• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Compton

International Debutant
Pope probably chosen as the alternate on the basis of having just scored a double-ton, rather than any forward planning.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pope probably chosen as the alternate on the basis of having just scored a double-ton, rather than any forward planning.
I was saying elsewhere that the longer term picture is that he's carried on where he left off before his injury; averaged 70+ in the CC last season and scored 250 in his only FC game (against the MCC) this year. Plus he appears to be in prime form if he does need to play.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Pope was unoffically on standby to be the middle order concussion replacement during the Lord's test so he has been in the selectors minds from before latest double century. Sibley was going to be the substitute for a top order player.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It's pretty comical, and also kind of sad, to see how many people act as if Root's catch was obviously grassed and how can anyone think otherwise. Obviously you have the whole ironically bagging an opposition player even if you don't really believe it yourself thing going on too, which colours it a little. It's still lame though.

Poor Joel, actually gets a decision right, does it by the book, how he's supposed to, and still cops flak for it. Guy can't win.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pope seemed like a decent bat when I last saw him, definitely worth persisting over some of the more middling options.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think it's what you meant, but comments to the effect of commentator x can't talk because they failed against whoever/struggled against spin or whatever, when meant as serious rebuttals, really annoy me
Yeah, Athers is my favourite commentator and player(see my display pic). I just found it amusing because he had an extremely similar history to Warner, right down to a new ball bowler having his number. Except over more than 2 tests. irony or whatever

Last edited:

Burgey

It's pretty comical, and also kind of sad, to see how many people act as if Root's catch was obviously grassed and how can anyone think otherwise. Obviously you have the whole ironically bagging an opposition player even if you don't really believe it yourself thing going on too, which colours it a little. It's still lame though.

Poor Joel, actually gets a decision right, does it by the book, how he's supposed to, and still cops flak for it. Guy can't win.

flibbertyjibber

It’s understandable the English press is hot on the attack here, what with being 2-0 up and having won both tests by an innings after posting 550 in both first digs. With their own batting line up firing on all cylinders, it’s only fair they offer these comments.

On a serious note, every time someone gets sconed the questions are asked about whether they will come back the same player. I’m confident in saying the very vast majority of them do, and so will TPC notwithstanding Hussain, Atherton and of course flibbertyjibber’s wishes that his career gets ruined to the contrary.
**** off cretin. I wanted him to fail miserably as he is a cheat. I don't wish ill on him for being smacked on the neck. It is a fact though that he may struggle after a blow like that you may not like that but it is true.

Burgey

Yeah and if I walked out at three tonight I might make a run a ball 80 odd, but the likelihood of that happening is minimal*, isn't it?

Nah, the hope which shone through in your posting on the issue is lamentable.

*they didn't pick me, otherwise it would certainly happen.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah and if I walked out at three tonight I might make a run a ball 80 odd, but the likelihood of that happening is minimal*, isn't it?

Nah, the hope which shone through in your posting on the issue is lamentable.

*they didn't pick me, otherwise it would certainly happen.
Whatever dickhead. You have no idea what I meant and as usual are ****stirring as much as you can you arrogant prick.

trundler

It's amazing when 2 terrible posters collide and both are spot on about the other whilst still being terrible. Carry on.

Burgey

It's amazing when 2 terrible posters collide and both are spot on about the other whilst still being terrible. Carry on.
It's good you have the self-awareness to realize fj was right about you.

It's disappointing it's taken this long though, when we've all been saying the same things for ages.