• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Big difference playing five tests and three though isn't there?

Anderson flew home and back in a week before the Perth Test, also went into the series with a rib injury. Tremlett got to bowl to a batting line-up that was already on the backfoot, largely thanks to Anderson.

Not to take away, Tremlett was immense and I said at the time. But Anderson's bowling was the key to our success that series, well that and Cook.

I won't comment on where it sits against other bowling performances across all-time, but context is important, and Anderson spearheaded us to a first away victory in the Ashes for 25 years. Given the original cost from Burgey said Anderson had never done anything in Australia, it doesn't really matter whether you think it a great performance, or a good one, it's clearly not nothing. But Tremelett's stats, IMHO, don't happen without Anderson and that's why it's Jimmy who rightly gets the main plaudits.

Big up to Tim Bresnan too, though.
Brisbane and Adelaide were definitely more batter friendly conditions overall than the last three tests too. The fact Broad averaged 80 or whatever in those two tests wasn't only down to him not bowling as well as Tremlett and Bresnan. Obviously everyone remembers first morning at Adelaide but Jimmy also bowled a fantastic spell at Hussey on day 3 at Brisbane and was very unlucky not to get more reward in that innings. It wasn't really a surprise to anyone that wickets came later in the series for him after that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very evenly poised after day one. Could go either way. First session tonight obviously vital etc etc

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can we play until 7pm every day? Or because it was the first day washed out does it just operate as a four day Test now?

And am I right in thinking the follow on mark will be 150 not 200?

Flem274*

123/5
at the time i remember we were all praising anderson for leading the charge in aus

he's a very steady 3fer and 4fer banker in unfavourable conditions. he handles the transition between countries around the globe far better than highly rated attacks from australia have this decade.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Best thing about this show is all the blokes who are completely maggotted, and the Kiwi cops come along, work out where they’re from and GIVE THEM A LIFT HOME TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFELY TUCKED UP IN BED!!!!!! This is the best thing ever.

In Australia, the cops come across a pissed bloke, antagonise him, belt him up and charge him with the Holy Trinity*

*91JMay LJ to confirm whether this is actually true or not.
wait lol you get our police shows?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And tbf, most of your drunken louts are over here in Bondi, so it’s almost like an instructional video

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can we play until 7pm every day? Or because it was the first day washed out does it just operate as a four day Test now?

And am I right in thinking the follow on mark will be 150 not 200?
Yeah. I think they're playing under the full four day playing conditions, which means the joy of trying to fit 98 overs in a day.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yep, and minimum 98 overs per day. how come they don’t start days early in england but instead rely on finishing later?
It's light there for a long time at night in summer.

In theory that should just make them able to start early and finish late, but I guess they don't want 115 over days.

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought Anderson was okay last time. Certainly not amazing by any stretch and maybe not even that good, but workmanlike and stuck to his task well. Just lacked any sort of actual penetration consistently.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If Smith hadn't been dumb as a bag of sticks then he would have taken 12 wickets at 35.83 for the series. Generally not a fan of arbitrarily excluding certain innings but even less of a fan of not enforcing the follow on when you have got such friendly bowling conditions

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who's ashes double ton was more random and unexpected?

Hussains in '97 or Collingwood's in '06. Both of them did little in ashes contests outside of those series

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
yep, and minimum 98 overs per day. how come they don’t start days early in england but instead rely on finishing later?
Dew in the morning, so can’t really start much earlier - though we used to start at 10.30 routinely when on C4 so since then I’ve never found this to be a fully satisfactory answer. But that is the reason.. Always better to go longer into the evening here as Cribbage says.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I know Siddle did great with his 44 in 1st test, but without Starc and Pattinson this is the longest Aussie tail for awhile

7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Siddle
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood