• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i didn't realise hazlewoods average had risen so much. i thought it was low 20s still. who did he run into? india didn't do that much damage did they?
More South Africa than anything else. Which was really worrying given that should've suited his MO to a tee.

Spark

Global Moderator
You don't want to write off a clearly talented cricketer after two and a half games, but there's zero indication that Roy is even a vague parody of a Test match opener in English conditions.

morgieb

i've watched aus whenever they're on tv during that time and i guess i'll have to coin the term 'sneaky bad' to counter 'sneaky good'. i didn't realise i was watching someone bowl so sneaky bad. i guess when starc takes a dump on the bed it's more noticeable.
Recently he's gotten a lot of 3/50 sort of analyses which look solid but isn't much to write home about, and then his average gets squeezed when Australia see a road.

morgieb

McGrath never did that well in South Africa.
Still averaged 23.62 in South Africa, and I think that includes a fair bit of early McGrath before he found his feet at Test level. IIRC Haze's average there was like 40.

Uppercut

i've watched aus whenever they're on tv during that time and i guess i'll have to coin the term 'sneaky bad' to counter 'sneaky good'. i didn't realise i was watching someone bowl so sneaky bad. i guess when starc takes a dump on the bed it's more noticeable.
He's averaged around 35 for the last two years. Been in really bad nick for a long while.
Thing about Hazlewood is, he looks like he should be perfect for bowling in England, but this is his 6th test and he's never taken more than 3 wickets in an innings. He's very often been the best Australian bowler in those matches, but there are times when conditions are such that he should be really coming into his own and he just doesn't really get the job done.

We'll see if he fixes it today.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That bobbing- twisting thing that Burns does reminds me of Handscomb in that it's a really smooth movement that just somehow looks a bit wrong, like when Handscomb taps bat on the ground.

Got him!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see Cummins is taking the Devon Malcolm approach in trying to batter the life out of the Headingley pitch.

Awesome. There goes my LMS.

morgieb

Put Roy at 4 in our next innings (most likely in the next Test :ph34r:)
You have to surely. Even 4 seems high for him in English conditions though. He's lucky that the other options are either tried and failed (Ballance), may have lost form (Sibley, Northeast) or bat below 4 at county level (Pope)

Root's form is about as alarming as Warner's at this point.