• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roy’s spot at the top should not be in doubt

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't see Denly doing much. Looked hapless in the BBL and while I know they're different formats it gave me no confidence he'd succeed in tests. Avg from 21 after his first 4 tells me he's already on thin ice

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
He is not a test match opener. That is just a simple fact, he is a middle order batsman at FC level and if he is going to be successful at test level it is at 4-6.

The situation is almost exactly the same as Aaron Finch for Australia and that failed. Finch said he had to change his game a lot but all that happened was his form in one day cricket was bad and I suspect that might be all this experiment of picking Roy will achieve.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
How do we know there isn't? Sibley at Warks is playing some beautiful cricket this year, and averaging 63 almost this year, albeit it being his first year doing so. My issue is that they have, again, picked an ODI player who plays aggresively against restricted fields in OD cricket, against bowlers usually not having a long spell and looking to keep the economy down, and thought he'd do well in Tests and therefore ignoring the other options available. I would have little issue if he came further down the order, say 5/6 (and dropping Buttler to do this for instance), as that is where his skills would make sense. But an opener, should be someone who you can trust to see out the swinging new ball, and in conditions like today, I have little faith he can last more than 30-40 balls, and maybe score a run a ball 40-50 once a series.
Sibley finished last season with 3 centuries in the last 3 matches. Ideally Sibley probably would be looked at getting picked a bit later than now if his form continued and there was a spot but he is in very good form. A young player who seems to have worked out his game and improved it well beyond what it was previously. That does not guarantee he will be a huge success but with the lack of opening options he should be picked.

Roy can move into the middle order in place of Denly or be dropped.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He's not a long term option but over a five match series he's liable to come off at least a couple of times. If England are to retain him then his aggressive mindset has to be reinforced despite that shocker in the second innings. He's no good trying to play at conventional Test match opener, so his strong suit should be emphasized.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Archer for Anderson and Leach for Ali should be the certain changes. Bairstow looks wobbly and Foakes should be pressing him. If Denly doesn't bat at 3 I'd pick someone who would but they'll probably keep Root at 3 for Lords.
I'd drop Denly as like Vince he just isn't up to it. I'd probably do something funky and replace him with Curran but bat Woakes at 4 as he has ability and a great Lords record.

Burns
Roy
Root
Woakes
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Curran
Archer
Broad
Leach

Get as many non World Cup players in as possible as the ones who played look shot. Bairstow on thin ice but can't see him being dropped yet.

Also send the WC players away for a few days to relax on a beach and recharge the batteries. Might help.

Last edited:

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Don't wreck Sibley by playing him too early.
It might be a bit of a risk, but a lot of players get dropped and then come back a lot better. Give him a taste, if it works then there is a partial fix to the opening problem, if not then he can work on his game and continue to improve.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
There are obvious benefits to fitting Roy into the middle order where the ball doesn't deviate as much and he can simply hit through the line of the ball a little more and perhaps impose himself a little easier.

The problems come when he has to start against top class spin bowling, especially in the sub-continent, but maybe his position in the order can become flexible and he opens in certain series and bats middle order at other times. Either way I think he has the quality that we means we ensure we find a way to fit him in.

There are more orthodox opening batsmen around, Dominic Sibley has already been mentioned, I’m a fan of Nick Browne at Esssx despite not having the kind of season to propel him to the forefront of the selectors minds.

But I like Roy’s positive approach, he can defend solidly, but he will put pressure back on the excellent Aussie opening bowlers even in bowling conditions, they know they can’t miss their areas or they’ll disappear. I’m backing him to come good this series, at the top of the order.

Gob

International Coach
Why is Bairstool keeping instead of Butler he is a **** keeper. Also maybe Roy to six so he can do some late damage

Burgey

great banter this
Fmd get this ****. Literally went OS for a beach holiday last week but reckons his cricket side should show some loyalty and visit one of their domestic rock gardens instead

Burgey

Why is Bairstool keeping instead of Butler he is a **** keeper. Also maybe Roy to six so he can do some late damage
Bairstow is a better keeper than Buttler. I agree he looks a bIt ungainly but he didn’t do much wrong with the gloves last game at all did he?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fmd get this ****. Literally went OS for a beach holiday last week but reckons his cricket side should show some loyalty and visit one of their domestic rock gardens instead
Wrong. It was the week before :ph34r:

Anyway. Of course an overseas break is better. But we do have some nice proper beaches. Just because you happened to go to a pebble one. ****.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can't see Denly doing much. Looked hapless in the BBL and while I know they're different formats it gave me no confidence he'd succeed in tests. Avg from 21 after his first 4 tells me he's already on thin ice
Denly just doesn't look up to test match standard to me. I think some of the coaching staff probably share my doubts as it was interesting that when YJB was broken he was initially passed over in SL for Foakes, who's both a keeper and not even in the original test squad, despite the obvious option of giving Buttler the gloves.

It only when the stench of Jennings's failure was curdling the milk in the Windies he finally got a go as (yet another) opener.

Sibley to open with Roy replacing Denly at 4 would be the way I'd go.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I expect Sibley to join the long line of the likes of Hales and Jennings and Malan who get a run and make the odd decent score and get binned averaging about 27.

Uppercut

Might be damning with faint praise but I don’t think he looked any worse than the rest of the English batsmen this past 2 tests. His mistakes look uglier, but he also middles a few more shots than most.

Wouldn’t be opposed to him moving down the order. Bit of deckchair rearranging about that though. Whatever the order they’re just not really good enough.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Within the context that there’s one proven Top 5 Test batsman in the whole country, the Roy option is as good as any.

Spark

Global Moderator
As I keep saying with Australian batting selections, those lambasting the English selectors for picking x batsman with a middling-to-okay county record and middling-to-okay technique/temperament over y batsman with a middling-to-okay county record and middling-to-okay technique/temperament really are making the assumption that there’s a huge difference to be gained between said x and y, which just doesn’t seem true. You can’t pick what you don’t have.