• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Tom Flint

International Regular
When the ball is already in the keepers gloves and he's there pirouetting or swinging his bat around in the bowlers direction, that is a premeditated act done to get under the bowlers skin. It worked as archer then came onto bowl probably the fastest spell of his life.
Nothing against the usual mannerisms and fidgettingg that Smith has always done but this was different and I think archer knew it too

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, no. If that was the intent and result then why did Archer spend the whole morning when Smith was doing the same thing bowling 138 km/h without any apparent intent to make the batsman play?

Compton

International Debutant
When the ball is already in the keepers gloves and he's there pirouetting or swinging his bat around in the bowlers direction, that is a premeditated act done to get under the bowlers skin. It worked as archer then came onto bowl probably the fastest spell of his life.
Nothing against the usual mannerisms and fidgettingg that Smith has always done but this was different and I think archer knew it too
Urgh this is just nonsense.

It’s the equivalent of people that think all tennis players that grunt a half-second after playing the ball are doing it intentionally, or thinking that sprinters should stop a meter after the finish-line.

Once that energy/momentum has been built up, it has to go somewhere. He’s premeditated what his stance will look like post-leave, but you’d be giving his reaction time an incredible amount of credit if you think the whole thing is an act.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As Burgey once memorably noted, if Smith isn't on the spectrum he can see it from where he's standing.

Kid's neurones don't fire in the usual way.

WRT to him getting sconed, Nass made an interesting point. He was talking about Burns but it equally applies to Smith; as their techniques both end up with them very front on it makes it harder for them to bob or sway out of the way of the short pitched stuff.

So there's the weakness we've been after. The bowler just needs to be able to bowl 92mph thunderbolts that climb from a good length. Piece of piss.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As Burgey once memorably noted, if Smith isn't on the spectrum he can see it from where he's standing.

WRT to him getting sconed, Nass made an interesting point. He was talking about Burns but it equally applies to Smith; as their techniques both end up with them very front on it makes it harder for them to bob or sway out of the way of the short pitched stuff.

So there's the weakness we've been after. The bowler just needs to be able to bowl 92mph thunderbolts that climb from a good length. Piece of piss.
Don't forget that the pitch needs uneven bounce.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Why can't the light saber just be a way of shaking out the tension in his arms before getting ready for the next shot? Pretty players play imaginary shots facing the bowler after they missed one. Smith plays ungainly shots instead.
Other players leave their bats in range of the ball when they are leaving a shot. Smith swings his arms and bat well out of the way. He is probably practising that.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might not need it in future if the batsman has it in his mind now about being hit. This was a brutal knock so no way of knowing if it leaves a mental mark even in the short term.
I don't think "mental mark" is even an option with Smith. He came back after being unfairly banned for a year, labelled a cheat, booed constantly during the game and still made twin 100s in (mostly) testing conditions. I don't think anything can get to him mentally.

Burgey

FJ's just hoping he's scarred, as though he hasn't been hit by a quick before, or faced bowling as fast or faster than what Archer dished up. Anyway, when he comes back, Archer will bounce him and we'll see.

trundler

I don't think "mental mark" is even an option with Smith. He came back after being unfairly banned for a year, labelled a cheat, booed constantly during the game and still made twin 100s in (mostly) testing conditions. I don't think anything can get to him mentally.
You're not wrong but Smith was pretty much mentally drained after the last Ashes. Looked like it in the SA series. So yeah, he is human.

Burgey

That period of time is the primary reason I think he’ll be better than before without the captaincy. No mental energy going into anything other than batting

Gob

International Coach

So there's the weakness we've been after. The bowler just needs to be able to bowl 92mph thunderbolts that climb from a good length. Piece of piss
i need to see it happening a few more times to write something in to it other than dismissing it as one off incident tbh. He plays the pull as well as anyone and has never remotely being a weakness

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

You're not wrong but Smith was pretty much mentally drained after the last Ashes. Looked like it in the SA series. So yeah, he is human.
That's true, but the past shows us that the only thing that really negatively affects his batting is being exhausted from making too many ****ing runs

i need to see it happening a few more times to write something in to it other than dismissing it as one off incident tbh. He plays the pull as well as anyone and has never remotely being a weakness
It's also completely ignoring that a big reason he was sconned at all was the hit on the arm messing with him, which can almost happen to anyone and it just depends where it hits you.

Last edited:

trundler

Well at least Archer presents a challenge. He must be tired of bludgeoning mediocre medium pacers. Anyone writing him off against express pace is just indulging in wishful thinking.