his depth and wanted to get rid of him.

the big bambino

International Captain
boy I hope this isn't about me because I feel like time has been pretty kind to my "dropping bancroft is stupid" post :cool:
bancroft's omission is probably one of the most uncontroversial decisions in recent history so I reckon you're just being kind to yourself. Dropping Paine - now that would be dumb, especially as the two next in line are comparative iron gloves and not likely to score any more runs under pressure to justify their inclusion. Though Carey eventually, maybe. Then you have to find a captain too.

Spikey

and it was also stupid :oops:

thankfully I haven't suggested dropping paine. he's trash, but I'm pretty sure it'd literally have to be approved by the CA board so it's not in any way a realistic option.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I'm less harsh than most on Paine's defensive field placing for Stokes. He's such a destructive batsmen that if you kept the field up for an entire over you could easily envisage over 25 being hit off it.

And when you factor in hitting switch hits for six, clipping low full tosses over square leg for six and hitting all round the oval, it would be damn tough to captain against.

the big bambino

International Captain
and it was also stupid :oops:

thankfully I haven't suggested dropping paine. he's trash, but I'm pretty sure it'd literally have to be approved by the CA board so it's not in any way a realistic option.
That's true you haven't said Paine should be dropped. The comment about dropping Paine is just an example of what would really be a stupid decision. Bancroft's icing doesn't rate in comparison. I mean anyone of Wade, Bancroft/Harris and unfortunately Usman and Warner could make way for Smith given their current form. So i didn't see the case for Bancroft's retention as a must. As for Paine I rate him a little more. At least he's better atm than his competition. Hopefully Carey will do something about that this summer.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Paine will obviously play out the series, however is quickly becoming one of the most hated captains Australia has ever had.

At least previous captains could make runs to take some focus off their tactical blunders, or were still tactical brilliant when out of form (Mark Taylor)

Burgey

It's ridiculous he'd be a figure of hatred. Rag on him for not batting well or if his keeping is substandard, but the bloke took over the side in ridiculous, CA-imposed circumstances without ever thinking he would have to, and has led a massively weakened side for a year. FMD cut the bloke some slack re his captaincy. He's 1-1 in an away Ashes series when far stronger units led by the likes of Ponting and Clarke have gone away and been 2-0 or 3-0 down by now, and it took a freak innings and a large slice of ordinary luck for him not to have pocketed the Ashes already.

aussie tragic

International Captain
You're right, hate is the wrong word.

Let's say most frustrating Aussie captain ever. I mean he chooses to bowl when sunny and bat when cloudy and that useless leg side lbw review ended up costing the test match. Not to mention his one and only FC ton when his technique suggests he can actually bat...

TheJediBrah

I'm less harsh than most on Paine's defensive field placing for Stokes. He's such a destructive batsmen that if you kept the field up for an entire over you could easily envisage over 25 being hit off it.

And when you factor in hitting switch hits for six, clipping low full tosses over square leg for six and hitting all round the oval, it would be damn tough to captain against.
Yeah there was absolutely nothing wrong with the field placings. Stokes nearly holed out to the men in the deep almost a dozen times. Bringing more men in wouldn't have helped anything.

Burgey

he batted in the first test - and won.
he bowled in the second test I suspect primarily because it was shortened to four days and the only way to lose was to have two completed innings, and drew it after losing the best player half way through it

the review was bad, but with so few runs left and getting desperate, I can see why he did it. and yeah, he's ordinary with the cue. I expected a few useful contributions down the order tbh, but he's given us nothing much so far. I think he really suffers because he's so easily bogged down when he's batting.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I don't think most people hate Paine. I certainly don't and I'm not overly critical of his captaincy either. He doesn't have the tactical nous of some others we've had but he's been better than Smith was in many ways.

TheJediBrah

The issue is stephen, that given that his batting is atrocious and keeping mediocre, his captaincy needs to be ridiculously exceptional, like the best in history by a margin, for him to merit a place in the team. Just being a "good enough" captain isn't acceptable when it's the only string to your bow.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The issue is stephen, that given that his batting is atrocious and keeping mediocre, his captaincy needs to be ridiculously exceptional, like the best in history by a margin, for him to merit a place in the team. Just being a "good enough" captain isn't acceptable when it's the only string to your bow.
He's the best keeper currently available in the country. He's also done pretty well with the bat prior to this series. His test average is over 30, which is more than Harris, Bancroft, Marsh or Wade - all of which are in the squad vying for a top 6 position.

TheJediBrah

He's the best keeper currently available in the country. He's also done pretty well with the bat prior to this series. His test average is over 30, which is more than Harris, Bancroft, Marsh or Wade - all of which are in the squad vying for a top 6 position.
who cares about prior to this series

Khawaja averages over 40 prior to this series and he hasn't been good enough either

vcs

He is a decent enough gloveman to spin, which is rare for Aussie keepers. Seen him take some good catches off Lyon.

Burgey

He is a decent enough gloveman to spin, which is rare for Aussie keepers. Seen him take some good catches off Lyon.
Yes, Healy, Gilchrist and Haddin were all poor to spinners, as no doubt were Oldfield, Tallon and Grout.

Flem274*

123/5
It's ridiculous he'd be a figure of hatred. Rag on him for not batting well or if his keeping is substandard, but the bloke took over the side in ridiculous, CA-imposed circumstances without ever thinking he would have to, and has led a massively weakened side for a year. FMD cut the bloke some slack re his captaincy. He's 1-1 in an away Ashes series when far stronger units led by the likes of Ponting and Clarke have gone away and been 2-0 or 3-0 down by now, and it took a freak innings and a large slice of ordinary luck for him not to have pocketed the Ashes already.
yeah this

he can't catch the ball on behalf of lyon, or half the other ****s for that matter.