• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Omg it wasn't even FC? I thought it was division 2 county

What international player wouldn't run through a side full of teenagers

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It boosts his chances of playing in the Ashes because it means he has a level of fitness. They'll decide based on any reaction if he can be risked in a Test Match. They're not implying a major boost to his ego that will have the Australians trembling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Omg it wasn't even FC? I thought it was division 2 county

What international player wouldn't run through a side full of teenagers
Sussex's next CC game doesn't start until 18th August. It was 2nd XI or the Vitality Blast (or whatever the feck our domestic T20 comp calls itself now) as options to prove his fitness and, I suppose, bowling a lengthy-ish spell in the stiffs is a better test of his fitness than 4 overs in the ****s and giggles.

Victor Ian

International Coach
We're those 4 overs likely the last ever that I'll see Jimmy bowl? Maybe he gets back before the 5th test but Im not sure. Will England risk it again? I'd imagine not, unless the series is done and dusted.
Is this the end? Have we unknowingly witnessed the end of the 2 best swing merchants of this era, instead of 1?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We're those 4 overs likely the last ever that I'll see Jimmy bowl? Maybe he gets back before the 5th test but Im not sure. Will England risk it again? I'd imagine not, unless the series is done and dusted.
Is this the end? Have we unknowingly witnessed the end of the 2 best swing merchants of this era, instead of 1?

Maybe not, gven that alternatives are dropping like flies …
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/07/england-olly-stone-miss-second-ashes-test-australia

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Mo is deffo gone (for his own good as much as anything; looks completely in bits) and hopefully Denly has had enough of a trot to prove he's not quite made of the right stuff.

Leach for Mo is easy, but if Denly does get the arse it does open up quite a few possibilities. Sibley in to open with Roy to #4, Malan, Hain, Northeast, Vince or (more fancifully) Hildreth as a straight swap, or (if the selectors wanna bring the funk) a promotion for Woakes with Curran coming in at 8.
Chris Stocks in the "i" seems to think this is a live chance.

Chris Stocks said:
One option England will explore will be dropping Denly, who batted at four in Birmingham, and moving Ben Stokes up to that position from No 6. Jonny Bairstow, the wicketkeeper, could potentially move up one place to six but Woakes, who hit 74 runs across two innings in the first Test from No 9 and now averages 30, could be promoted ahead of him to ease the workload on a player whose best form in Test cricket has come at seven.

It would be a bold move but one that would allow England to pick another bowler in Sam Curran, who also impressed with the bat in his maiden series against India last summer.

Curran’s left-arm seam, allied to Archer’s pace and Leach’s left-arm spin would give England’s attack the variation Smith so desires.

Last edited:

Boncicle

Cricket Spectator
So while Australia are playing a 4 day game at Worcester in preparation for Lord's....where are the England team/potential team honing their red ball cricket in preparation?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you even watch the highlights? Most wickets were caught behind driving and at least one bowled.
Brief ones. The ball that plucked one guy's off stump out was particularly nice.

I actually change my mind on this. I guess they couldn't facilitate him to play any other game and T20 for Sussex wasn't going to cut it, nor was an open wicket or nets. Poor young bastards that had to face up to him. Multiple news report (yes I did say they're useless) did say he bowled a lot of short stuff and I hope that wasn't the case.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a bit rough to play a 150kph merchant against a bunch of amateur teenagers.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How newspapers are dumb enough to suggest taking 6-for and scoring 100 in a 2nd XI game boosts his Ashes chances, certainly confirms we shouldn't read them in the first place.

And I dunno if I'm being soft but rocking up bowling - apparently a **** load of - short stuff to teenaged 2nd XI batsmen seems pretty off.
I feel a bit better now knowing it was a 2nd Xi game against kids lol. I was thinking this bloke came in and made a ton and 6-for in a County game against FC pros.

Did you even watch the highlights? Most wickets were caught behind driving and at least one bowled.
You understand bowling short isn't just a tactic to get wickets with short balls right?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel a bit better now knowing it was a 2nd Xi game against kids lol. I was thinking this bloke came in and made a ton and 6-for in a County game against FC pros.
And you'll feel even better if it's true he took 1-78 in the second dig?

One of the teenage batsmen was named Milo. I don't know if being called Milo predetermines you to be less equipped against fast bowling, but I imagine it can't help.