• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Anderson was okay last time. Certainly not amazing by any stretch and maybe not even that good, but workmanlike and stuck to his task well. Just lacked any sort of actual penetration consistently.
Yeah, he did about as well as you can expect from his type of bowling in those conditions with little support from the other end.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You can start at 10:30am in June and July and if it’s a reasonable summer day it makes no difference. But once you get into August the early starts are a greater problem in terms of advantage of ball over bat. The authorities need to get their prayer mats out in terms of weather conditions for Old Trafford in September.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Smith hadn't been dumb as a bag of sticks then he would have taken 12 wickets at 35.83 for the series. Generally not a fan of arbitrarily excluding certain innings but even less of a fan of not enforcing the follow on when you have got such friendly bowling conditions
Not enforcing the follow on was correct and entirely vindicated by the fact that England were never going to chase down that score, which was close to the bare minimum that they would need to have chased in any case

TheJediBrah

Yeah, he did about as well as you can expect from his type of bowling in those conditions with little support from the other end.
bit of a cop out that as the whole point of this discussion about him was how good he was even in foreign conditions, both that and using his type of bowling as an excuse.

Like saying David Warner is a great overseas batsman except in Asia or England bat that doesn't count because those conditions (not fast bouncy roads) don't suit his type of batting

(I realise I'm putting words in your mouth a bit)

Daemon

bit of a cop out that as the whole point of this discussion about him was how good he was even in foreign conditions, both that and using his type of bowling as an excuse.

Like saying David Warner is a great overseas batsman except in Asia or England bat that doesn't count because those conditions (not fast bouncy roads) don't suit his type of batting

(I realise I'm putting words in your mouth a bit)
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending Anderson or whoever made the statement that he was great in that series. He was merely ok but good to very good for his usual standards in those conditions.

He’s certainly very condition reliant. He’s had a long long career and only one Ashes and UAE to show that he can bowl well in unfavourable conditions.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He’s certainly very condition reliant. He’s had a long long career and only one Ashes and UAE to show that he can bowl well in unfavourable conditions.
Have you wiped India 2012 from your memory mate????

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean he's bowled well plenty of times in unfavourable conditions, in fact it's hard to think of too many series in the last ten years where he's bowled legitimately badly. What he often hasn't done - and the actual knock on him overseas - is translate "bowling well" into actually taking wickets at a consistent rate.

Now, does this actually matter that much? Well, no, in my opinion, not really.

trundler

That's just generously saying he's bowled like vegan stage Siddle. He's limited to keeping the runs down.

Uppercut

Dew in the morning, so can’t really start much earlier - though we used to start at 10.30 routinely when on C4 so since then I’ve never found this to be a fully satisfactory answer. But that is the reason.. Always better to go longer into the evening here as Cribbage says.
Yeah I’ve never found that explanation satisfying either. They could just let the umpires check for dew before starting. It’s not like it’s there every single day and I’d have said it’s usually long gone by 10.30.

flibbertyjibber

Interesting how everyone has said bat first and both captains go the other way. Soon find out who made the right choice.

Uppercut

Interesting how everyone has said bat first and both captains go the other way. Soon find out who made the right choice.
I thought it was bat-first all day given the forecast. Maybe they're thinking if the team batting first gets on top it'll be harder for them to force a result given the time lost.

TheJediBrah

I would always bat first on a flat pitch, unless you desperately need to force a result (which I don't think Aus do). The summer's series against India showed the importance of batting first on a flat pitch, keeping the opposition in the field for 2 days and then they're ****ed by the time they need to bat and they collapse.