• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roy’s spot at the top should not be in doubt

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A couple of years ago when England were out here I thought Bairstow really looked the goods with the bat and that he should have been batting at #3. Has his batting deteriorated or am I remembering incorrectly? Thought he was a bit of an Alec Stewart where you might get a lot more out of him sans keeping glove?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bairstow is a better keeper than Buttler. I agree he looks a bIt ungainly but he didn’t do much wrong with the gloves last game at all did he?
Yeah missed a big stumping of Travis Head that you really shouldn't miss. Let through a few 4-byes off the spinners too, usually when the batsmen swept/reverse-swept. He seems to be pretty hopeless up to the stumps in general, and as we've mentioned looks absolutely atrocious technically. I'm surprised that Buttler isn't considered better because I can't recall him being anything other than proficient.

Denly just doesn't look up to test match standard to me.
He never did. I said this when he was picked in the first place. Didn't even look good enough for the Big Bash.

A couple of years ago when England were out here I thought Bairstow really looked the goods with the bat and that he should have been batting at #3. Has his batting deteriorated or am I remembering incorrectly? Thought he was a bit of an Alec Stewart where you might get a lot more out of him sans keeping glove?
Just a couple of seasons ago, or was it least season?, in England he was in fantastic Test form. Looked like a potential ATG bat he was making so many runs. Something's definitely gone wrong since then.

Last edited:

trundler

Buttler doesn't exactly set the world alight up to the stumps either, from what I've seen.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There’s no such thing as a great wicketkeeper in the modern game. They toss the gloves to a batsman and decide the extra runs negate the loss in the field.

TheJediBrah

I think that's an exaggeration. It definitely happens a lot more than it used to but there are still good keepers floating around.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not entirely. Until Gilchrist came along a top quality keeper was still a priority. As it happens Gilchrist was a Test class keeper as well, but it started everyone off wanting a keeper who could bat as a main priority.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
His keeping wasn't that great though.
Flower was never an especially good keeper, but there is an argument that for a few years Zimbabwe didn't have anyone superior. Early on Wayne James was around, definitely a superior gloveman, but he had finished up by 1997ish so there was a real lack of options

Woodster

International Captain
Regarding England's keepers, I don't think there's a great deal at all between Bairstow and Buttler with the gloves, where as there's a noticeable step up when you watch Ben Foakes behind the stumps. As being a wonderful gloveman is now an outdated selection criteria the fact Foakes is not as eye catching with the bat as the other two, though I'm sure he could be even more effective in certain circumstances, is clearly working against him.

Thought Foakes was really unlucky to lose his spot when he did, hope he gets another chance at some point when the time's right.

TheJediBrah

Really seems like Foakes was dropped because the other guys are better at white-ball cricket. Not only is he a better keeper but he seemed, from what little I saw of him, to be a better red-ball batsman than Bairstow or Buttler too. Strange selection in hindsight.

morgieb

Really seems like Foakes was dropped because the other guys are better at white-ball cricket. Not only is he a better keeper but he seemed, from what little I saw of him, to be a better red-ball batsman than Bairstow or Buttler too. Strange selection in hindsight.
Think it was a case of runs on the board. Bairstow was entrenched enough and Buttler was doing rather well at Test level. Does seem a bit harsh though.