• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine fail thread

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit hyperbolic that
Yeah, true. But the whole saga caused a **** load of damage in any case and I think he failed to stamp out enough on-field aggression that meant that CA had to be so heavy-handed with their approach.

Daemon

He's been crap with the bat and gloves. His captaincy isn't great but I thought it was good he brought Lyon back to create some chances.

Dunno whether the review should be in the spotlight of discussion. Obviously it was dumb af and made worse because he had 15 seconds to think it through instead of most mistakes made in cricket which are instinctive, but it's the umpires responsibility to make the right decisions after all.

Lyon's misfield was infinitely worse imo. So bad.

vcs

Would anyone in Australia cricket actually mind if Smith got the captaincy back at this stage?
He seems to have a freakish sort of focus at the crease that you think it wouldn't affect his batting. I'd be all for it. 99% of captaincy is leading from the front and having good players. Can't afford to carry passengers, which Paine certainly is.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Smith was a pretty ordinary tactical captain imo and even pre-SA seemed not emotionally suited to the demands of captaincy. Should only be a last resort.

OverratedSanity

Smith was a pretty ordinary tactical captain imo and even pre-SA seemed not emotionally suited to the demands of captaincy. Should only be a last resort.
I would, although not for the stupid reasons that casuals would
It'd be pretty funny if they did it.

During sandpaper gate, I thought the appropriate action would be to not ban Smith for any further games but simply strip him of the captaincy for the rest of his career. If they hand him the captaincy, it'll be the literal opposite of what I think would've been the right course of action.

Spark

Global Moderator
It'd be pretty funny if they did it.

During sandpaper gate, I thought the appropriate action would be to not ban Smith for any further games but simply strip him of the captaincy for the rest of his career. If they hand him the captaincy, it'll be the literal opposite of what I think would've been the right course of action.
Yeah I wouldn't even have done it as a punishment. The captaincy was quite clearly weighing him down mentally and he was just plain not good at it. Win-win for all involved.

Niall

International Coach
Is Smith not banned for been captain for a certain length of time?

The next senior batsman is Usman which could be a decent PR move,, but doesn't really strike me as captain material and not exactly a lock for the next few years.

vcs

He got away for a long time being just kind of anodyne but people now actively dislike him haha.

Him getting randomly picked as first choice when he was on the verge of packing it in, and then being catapulted into the captaincy job is a pretty bizarre story when you think of it.

trundler

He got away for a long time being just kind of anodyne but people now actively dislike him haha.

Him getting randomly picked as first choice when he was on the verge of packing it in, and then being catapulted into the captaincy job is a pretty bizarre story when you think of it.
I was thinking how he'd be the luckiest bastard in the world if Australia won this Ashes despite his woeful captaincy earlier. Well, now I feel sort of bad for him.

morgieb

Is Smith not banned for been captain for a certain length of time?

The next senior batsman is Usman which could be a decent PR move,, but doesn't really strike me as captain material and not exactly a lock for the next few years.
Worth noting Usman is the captain of Queensland when he does play for them. Problem is he's not entrenched in the side....

Travis Head is leadership material?
I think so, but equally he's not quite a Best XI lock yet. Close but you'd want the captain to be a Best XI lock.