• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
2009 didn’t really have any great games, but it was maybe the most evenly matched Ashes I’ve seen.

I kind of like it better in hindsight. Mitch Johnson’s career had one of the best narrative arcs in sporting history but at the time he was a huge disappointment. Likewise England just felt a bit jammy at the time but with hindsight it was the starting point for possibly their best ever team.
It helps when the series is decided in the final match. From an English pov, the back ground to the 2009 series was important. We'd just lost in the WI, being dismissed for 51 in the decisive test. Aus had just won in SA with their new players looking terrific. The previous series had been the first whitewash since the 1920s (obviously we've got used to it subsequently). At the time, it felt to some folks a bit like the White Album coming after Sgt Pepper. How on earth do you follow the 2005 series? With time you recognise that it's also great. Maybe I'd quibble about it being more evenly matched than 2005, given the margins of victory at Edgbaston and Trent bridge in the earlier series.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt anyone in the England set up is bothered by a tired old pro courting controversy to keep his name active. I’m not familiar with Bichel’s media presence in general, but he needs to be careful to avoid morphing into Bob Willis.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It helps when the series is decided in the final match. From an English pov, the back ground to the 2009 series was important. We'd just lost in the WI, being dismissed for 51 in the decisive test. Aus had just won in SA with their new players looking terrific. The previous series had been the first whitewash since the 1920s (obviously we've got used to it subsequently). At the time, it felt to some folks a bit like the White Album coming after Sgt Pepper. How on earth do you follow the 2005 series? With time you recognise that it's also great. Maybe I'd quibble about it being more evenly matched than 2005, given the margins of victory at Edgbaston and Trent bridge in the earlier series.
White Album is their best work imo

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's fair enough. Might just be me but I genuinely don't know who the better team was in 2009. It was a Monty Panesar wicket away from a drawn series that I think would have been fair. Whereas I don't think anyone could deny that England played the better cricket in 2005.

Burgey

It’s understandable the English press is hot on the attack here, what with being 2-0 up and having won both tests by an innings after posting 550 in both first digs. With their own batting line up firing on all cylinders, it’s only fair they offer these comments.

On a serious note, every time someone gets sconed the questions are asked about whether they will come back the same player. I’m confident in saying the very vast majority of them do, and so will TPC notwithstanding Hussain, Atherton and of course flibbertyjibber’s wishes that his career gets ruined to the contrary.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loved Athers comments on Warner:

So far, Warner has been anonymous. England's new-ball bowlers have had his number

He'd know a bit about going missing in ashes matches

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As boring as he his Athers will usually prefix his comments with "I've been there myself and know what it's like" if it fits. He referenced his working over by Donald when talking about Smith.

Bijed

International Regular
2009 didn’t really have any great games, but it was maybe the most evenly matched Ashes I’ve seen.
I couldn't honestly argue it as a truly 'great' test match in any way, but the Oval match is one of my all time favourites. Still love Broad's spell on the second day. Also the first time I saw us 'properly win' the ashes, insofar as I'd seen 2005 five, but the actual series victory came about in a slightly meh way with the umpires faffing around before declaring the test drawn and giving us the series. Taking that last wicket in 09 was such a sweet moment

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Loved Athers comments on Warner:

So far, Warner has been anonymous. England's new-ball bowlers have had his number

He'd know a bit about going missing in ashes matches
I don't think it's what you meant, but comments to the effect of commentator x can't talk because they failed against whoever/struggled against spin or whatever, when meant as serious rebuttals, really annoy me

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
2005 was the best because it had been such a long time. The atmosphere at the end was amazing even though it was signalled by a self publicist umpire knocking a bail off. I never thought we were the better side in either series.

trundler

I don't think it's what you meant, but comments to the effect of commentator x can't talk because they failed against whoever/struggled against spin or whatever, when meant as serious rebuttals, really annoy me
Yeah, especially considering it makes all our opinions meaningless.

vcs

This series has been very good so far. The Archer to Smith passage of play alone elevates it significantly. The last day at Lord's was also excellent, as was the Smith fightback with the tail on day 1 at Edgbaston. Personally, I've enjoyed it more than any other Ashes since 2005.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
I highly doubt root was “blatantly cheating”. No it didn’t carry and no it shouldn’t have been given out, it’s the umpires fault really. He probably didn’t know at the time. Blatantly cheating would be bringing sandpaper on to the field, sanding the ball and then lying to the umpires.

morgieb

Yeah that's fair enough. Might just be me but I genuinely don't know who the better team was in 2009. It was a Monty Panesar wicket away from a drawn series that I think would have been fair. Whereas I don't think anyone could deny that England played the better cricket in 2005.
Yeah this is true. Was basically the case where England dominated two Tests, Australia dominated two Tests (but were denied at Cardiff by Panesar/Anderson and the rain) and Edgbaston was a write-off but evenly matched when it wasn't raining in 09. 05 had Australia dominate one Test, England dominate one Test (where Ponting and rain deined them), England have the better of two nailbiters and probably ahead at The Oval (although I have no idea what would've happened there if [hypothetically] players knew that two more days were played to make up for the rain)

Uppercut

This series has been very good so far. The Archer to Smith passage of play alone elevates it significantly. The last day at Lord's was also excellent, as was the Smith fightback with the tail on day 1 at Edgbaston. Personally, I've enjoyed it more than any other Ashes since 2005.
Yeah I agree. Most recent Ashes games before this series have been decided within the first couple of days. Agree that Archer to Smith was just special too.