• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why?

Whats the point of even winning over there when the best isn't playing. Its like India winning that series in Estraya. Good achievement but pointless
Nah England's crippled 37 year old senior bowler being out perpetually injured isn't the same as having your only 2 Test class batsmen, in the prime of their career, out because of stupidity/politics

the big bambino

International Captain
Why?

Whats the point of even winning over there when the best isn't playing. Its like India winning that series in Estraya. Good achievement but pointless
No one downplays Smith’s tons or our win in the first test because Anderson went down. Injuries and non availability generally are a part of sports. India won here fair and square no qualifications. So I’ll look for any advantage to get us over the line. It’s hard winning away and if we can get a lead before England can get their **** together then take it. I suppose I shouldn’t have said glad but I’m grateful we will be facing Archer with Broad as support as opposed to both he and Anderson.

TheJediBrah

I don't think England can claim to be unlucky by Anderson getting hurt tbh (not that they are). When you play a 37 year old with recent injury problems, because he's that a good a player, it's a risk you take.

Same if it happened to Pattinson. You know the guy's history, if you take the risk it's on you.

Uppercut

I think people are overreacting the the Edgbaston result. 370 or so in the first innings probably wins the match if Anderson doesn't go down injured. The two teams are pretty evenly matched in these conditions and I'm still expecting a tight series.

Flem274*

123/5
i dont think england should be promoting stokes to 4 or anything silly like that. they have to play to their strengths.

woakes, broad, archer, leach, stokes is a good attack in english conditions and even has the bonus of broad batting at 11. pick 5 batsmen and a keeper and just get it done. root, stokes and even bairstow have all done it before and if rory fricken burns can score runs against australia then the other ****s can. joe denly looks like a bloke who isn't quite test standard but can pull a few test standard knocks out his arse, likewise jason roy.

vcs

The capitulation on the last day was concerning and makes me think that England are quite toss-reliant and struggle when they aren't defending a 4th innings total.

Not bitter at all about India losing 5/5 tosses last year, honest. :ph34r:

Burgey

I think people are overreacting the the Edgbaston result. 370 or so in the first innings probably wins the match if Anderson doesn't go down injured. The two teams are pretty evenly matched in these conditions and I'm still expecting a tight series.
They really aren’t though.

Burgey

So apparently a 100% chance of rain for day one. Only thing going to stop a clean sweep here.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
That forecast for the entire Test is deeply grim other than Day 2.
Best thing for the series if Lords is washed out tbh. It's Lords.......Eng will lose.

Going to Headingley 2-0 and the series is over.......at least if it's 1-0 it's still up for grabs.

TheJediBrah

Take out Smith and the teams are pretty evenly matched

the big bambino

International Captain
If it's properly flat, that is bad news for Siddle. A little more pace is what would be required in that scenario.
There is a bloke, me I think, who said if you have Haze and Starc you never pick Siddle. Ok - time for a back track. Edgbaston was pretty flat and Siddle bowled dry overs there. Also if its rainy then the chances of Siddle getting reamed over the 5 days are remote. His consistency should hold up against all the anticipated interruptions. If the weather is consigning the game to a draw then I'd rather risk Siddle's health playing it than either Starc or Haze.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So Archer hasn't played a FC game in nearly a year. Should be interesting to see how white ball cricket prepares him for a Test debut.

Then again, Smith hadn't played a FC game in over a year before the last test...but at least he was proven at test level before that.