Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 14 of 272 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree1219Likes

Thread: 3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I might just be scarred from previous series but I always feel like Australia are more likely to collapse completely in England. They’re all crap in the same way- they can’t handle swing- whereas England’s batsmen are crap in many different ways.

International Coach SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    An Archer 8-30 coming up in the 3rd test
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

with smith out, golden opportunity for england to level the series...

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I just want to go on record, as I do most times the discussion of 09 comes up, that it's easy my favourite cricket series ever.

Quality of cricket it's nowhere near but a clash of circumstances mean I was able to submerge myself wholly in a way I've never been able to before or since. And in a fairly tricky time in life that little urn meant a little bit more to me than it probably should have. So if anyone ever wants to talk 09 Ashes just hit me up. I've even got a half written novel set during the series for ****s sake.
    It's up there for me too. Being at uni from 2008-2011, I naturally watched pretty much every ball of the 09 and 10/11 series. I remember being in a pub in mid Wales trying to explain what on earth was going on as Monty and Jimmy did what they did. Happy times.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    2015 had its moments I suppose but was mainly five one-sided matches rather than the close contest a 3-2 scoreline might suggest
    2013 is weirdly underrated. TB was a legit great Test Match, Durham would've been if it weren't a dead rubber. The Oval had it's moments too, if it was a bit artificial. Lords was entertaining too, was like watching us play a blind team at times.
    Last edited by hazsa19; 20-08-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hazsa19 View Post
    2013 is weirdly underrated. TB was a legit great Test Match, Durham would've been if it weren't a dead rubber. The Oval had it's moments too, if it was a bit artificial. Lords was entertaining too, was like watching us play a blind team at times.
    Maybe that's because it was so soon followed by the 2013/14 annihilation.
    If I was feeling pedantic I'd argue that Durham wasn't a dead rubber in terms of the series, even if it was in terms of the Ashes. To me, it didn't feel like a dead rubber at the time.
    But thinking about it, it didn't help that the ashes were decided by the 3rd test.

Agreed with you and GIMH about 2009 though. Loved that series for so many reasons.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    2009 didn’t really have any great games, but it was maybe the most evenly matched Ashes I’ve seen.

I kind of like it better in hindsight. Mitch Johnson’s career had one of the best narrative arcs in sporting history but at the time he was a huge disappointment. Likewise England just felt a bit jammy at the time but with hindsight it was the starting point for possibly their best ever team.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Barring bad weather, if England canít beat a Smith-less Australia at Headingley then they ought to be having some deep, deep soul searching.
    It strikes me as exceedingly presumptuous that youíre assuming Englandís batting is no better than on par with a Smith-less Australia. Because letís be honest, theyíre ****ing trash too.

For every over hyped and mythological Joss (Joss ffs) Buttler thereís a Travis Head; for every out of form Warner thereís a hapless water buffalo in Root. Stokes makes a ton in one test, as does Wade in another. Denly is terrible; I give you Khawaja away from home. You laugh at Bancroft, but Jason Roy ffs.

One of the things which I suppose helps make this series entertaining is even if england shoots Australia out for 120 in these conditions, they really havenít got the batting to make more than 200 max themselves on the same deck.
    JBMAC likes this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...d5f68c446e2464

Extra! Extra! Aussie legend rips into English captain!
    cricket rules brah

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    The words 'star' and also 'legend' really are shown around way too much, at least in Australian cricket media. Bancroft gets referred to as a 'star' in articles pointing out his rubbishness and Bichel is now a 'star' even though I doubt most casual fans could name him. I think I saw Geoff Lawson referred to as a 'legend' sometime recently. He's one of my favourite bowlers but let's not overreach ourselves.
    The truth, I think, is this: that since the triumph of what was called rationalism, we have successfully cultivated everything except reason - G.K. Chesterton

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'you are mad, you are not like us' - St. Anthony

The most contentious part of that article is labeling Bichel a "legend."

But what he says is right. Blatant cheating by a desperate, out of form captain.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke
    #FreeShri
    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

Bruce McAvaney and other AFL commentators have a lot to answer for as they declare any player who has half a good season to be a superstar and it’s flowed onto other sports

International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...d5f68c446e2464

Extra! Extra! Aussie legend rips into English captain!
    He's right. Root is a cheat. Ball clearly bounced. Its all adding with Root. He tattled on Gabriel and lied about catching Marnus. The guys a wimpy little dobber and dirty little cheat.
    JBMAC, Daemon and mr_mister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Bruce McAvaney and other AFL commentators have a lot to answer for as they declare any player who has half a good season to be a superstar and it’s flowed onto other sports
    Genuinely the worst thing about watching AFL on tv

International Debutant
    Has Pattinson leapfrogged Starc by so much that Starc isn't even in the running anymore? Pattinson was no more than serviceable in the first Test. Aus missing a trick by not playing Starc, considering all of England's runs are coming in the middle-lower order against an older ball.

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    On replay, that catch looked dodgy as hell. But you have a man diving forwards to catch a ball that is obscured by his hands and goes into them cleanly after a bounce. In live action Root likely was not aware. It is the TV replay that makes it all so clear. Being such a critical moment, I can overlook the English players let the 3rd umpire get it wrong. Everyone does that in sport. You justify your luck by remembering unlucky moments. England missed a chance for some goodwill but that is clearly not cheating and people should be focussing on the pathetic call by 3rd ump rather than root.
    Adders and vogue like this.

Thread Information