• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I really hope that isn't a thing.

Reviews should be unlimited, ofc. But that still doesn't excuse Paine's decision to attempt that obviously stupid review while the game was still live.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Either way, the likelihood of DRS upholding or overturning a decision shouldn't come in to an umpire's thinking at all. Make your decision based on what you see and hear. Vaughan as usual is full of ****.
Yeah absolutely this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Does it? He's an unbelievable cricketer and clearly their talisman but not sure how it means he'd be a good captain.
Oh yeah but since Root pretty clearly isn't up to it, it's probably worth a try to see whether it would work or not. It'd certainly get the public onside, which is no small thing.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Players ought to refuse playing a game if it involves ********* umpires. Yeah, Wilson's got a family to feed, blah blah blah, but so do the players, come on now.

Can't help but feel Aus have missed several tricks not playing Starc on these dry pitches. You desperately need his reverse against the tail.

Burgey

What was the rationale behind taking away the re-setting of the reviews after 80 overs?

OverratedSanity

Yeah I really hope that isn't a thing.

Reviews should be unlimited, ofc. But that still doesn't excuse Paine's decision to attempt that obviously stupid review while the game was still live.
You'd get a review every over
What was the rationale behind taking away the re-setting of the reviews after 80 overs?
There should be a rating system for umpires to separate them into tiers of quality. A match involving A tier umpires like Taufel, the teams don't get any extra reviews. If it's shunts like Bucknor or Wilson or Koertzen, both teams get 5 reviews a day, etc.

Do it.

Burgey

Why did they need to compromise it at all? Seems an odd pairing of things to be thought of as requiring balancing against each other

OverratedSanity

That bring said, I think the DRS for that Stokes non lbw is very dodgy. The trajectory that it predicted for that delivery was very odd and I'm with tjb in that the contact with the front pad kind of ****ed up the calculations somehow. I certainly don't think it's as plumb as I thought it was initially since that's the natural reaction to seeing 3 reds. Probably one of the less bad decisions Wilson has made this series.

cnerd123

likes this
There should be a rating system for umpires to separate them into tiers of quality.
this, or something similar, already exists based on what I've been told. Then they pair up the 'good' umpires with newer ones to help train them up, and the poorer/newer ones tend to do lower profile series.

the neutral umpire requirements kind of screws over a series like the Ashes because the best umpires tend to come from Eng and Aus. Better structures in place to train and develop umps.