• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

burr

State Vice-Captain
Ouch. That was a choke. Brought about by stokes of course who scared the Aussies s***less (as he probably would anyone) but a choke none the less.

Australia really just never win the close ones, as Glenn Mcgrath said on tms

Spark

Global Moderator
Also geez that hour of piss with the new ball ended up being costly hey. Bowl like they did immediately after lunch straight away with the new ball, this probably wraps up before lunch.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I thought my heart was going to stop about 5 times in that last partnership.

Absolute unreal scenes. Just hoy the superlatives at that, there aren't enough.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the moment it happened, he was in a good position to get them home, and should have done so, but made a poor decision (played a shot he'd avoided the whole innings off Lyon) at it would have cost them the game. Is that really not a choke? Or do you have to have it handed to you and then you **** it up at the last minute having slowly let it slip away?
Bit different to Lyon forgetting how hands work though

burr

State Vice-Captain
Of course where it was really lost was not putting England to bed in innings three. 350 always gettable these days. Hard obviously, but gettable.

cnerd123

likes this
The field you set for Stokes, was 9 fielders in the ring saving the single. He probably hits one of the 2 balls for 4 but you get Leach facing the full over.
They really should have been doing that for the last half of each over, but i reckon Stokes in this form would have taken one boundary and then chipped it over the infield for an easy single

Spark

Global Moderator
Physically too, the seamers worked really hard over the two days and it wasn't cold
Oh yeah but it seemed pretty clear by the end that there was no real consistency in method to what they were doing, and no real plan other than hope that Stokes picked out a fielder.

The captain really has to do everything to slow the game down in those circumstances. It's the opposite of an ODI chase; time works for the fielding side in those circumstances IMO. The more you can draw it out, the more likely it becomes that the tension and pressure will force an error from the batsman or that you'll get enough balls at the #11 to get him out.

trundler

Yeah, the tactics were insipid. Gotta feel bad for the bowlers.

Realistically, you'd only expect Smith to come back from this. 05 v2.

cnerd123

likes this
Oh yeah but it seemed pretty clear by the end that there was no real consistency in method to what they were doing, and no real plan other than hope that Stokes picked out a fielder.

The captain really has to do everything to slow the game down in those circumstances. It's the opposite of an ODI chase; time works for the fielding side in those circumstances IMO. The more you can draw it out, the more likely it becomes that the tension and pressure will force an error from the batsman or that you'll get enough balls at the #11 to get him out.
Slow overrates tho

:ph34r:

trundler

To reiterate, this is ****ing crazy. What a game of test cricket. I was in a rickshaw home with 2% battery when that final 4 was hit. Could've been left stranded at 8 pm but it was worth it. ****ing INCREDIBLE.

vcs

Smith will come back and **** block the English with a couple more epic innings.

This Ashes is great. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Said it earlier today but got to think the slow batting from us yesterday really helped today. We basically played as though for a draw for long chunks and while it meant it took us a bloody long time to get the runs, we were facing very tired bowlers when it came to the crunch.

I think this match may have surpassed Edgbaston 05.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
They really should have been doing that for the last half of each over, but i reckon Stokes in this form would have taken one boundary and then chipped it over the infield for an easy single
Not sure Stokes was capable of that at all. It was either 6, 4, dot or risky single.

Who was it btw who thre the ball to Lyon for his fumble. It was definitely the right height for Lyon, but could have been closer to the stumps.

SillyCowCorner1

To reiterate, this is ****ing crazy. What a game of test cricket. I was in a rickshaw home with 2% battery when that final 4 was hit. Could've been left stranded at 8 pm but it was worth it. ****ing INCREDIBLE.
The miracle of Test Cricket saved you.

Test cricket is the best cricket