• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

andmark

International Captain
i’m afraid I think tomorrow’s weather forecast is quite possibly the worst i’ve ever seen prior to a day i’m due to go to a Test Match. Almost a case of thinking it’s not worth the train fare.
If the train is already booked, you should go just for the MCC Museum if nothing else.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Really strange dropping Pattinson but it's not like we're replacing him with a terrible bowler. Pretty much every one of the big 4 deserves to play.
I don't think it is strange at all. While he probably looked to bowl a lot better than his figures he only took 2 wickets and was the least economical of the bowlers. He has to be regarded as a lot higher risk of injury and is that risk really worth it for only 2 wickets. While I think he is simply a better bowler than Starc the injury risk probably swings things toward picking Starc. But if Starc does not have a good game Pattinson probably will come in for the third test.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno if they were all available at the same time, but the mid/late 90s options were very solid on paper at least, weren't they? McGrath, Fleming, Dizzy, Reiffel, Kasper and (at a pinch) Bichel.
The top end may be better these days, but overall depth was still better in the 90s I have always thought. Would take Bichel over someone like a Chris Tremain, and it isn't especially close

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
He might not have bowled much in 4 day cricket for a while but one of the best things about Archer in his first year or two of county cricket was his ability to bowl 20+ overs in a day at good pace. It was a fairly common occurence for Archer to bowl say 23 or 24 overs in a day, with the next seamer bowling 15 or 16.

2017 county averages - Specsavers County Championship Division Two, 2017 Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com
Archer bowled 475 overs in the season. More than anyone else in div 2 that year. And that was his first full season in county cricket. Only played his first first class game the previous July. And that from a guy bowling mid 80s mph.

Archer will be useful at home for England in test cricket but away from home his value to the side will hopefully be massive. England have lots of guys who could average less than 30 in home conditions. Away from home we don't really have any. Hopefully Archer will provide this. Could perform either role tbh - workhorse style 20+ overs a day at mid 80s mph, or the enforcer bowling short hostile spells.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
England bowlers with 30 or more test wickets this century away from home. No-one with an average under 30. Think Archer will break that.
Andy Caddick did average a tiny bit under 30 for his whole career away from home, just not the last little bit that makes the list. Darren Gough who played into that period averaged well under 30 away from home as well. Still a bit surprising even Anderson is well over 30 away from home. Closest of the current lot is Stokes which is rather strange.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
So England have brought Simon Harmer into the nets to practice against quality offspin. Obviously they would have hoped to use Moeen for that but the way he is bowling has blew that out of the water

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it is strange at all. While he probably looked to bowl a lot better than his figures he only took 2 wickets and was the least economical of the bowlers. He has to be regarded as a lot higher risk of injury and is that risk really worth it for only 2 wickets. While I think he is simply a better bowler than Starc the injury risk probably swings things toward picking Starc. But if Starc does not have a good game Pattinson probably will come in for the third test.
It seems the talk is Haze in for Patto rather than Starc. Looks like Aus is seriously looking to dry up England and strangle their bating, a lot of who do like to play their shots tbf. Probably not a bad tactic against this line up.

Spark

Global Moderator
It seems the talk is Haze in for Patto rather than Starc. Looks like Aus is seriously looking to dry up England and strangle their bating, a lot of who do like to play their shots tbf. Probably not a bad tactic against this line up.
It's the only tactic that has been consistently successful for us in England since 05

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Something to think about.

The last time Smith played at Lords he scored 215 and 58
Second innings failure.

I predicted this yesterday, ftr.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah honestly I want Starc in the side if the pitch is flat.

If there's a bit in it for the quicks then pick Haze, Siddle and Cummins but if there's not, pick Starc, Pattinson and Cummins.