Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 272 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree1219Likes

Thread: 3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Flint View Post
    I still remember most Australians on these pages telling us how great jackson bird is and how he would be leading the attack for every other team bar South Africa. Still waiting for this to be proven
    Personally, drawing a comparison between Hilfenhaus and Anderson is my favourite Stephenism. Yours is a fine choice too.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Does the plot involve a Royal Commission into the Strauss cheating at Lord's set next to an underground cell of Tranmere supporters plotting the kidnapping and disposal of John Barnes?
    No but it should. Let's get that made.
    GIMH

CW LEGEND. HEAD OF FEATURES 2009-11. BOTM CHAMPION 2011 & 15. LORD PROTECTOR 2019-20. PLATINUM LOUNGE FOUNDING MEMBER. TORY **** 2005-13. DELUDED CENTRIST 2013-15. PART OF EVERY PROBLEM 2016-PRESENT. THE GOVERNMENT IS A CONCEPT BY WHICH WE MEASURE OUR PAIN.

SWA/UP THE ENGLISH

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Personally, drawing a comparison between Hilfenhaus and Anderson is my favourite Stephenism. Yours is a fine choice too.
    Tbf to him, Bird was greeting talked up around 8 years ago as potentially being the best Aussie quick of this generation. Not just by me, but by many on here.

Now Bird isn't that good but he's genuinely got the shaft being sent home while we play Siddle. He'd do Siddle's job while actually taking wickets.

Hilfenhaus was genuinely good for a while there. Anderson wouldn't have had a much better career for Australia were he born here. 135 kph swing bowlers don't get long international careers in Australia.
    trundler likes this.

State Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Farkspark View Post
    My pick for Oz
    Warner
    Khawaja
    Smith
    Labuschagne
    Head
    Wade ( keeper )
    Pattinson
    Cummins
    Starc
    Lyon
    Hazelwood
    Wade is not a good enough wicket keeper, we are not dropping our captain.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I know he's feeling his way back and I rate him generally, but Pattinson didn't really pull up too many trees in the first test, did he?

Two wickets, Roy and Denly and, well, y'know, not exactly Hutton and Compton, are they?

Headingley is probably the track most likely to suit Siddle too.
    Also hit Roots stumps but the bails didn't come off
    cricket rules brah

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Tbf to him, Bird was greeting talked up around 8 years ago as potentially being the best Aussie quick of this generation. Not just by me, but by many on here.

Now Bird isn't that good but he's genuinely got the shaft being sent home while we play Siddle. He'd do Siddle's job while actually taking wickets.

Hilfenhaus was genuinely good for a while there. Anderson wouldn't have had a much better career for Australia were he born here. 135 kph swing bowlers don't get long international careers in Australia.
    It's more fun to misrepresent people so I'll stick to that, thanks

International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    135 kph swing bowlers don't get long international careers in Australia.
    We've had McGrath, Clark, Reiffel, Fleming, Alderman, Siddle, Kaspa, Bichel, Reid, Hilf who've all had good to excellent careers. Granted not all are swing bowlers but most would be panting heavily getting to 135 clicks. I think if Anderson was an Aussie he'd have still gotten plenty of tours to England, NZ, SA for example as well as games here against certain opponents. Realistically could have had an Alderman like career for us.

Other than McGrath, the rest would still go down as what ifs wouldn't they? Fleming and Alderman especially. Not the most fulfilled careers.

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Other than McGrath, the rest would still go down as what ifs wouldn't they? Fleming and Alderman especially. Not the most fulfilled careers.
    True to an extent I guess. Some went down because of injury (thinking mainly Reid and Flem here). Others had long fc careers though and performed well enough and long enough to be always considered for the test team. So they were always around and successful but when you're up against blokes like Lee and Gillespie then you miss out. However if they were picked AND as long as we had one express bowler, I'd be happy with that kind of attack.

Flem at least had high profile moments at the business end of 2 world cups

He's a player that I'm always surprised to see played so little cricket

Wait whaaaat? No. The potential best Aussie quick of this generation this time ~6-8 years ago was pretty universally seen as one of Pattinson, Hazlewood or Starc.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

those nights were on fire
    we couldn't get higher
    we didn't know that we had it all
    but no one warns you before the fall

International Vice-Captain GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Somewhere vaguely near the Mercantile Mutual sign
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    We've had McGrath, Clark, Reiffel, Fleming, Alderman, Siddle, Kaspa, Bichel, Reid, Hilf who've all had good to excellent careers. Granted not all are swing bowlers but most would be panting heavily getting to 135 clicks. I think if Anderson was an Aussie he'd have still gotten plenty of tours to England, NZ, SA for example as well as games here against certain opponents. Realistically could have had an Alderman like career for us.
    Can't really agree at all with that one

McGrath: Second half of his career definitely. Sharper than many realised in the early days
    Clark: Yeah, for the most part
    Reiffel: Was lively enough, not express but certainly not a medium pacer
    Fleming: Pretty much, relied more on swing than a lot of his contemporaries
    Alderman: Yeah. Especially post shoulder injury
    Siddle: Nope, not in his best years he wasn't
    Kasprowicz: At his peak he certainly wasn't sluggish
    Bichel: Nope, could definitely get up to 140 when bowling well
    Reid: Fair enough, not rapid but could be a nightmare with all that bounce he got
    Hilfy: Mostly so, except that India series a few years back

Considering the top three wicket takers were Copes Bird and Boland last season, I certainly don't think Shield bowlers were sluggish back then
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"
    Grew up wanting to be Warnie, couldn't even crack Daniel Doran level

I think you're arguing the exception not the norm. Yes, a few, were capable of hitting 140 every now and then. Some like Siddle had a brief moment of speed but generally all are known as fast medium - around the 130 - 139 mark.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 19-08-2019 at 06:34 PM.

International Vice-Captain GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Somewhere vaguely near the Mercantile Mutual sign
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I think you're arguing the exception not the norm. Yes, a few, were capable of hitting 140 every now and then. Some like Siddle had a brief moment of speed but generally all are known as fast medium - around the 130 - 139 mark.
    I am not saying any were necessarily ever express, but absolutely and comprehensively believe the average domestic bowler of the era was faster (and generally better) than their modern day counterparts

Sorry to single him out again, but Luke Feldman is a perfect example of the problems with the Shield these days. Wobbly 120-125kph garbage yet he was taking bulk wickets. Nobody in their right mind would think he was even remotely close to international standard

People need to get over the thing that McGrath wasn’t that quick

Here’s an article quoting him

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/glen...iew/2016-11-13

Fastest recorded speed of 92mph and he felt that he was quicker than that early in his career

The guy was definitely sharp for most of his career and hit a lot of batsmen but reached the point where he was so good that he didn’t need to use pace alone to get people out
    Last edited by social; 19-08-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    GoodAreasShane likes this.

Page 6 of 272 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information