• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine fail thread

the big bambino

International Captain
Warner and Smith can't be considered. Usman is shakey. Wade nup and Travis needs to establish himself as a batsman first. None of the fast bowlers given their fitness record so that leaves Lyon and Paine. Which really means Paine. No other option just yet so he has to stay. At least he's been contributing unlike say Bancroft. Yet one guy here hates Paine but wanted Bancroft retained. Durrrr ... Hilditch level of selectorship.

Shady Slim

International Coach
paine is the only captaincy option, smith was a bad captain even before the ball tampering (woke people to agree), nobody else is secure enough in the team to warrant usurping of the captaincy either... paine is also the best wicketkeeper in the country out of the possible selections, i saw a guy advocating to give wade the gloves or the captaincy and nearly spat my drink tbh

guess we could bring watto back

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Missing the obvious choice. Bring Finch back as a middle-order bat and captain. That's where he should have been selected anyway, and he's already captain of the limited-overs sides.

morgieb

Missing the obvious choice. Bring Finch back as a middle-order bat and captain. That's where he should have been selected anyway, and he's already captain of the limited-overs sides.
Perhaps, but I think he'd epic fail in England even in the middle-order. Might do better in Australia though.

TheJediBrah

Perhaps, but I think he'd epic fail in England even in the middle-order. Might do better in Australia though.
Genuinely good captain though, and can't do any worse than Wade, Khawaja, Paine etc. with the bat.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Finch (c)
Carey

With KPat and/or Pucovski to come in when we finally figure out that Head is trash

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You could play Finch as Keeper/middle order bat. Just super glue Paine to his back and get Finch to stick his arms inside his shirt when fielding - Paine's arms are used to keep, and Finch's when batting. It'd still be like a piss weak version of Adam Gilchrist, but we'd probably score more runs. The only problem I can see is that Finch would run like Inzamam Ul-Haq between the wickets.

Paine is Tasmanian, so he'd be perfectly familiar with the situation.

Last edited:

Spikey

Warner and Smith can't be considered. Usman is shakey. Wade nup and Travis needs to establish himself as a batsman first. None of the fast bowlers given their fitness record so that leaves Lyon and Paine. Which really means Paine. No other option just yet so he has to stay. At least he's been contributing unlike say Bancroft. Yet one guy here hates Paine but wanted Bancroft retained. Durrrr ... Hilditch level of selectorship.
boy I hope this isn't about me because I feel like time has been pretty kind to my "dropping bancroft is stupid" post :cool:

Spikey

paine is the only captaincy option, smith was a bad captain even before the ball tampering (woke people to agree), nobody else is secure enough in the team to warrant usurping of the captaincy either... paine is also the best wicketkeeper in the country out of the possible selections, i saw a guy advocating to give wade the gloves or the captaincy and nearly spat my drink tbh

guess we could bring watto back
who cares? we overemphasis the captaincy. just pick any old ****, like they did with tim paine, and bin them when they don't deserve a place in the team

Burgey

Why do you think he'd have scored any more runs than Harris? I get they're both cod ordinary, mind you.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
who cares? we overemphasis the captaincy. just pick any old ****, like they did with tim paine, and bin them when they don't deserve a place in the team
Just give it to Cummins as an interim measure and then shove it onto whoever secures a middle order spot.

Or, y'know, give it to Head like they probably would if Paine broke his finger again and had to retire..

Spikey

Why do you think he'd have scored any more runs than Harris? I get they're both cod ordinary, mind you.
I don't think he would have, it probably would have been the same ordinary stuff, probably would have taken a catch though

The reason why I thought it was stupid was A) I thought they should have stuck with their original decision, given the full time selectors hopefully made after careful analysis of the two players and adjudged Bancroft to be better, so Bancroft should still be the better player in their eyes given only two tests occurred (lol, they picked On Form) and B) I thought it was inevitable that Smith would come back and we would have the ludicrous scenario where they might end up dropping a better batsman because You Can't Drop Harris After One Test. That's basically what is gonna happen, although the nature of the loss might inspire them to dump Harris anyway, given Wade might go for MMarsh, leaving it between Usman and Harris.

We did this exact thing in 2013 when one of Hughes/Smith had to be dropped for Warner because they couldn't drop Usman after one test. (of course, Hughes got dropped)

Last edited:

Spikey

Just give it to Cummins as an interim measure and then shove it onto whoever secures a middle order spot.

Or, y'know, give it to Head like they probably would if Paine broke his finger again and had to retire..
Dan, I hope you're not suggesting someone should break Paine's finger....although based on his posting last night, morgieb would do it