• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They are embarrassing aren't they
It’s odd how they seem to always stop and search certain demographics. Must be a coincidence.

The other impression I’m getting from this show is that the UK is more awash with drugs than Medillin

greg

International Debutant
Taking a long time to start “because of concerns about the outfield”. So obviously the players are kicking a football about on it...

Uppercut

Why do they still need 30 minutes between the toss and start of play? Or do they have the toss before the pitch is ready?

Burgey

Police 10-7!!!!!!!!

Hang around, rain!!

This is the best show on tv

First scene tonight is a drunk bloke called Morgan (Morgie?) having a piss on someone else’s car. His GF is getting the keys off him and telling the cops to arrest him.

Ok he’s arcing up now. Not going well, resisting arrest. Just got him in the car.

He’s basically Ben Stokes so he should get acquitted.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can probably find a better comparison than Connolly tbh. Pretty sure Midge averaged something similar in '09.

I just remember him being pretty great, and I don't remember it even being up for discussion. I reckon if you dig Burgey's posts from the end of that series he'll be reluctantly admitting that Anderson was pretty great. You can look at his figures and re-evaluate if you like, though it wouldn't really interest me personally. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, or maybe there were weaknesses in his bowling that we missed at the time.
I don't remember him looking that distinctly better than the others. Granted I was young and missed big chunks of the series by being at school, but Tremlett implanted himself in my mind as being at least as dangerous, and the overall attack being good moreso than any of its members. The Alan Connolly comparison is simply showing that you can get a performance on the same level and have it pass by unnoticed if no one else backs it up. While he certainly bowled well, very well even, and had one of the best series by an English bowler in Australia in a long time it simply pales in comparison to actually great singular performances like Snow and Larwood and highlights how few England have actually had recently.

greg

International Debutant
Why do they still need 30 minutes between the toss and start of play? Or do they have the toss before the pitch is ready?
Or alternatively, why do they need to wait 25 minutes after the pitch inspection to have the toss?

Burgey

Best thing about this show is all the blokes who are completely maggotted, and the Kiwi cops come along, work out where they’re from and GIVE THEM A LIFT HOME TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFELY TUCKED UP IN BED!!!!!! This is the best thing ever.

In Australia, the cops come across a pissed bloke, antagonise him, belt him up and charge him with the Holy Trinity*

*91JMay LJ to confirm whether this is actually true or not.

Burgey

Bloke pissed late at night, stumbles into a random’s loungeroom and won’t leave. Cops come. He says “I’ve had too much and might head home. Can I wear your hat?”

“No mate, just go home. It’s that way, about eight houses. If you pull your pants up you’ll walk faster”

“Ok”

Can’t make this **** up

Uppercut

I don't remember him looking that distinctly better than the others. Granted I was young and missed big chunks of the series by being at school, but Tremlett implanted himself in my mind as being at least as dangerous, and the overall attack being good moreso than any of its members. The Alan Connolly comparison is simply showing that you can get a performance on the same level and have it pass by unnoticed if no one else backs it up. While he certainly bowled well, very well even, and had one of the best series by an English bowler in Australia in a long time it simply pales in comparison to actually great singular performances like Snow and Larwood and highlights how few England have actually had recently.
Yeah Tremlett was at least as good as Anderson, but I think he only managed one or two tests? Whereas I vaguely recall Anderson breaking some kind of record for the amount of bowling he got through.

I don't really have an opinion on whether it measured up to Snow or Larwood, but I guess it didn't. I don't think it was one of the best performances ever or anything. I'm happy to stick by "pretty great".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So good watching Anderson getting pummeled. Have always regarded that as his actual level, barring a category four cyclone over his head. And he hasn't done much out here in three subsequent tours to suggest otherwise
Worst post of the subforum, no mean feat.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Tremlett was at least as good as Anderson, but I think he only managed one or two tests? Whereas I vaguely recall Anderson breaking some kind of record for the amount of bowling he got through.

I don't really have an opinion on whether it measured up to Snow or Larwood, but I guess it didn't. I don't think it was one of the best performances ever or anything. I'm happy to stick by "pretty great".
C'mon man, Tremlett played three tests with a significantly better average than Anderson, took wickets at Perth when the rest were bowling poorly. and generally made our batsmen (even more) uncomfortable with his once from his six-foot-million height. His series so impressed that they brought him down here again in 2013/14 mainly on reputation and one random county eight-for even though he'd lost about 5 mph and a lot of rhythm and accuracy.

Perhaps we need to resurrect the 'all time very good' discussion. You might have a looser standard but I just can't rate a performance as great when historic great series are so much better.
If he broke a record for amount of bowling it's eluding my statsguru searches, though I could swear something along those lines was mentioned in some Ashes context at some point.

Uppercut

C'mon man, Tremlett played three tests with a significantly better average than Anderson, took wickets at Perth when the rest were bowling poorly. and generally made our batsmen (even more) uncomfortable with his once from his six-foot-million height. His series so impressed that they brought him down here again in 2013/14 mainly on reputation and one random county eight-for even though he'd lost about 5 mph and a lot of rhythm and accuracy.

Perhaps we need to resurrect the 'all time very good' discussion. You might have a looser standard but I just can't rate a performance as great when historic great series are so much better.
If he broke a record for amount of bowling it's eluding my statsguru searches, though I could swear something along those lines was mentioned in some Ashes context at some point.
Yeah so I was a big fan of Tremlett at the time. I'm not going to start claiming he wasn't all that. But if you gave England fans the choice of having had only one of the two available for that series, they'll all pick Anderson without having to think about it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Big difference playing five tests and three though isn't there?

Anderson flew home and back in a week before the Perth Test, also went into the series with a rib injury. Tremlett got to bowl to a batting line-up that was already on the backfoot, largely thanks to Anderson.

Not to take away, Tremlett was immense and I said at the time. But Anderson's bowling was the key to our success that series, well that and Cook.

I won't comment on where it sits against other bowling performances across all-time, but context is important, and Anderson spearheaded us to a first away victory in the Ashes for 25 years. Given the original cost from Burgey said Anderson had never done anything in Australia, it doesn't really matter whether you think it a great performance, or a good one, it's clearly not nothing. But Tremelett's stats, IMHO, don't happen without Anderson and that's why it's Jimmy who rightly gets the main plaudits.

Big up to Tim Bresnan too, though.

hazsa19

International Regular
It’s odd how they seem to always stop and search certain demographics. Must be a coincidence.

The other impression I’m getting from this show is that the UK is more awash with drugs than Medillin
You a ****ing expert on stop & search powers in the UK now then?

cnerd123

likes this
Or alternatively, why do they need to wait 25 minutes after the pitch inspection to have the toss?
Inspect pitch/outfield

Determine it will be set to play by X o'clock. This factors in time needed for groundstaff, players, media, etc to be ready

Schedule toss for 30 minutes before X o'clock

It's not rocket science

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think Anderson's Ashes career is a bit overrated by English fans. But that's mainly on the back of the fact that, surprisingly, he's never had a particularly great home Ashes series, especially when you compare him to Broad. His 10/11 and 17/18 tours are probably his two best Ashes series in terms of consistency across five tests. IMO the latter really would be remembered well if he'd had any decent support, like he did in 10/11, but I understand why it wouldn't have made an impression on most people. Jimmy definitely has a pretty patchy away record, but the idea he's only ever been mediocre to poor in Australia clearly isn't true.