• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roy’s spot at the top should not be in doubt

Bijed

International Regular
Would swap Roy and Denly around for the next test - unlikely to make much difference whatsoever but might help a miniscule amount. As for the possibility of bringing in Sibley, on the off-chance that he's a genuine prospect, I'd rather not rush him into the side now, but on the OTOH assuming Roy and Denly are both binned by the end of the Ashes, I don't know who else we'd realistically bring in.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would swap Roy and Denly around for the next test - unlikely to make much difference whatsoever but might help a miniscule amount. As for the possibility of bringing in Sibley, on the off-chance that he's a genuine prospect, I'd rather not rush him into the side now, but on the OTOH assuming Roy and Denly are both binned by the end of the Ashes, I don't know who else we'd realistically bring in.
Will Young, Brandon King or Zubair Hamza?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Denly bats in his county position and Northeast comes in at number 4.

Bijed

International Regular
Maybe Denly bats in his county position and Northeast comes in at number 4.
Yeah, the random re-jigging of the order to slot Denly in at 4 is just weird. Had forgotten about Northeast, guess he's probably due a chance

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Recall Lyth, Ballance, Vince and Northeast to fill the Roy/Denly/Buttler spots and give you a spare batsman as cover. Drop Leach for Dawson.

Done.

gCricket15

Cricket Spectator
Sadly I don't think Roy will cut it at test cricket. Maybe he would do better at 6 and then move everyone up one apart from Root who would stay at 3 and Denly would move to 2 as he has looked ok with the new ball and would be better than Roy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well he's likely getting another go somewhere in the order at Headingley.

Hope he's not opening, because a tinge of green and some clouds and he'll struggle to better his return from Lords.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well he's likely getting another go somewhere in the order at Headingley.

Hope he's not opening, because a tinge of green and some clouds and he'll struggle to better his return from Lords.
I think the best hope for Roy is if we bat first then roll Oz cheap (as we should given they'll be missing their batsman) and he gets the chance to put some cheap runs on Warner style. Might give him a confidence boost.

Clutching at straws, but

And before anyone pounces on me I'm not saying that's the only way Warner gets runs but he is immense in that situation

Burgey

Roy's experiment opening is looking a lot like ours with Arun Finch - can see them doing damage down the order but up front they seem not to be able to cut it at all.

trundler

Yeah, quick runs are so valuable when conditions allow or the match situation warrants attack. Stokes' assault on Day 5 was so important (and impressive). Someone capable of doing that down the order is worth a lot but Roy and Finch are just not up to it opening.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stokes innings was the classic case of why Richard's black and white stance on it was such nonsense though. He would not give Stokes any credit for what happened after the let-off because it shouldn't have happened whereas most of us look at that and think 'boy did he really make his luck count'

Burgey

should have been out 3 or 4 times shouldn't he?
Dropped catches are no one's fault but the fielding side, however, the lbw howler is all on the umpire.

I say that even though I know ***** will pop in here and say how hard it is to be an international official.

Burgey

Stokes innings was the classic case of why Richard's black and white stance on it was such nonsense though. He would not give Stokes any credit for what happened after the let-off because it shouldn't have happened whereas most of us look at that and think 'boy did he really make his luck count'
Stokes' real let off came almost just over a year earlier.