• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2009 didn’t really have any great games, but it was maybe the most evenly matched Ashes I’ve seen.

I kind of like it better in hindsight. Mitch Johnson’s career had one of the best narrative arcs in sporting history but at the time he was a huge disappointment. Likewise England just felt a bit jammy at the time but with hindsight it was the starting point for possibly their best ever team.

Burgey

Barring bad weather, if England can’t beat a Smith-less Australia at Headingley then they ought to be having some deep, deep soul searching.
It strikes me as exceedingly presumptuous that you’re assuming England’s batting is no better than on par with a Smith-less Australia. Because let’s be honest, they’re ****ing trash too.

For every over hyped and mythological Joss (Joss ffs) Buttler there’s a Travis Head; for every out of form Warner there’s a hapless water buffalo in Root. Stokes makes a ton in one test, as does Wade in another. Denly is terrible; I give you Khawaja away from home. You laugh at Bancroft, but Jason Roy ffs.

One of the things which I suppose helps make this series entertaining is even if england shoots Australia out for 120 in these conditions, they really haven’t got the batting to make more than 200 max themselves on the same deck.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The words 'star' and also 'legend' really are shown around way too much, at least in Australian cricket media. Bancroft gets referred to as a 'star' in articles pointing out his rubbishness and Bichel is now a 'star' even though I doubt most casual fans could name him. I think I saw Geoff Lawson referred to as a 'legend' sometime recently. He's one of my favourite bowlers but let's not overreach ourselves.

Burgey

The most contentious part of that article is labeling Bichel a "legend."

But what he says is right. Blatant cheating by a desperate, out of form captain.

social

Bruce McAvaney and other AFL commentators have a lot to answer for as they declare any player who has half a good season to be a superstar and it’s flowed onto other sports

Burgey

Bruce McAvaney and other AFL commentators have a lot to answer for as they declare any player who has half a good season to be a superstar and it’s flowed onto other sports
Genuinely the worst thing about watching AFL on tv

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Has Pattinson leapfrogged Starc by so much that Starc isn't even in the running anymore? Pattinson was no more than serviceable in the first Test. Aus missing a trick by not playing Starc, considering all of England's runs are coming in the middle-lower order against an older ball.

Victor Ian

International Coach
On replay, that catch looked dodgy as hell. But you have a man diving forwards to catch a ball that is obscured by his hands and goes into them cleanly after a bounce. In live action Root likely was not aware. It is the TV replay that makes it all so clear. Being such a critical moment, I can overlook the English players let the 3rd umpire get it wrong. Everyone does that in sport. You justify your luck by remembering unlucky moments. England missed a chance for some goodwill but that is clearly not cheating and people should be focussing on the pathetic call by 3rd ump rather than root.

TheJediBrah

2013 is weirdly underrated. TB was a legit great Test Match, Durham would've been if it weren't a dead rubber. The Oval had it's moments too, if it was a bit artificial. Lords was entertaining too, was like watching us play a blind team at times.
2013 was actually a very close series, the series scoreline is misleading. The 2 draws had Aus on top and likely would have won 1 or 2 of them if not for rain (I think). First test obviously was a thriller. There was the 1 game (2nd test I think) that was an annihilation though.

He's right. Root is a cheat. Ball clearly bounced. Its all adding with Root. He tattled on Gabriel and lied about catching Marnus. The guys a wimpy little dobber and dirty little cheat.
not denying that Root is a little ****, but he probably didn't know for sure that the ball bounced. He may have had a feeling but you don't always know, and it's fair enough to leave it to the umps to decide. It's not his fault that Jo-el Wilson is at best completely incompetent.

Last edited:

mr_mister

He's right. Root is a cheat. Ball clearly bounced. Its all adding with Root. He tattled on Gabriel and lied about catching Marnus. The guys a wimpy little dobber and dirty little cheat.
Him, the Currans and Broad all give off massive rich boy Draco Malfoy vibes to me

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
not denying that Root is a little ****, but he probably didn't know for sure that the ball bounced. He may have had a feeling but you don't always know, and it's fair enough to leave it to the umps to decide. It's not his fault that Jo-el Wilson is at best completely incompetent.
He seemed pretty sure when he raised his finger at that the ump. Root is a self-righteous cheat.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Has Pattinson leapfrogged Starc by so much that Starc isn't even in the running anymore? Pattinson was no more than serviceable in the first Test. Aus missing a trick by not playing Starc, considering all of England's runs are coming in the middle-lower order against an older ball.
The trouble with Starc is when he is not at his very best he is a liability. He gives away far too many runs and the risk is he would give Roy, Root and Denly runs and that might lead to them making a good score. Stokes would love to face him as well with the form he showed in the second test. Pattinson can also give away too many runs but I feel is simply a better bowler. I agree two wickets was not a good enough return but he deserves another chance in my view.

OverratedSanity

Pattinson was really good. Easily could've got a few more wickets by bowling exactly the same (or worse) in another test and statistically it would've looked way better.