• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There really hasn't been a huge amount of consistent movement, and yet we're 4 down.
It's fair enough if you're not missing many then suddenly nick one, but if it's hitting the stumps and you don't get anything on it then you're out. You only get to make that mistake once.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The actual scientific evidence on the relation between clouds, lights and swing is very far from certain.
What about humidity? I find a lot of cloudy days in England are too cold for the ball to really swing. Warm day after overnight rain or whatever and it really hoops.

Spark

Global Moderator
What about humidity? I find a lot of cloudy days in England are too cold for the ball to really swing. Warm day after overnight rain or whatever and it really hoops.
It likely doesn't help that the pitch is so dry. Microclimate definitely has a little to do with it.

Burgey

Depends on if they get Smith out....or when the rain hits. Our 6-11 looks really unconvincing in this case.

Frustratingly I think we've played the better cricket, but have blown it by the decision to bowl when the skies were clear.
Nah we haven’t blown it at all with that decision. Seriously - 260 AO day two and 1/30 in reply of a four day test is fine. As much as it’s a semi-regular occurrence, you can’t assume you’re going to collapse all the time

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England have bowled very well since about 8:30 tonight.

Head was always going to be found out in swinging conditions. I have absolutely no faith that he has the footwork to survive the swinging ball.

Watching Smith leave is so entertaining.

Starfighter

There's some theories, and possibly a combination of factors may be at play, but there's actually no confirmed mechanism to make the ball swing more when it's cloudy, cool, humid, under lights, whatever, at least in any of the papers I've read. It's one of cricket's semi-mysteries. And the idea that it will seam more when cloudy or under lights is obviously silly.

morgieb

Has Paine hilariously outdone Root's terrible captaincy?
It feels like a **** era for captaincy IMO. Obviously it's difficult to truly know what makes a great captain but I feel like only Faf and maybe Kohli seem above average to me. And the latter has just as much (if not more) down to galvanisation and leading from the front rather than good tactics.

Spark

Global Moderator
England have bowled very well since about 8:30 tonight.

Head was always going to be found out in swinging conditions. I have absolutely no faith that he has the footwork to survive the swinging ball.

Watching Smith leave is so entertaining.
It's not swinging at all, that's the thing. All the movement is off the pitch.

flibbertyjibber

It feels like a **** era for captaincy IMO. Obviously it's difficult to truly know what makes a great captain but I feel like only Faf and maybe Kohli seem above average to me. And the latter has just as much (if not more) down to galvanisation and leading from the front rather than good tactics.
Yeah, lots of them are doing the play by numbers craptaincy book and look ordinary.

stephen

Paine's long periods without cricket probably mean he's not as experienced as his age would suggest. Certainly he's not been to England much.