• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

hazsa19

International Regular
I am not. I want him to play. He is the weakest link.
I want Starc to play. I miss the utter randomness that comes with a bowler like that. With him we could either be 110-0 or 60-5 at lunch on day 1.

The 2 units in this series are predictably good so far.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Easily explained. They've fooled themselves into thinking cloud reliant medium pacers make great bowlers.
I wish when I was going through puberty there had been forums around long enough for me to rehash their decade old jokes as part of my edgy shtick. But alas they didn't exist.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want Starc to play. I miss the utter randomness that comes with a bowler like that. With him we could either be 110-0 or 60-5 at lunch on day 1.

The 2 units in this series are predictably good so far.
I'd play him, not just because it's meant to rain the night before and will probably hoop around a bit. But I suspect they'll bring in Patto.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd play him, not just because it's meant to rain the night before and will probably hoop around a bit. But I suspect they'll bring in Patto.
Doesn't matter who you play when your batting line up will average 8 between them. Going to get messy this one. :ph34r:

Uppercut

Got applauded off mind. Rightly so too. Don't care that it was only a 70-odd (or whatever it was - less than a ton anyway) - by far and away the best batting I've ever seen live.
It was such a strange day. Australia swung England out for nothing, then England responded by bouncing the lacquer off the ball while getting smashed.

In other words it was exactly like every England home Ashes win since 2005 except with the teams swapped.

Burgey

That'll put them about 1.5 ahead of your lot.

Travis Head once again quietly going about building a decent series among the batting trash of both teams (Smith aside, obviously). Gets a bad wrap from most but has barely set a foot wrong since daybooing. Needs to start converting, but he's been very consistent so far.

Burgey

Got applauded off mind. Rightly so too. Don't care that it was only a 70-odd (or whatever it was - less than a ton anyway) - by far and away the best batting I've ever seen live.
That was when he got a thick edge to get off the mark iirc then Graeme Onions decided it would be a good idea to bounce him out, and he hit him about 15 rows back. It was a bit silly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was such a strange day. Australia swung England out for nothing, then England responded by bouncing the lacquer off the ball while getting smashed.

In other words it was exactly like every England home Ashes win since 2005 except with the teams swapped.
Had them four down at close IIRC and we thought Harmison had got Clarke but it had hit his arm guard. They just killed us the next day while I was dying on my couch and the Barnes era was starting disastrously in Yeovil

Terrible weekend of sport

trundler

2010 was a really fun Ashes because of just how good England were, instead of you know.. less bad coupled with the home advantage. It would be grossly misleading to call the Harris/Johnson epic a continuation of that but I don't recall much from the last 2, probably with good reason.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
2015 had its moments I suppose but was mainly five one-sided matches rather than the close contest a 3-2 scoreline might suggest

Burgey

Had them four down at close IIRC and we thought Harmison had got Clarke but it had hit his arm guard. They just killed us the next day while I was dying on my couch and the Barnes era was starting disastrously in Yeovil

Terrible weekend of sport

BARNES OUT!
z

Tom Flint

International Regular
Easily explained. They've fooled themselves into thinking cloud reliant medium pacers make great bowlers.
I still remember most Australians on these pages telling us how great jackson bird is and how he would be leading the attack for every other team bar South Africa. Still waiting for this to be proven

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just want to go on record, as I do most times the discussion of 09 comes up, that it's easy my favourite cricket series ever.

Quality of cricket it's nowhere near but a clash of circumstances mean I was able to submerge myself wholly in a way I've never been able to before or since. And in a fairly tricky time in life that little urn meant a little bit more to me than it probably should have. So if anyone ever wants to talk 09 Ashes just hit me up. I've even got a half written novel set during the series for ****s sake.

Burgey

Does the plot involve a Royal Commission into the Strauss cheating at Lord's set next to an underground cell of Tranmere supporters plotting the kidnapping and disposal of John Barnes?

trundler

I still remember most Australians on these pages telling us how great jackson bird is and how he would be leading the attack for every other team bar South Africa. Still waiting for this to be proven
Personally, drawing a comparison between Hilfenhaus and Anderson is my favourite Stephenism. Yours is a fine choice too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does the plot involve a Royal Commission into the Strauss cheating at Lord's set next to an underground cell of Tranmere supporters plotting the kidnapping and disposal of John Barnes?
No but it should. Let's get that made.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally, drawing a comparison between Hilfenhaus and Anderson is my favourite Stephenism. Yours is a fine choice too.
Tbf to him, Bird was greeting talked up around 8 years ago as potentially being the best Aussie quick of this generation. Not just by me, but by many on here.

Now Bird isn't that good but he's genuinely got the shaft being sent home while we play Siddle. He'd do Siddle's job while actually taking wickets.

Hilfenhaus was genuinely good for a while there. Anderson wouldn't have had a much better career for Australia were he born here. 135 kph swing bowlers don't get long international careers in Australia.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know he's feeling his way back and I rate him generally, but Pattinson didn't really pull up too many trees in the first test, did he?

Two wickets, Roy and Denly and, well, y'know, not exactly Hutton and Compton, are they?

Headingley is probably the track most likely to suit Siddle too.
Also hit Roots stumps but the bails didn't come off