Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Roys spot at the top should not be in doubt

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Sibley is hardly a proven Test class opener, which is what I said we don’t have and why Roy was chosen.
    And my point is that the reason we don't is we keep picking OD players to try and bat, fail, and then discard. And we have done it again with respect to Roy being preferred due to not opening the batting for his county, and having a mediocre record from when he batted further down the order. A little similar to Denly - he got in the tour over the winter not purely due to his 4 day record, which was good last year but more middling throughout his career, but because of his very good performances in the OD and T20 stuff for Kent, coupled with his bowling ability.

International Coach
    Which other ODI openers have been tried and at the expense of who? The fact that Sibley is the prime example makes it a weak argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Which other ODI openers have been tried and at the expense of who? The fact that Sibley is the prime example makes it a weak argument.
    Alex Hales. Averaged 27 from 11 tests but that was with no not outs and he still hit 5 fifties, a decent ratio. 3 of them over 80.

I would give Roy at least this series to see if he can do better
    cricket rules brah

International Vice-Captain
    I would imagine Roy stayed up all night envisaging how he was going to pump 180 not out and become an instant Ashes hero, ala KP in 2005.

He deserves another go, obviously, but someone might want to tell him Test cricket isn't the doddle he might imagine it is.

International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Archer for Anderson and Leach for Ali should be the certain changes. Bairstow looks wobbly and Foakes should be pressing him. If Denly doesn't bat at 3 I'd pick someone who would but they'll probably keep Root at 3 for Lords.

I can't see Denly doing much. Looked hapless in the BBL and while I know they're different formats it gave me no confidence he'd succeed in tests. Avg from 21 after his first 4 tells me he's already on thin ice

First Class Debutant
    He is not a test match opener. That is just a simple fact, he is a middle order batsman at FC level and if he is going to be successful at test level it is at 4-6.

The situation is almost exactly the same as Aaron Finch for Australia and that failed. Finch said he had to change his game a lot but all that happened was his form in one day cricket was bad and I suspect that might be all this experiment of picking Roy will achieve.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMuser View Post
    How do we know there isn't? Sibley at Warks is playing some beautiful cricket this year, and averaging 63 almost this year, albeit it being his first year doing so. My issue is that they have, again, picked an ODI player who plays aggresively against restricted fields in OD cricket, against bowlers usually not having a long spell and looking to keep the economy down, and thought he'd do well in Tests and therefore ignoring the other options available. I would have little issue if he came further down the order, say 5/6 (and dropping Buttler to do this for instance), as that is where his skills would make sense. But an opener, should be someone who you can trust to see out the swinging new ball, and in conditions like today, I have little faith he can last more than 30-40 balls, and maybe score a run a ball 40-50 once a series.
    Sibley finished last season with 3 centuries in the last 3 matches. Ideally Sibley probably would be looked at getting picked a bit later than now if his form continued and there was a spot but he is in very good form. A young player who seems to have worked out his game and improved it well beyond what it was previously. That does not guarantee he will be a huge success but with the lack of opening options he should be picked.

Roy can move into the middle order in place of Denly or be dropped.

International Debutant
    He's not a long term option but over a five match series he's liable to come off at least a couple of times. If England are to retain him then his aggressive mindset has to be reinforced despite that shocker in the second innings. He's no good trying to play at conventional Test match opener, so his strong suit should be emphasized.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Archer for Anderson and Leach for Ali should be the certain changes. Bairstow looks wobbly and Foakes should be pressing him. If Denly doesn't bat at 3 I'd pick someone who would but they'll probably keep Root at 3 for Lords.
    I'd drop Denly as like Vince he just isn't up to it. I'd probably do something funky and replace him with Curran but bat Woakes at 4 as he has ability and a great Lords record.

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Woakes
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Curran
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach

Get as many non World Cup players in as possible as the ones who played look shot. Bairstow on thin ice but can't see him being dropped yet.

Also send the WC players away for a few days to relax on a beach and recharge the batteries. Might help.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 05-08-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Also send the WC players away for a few days to relax on a beach and recharge the batteries. Might help.
    Mate not enough time to send them overseas before the next test.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Don't wreck Sibley by playing him too early.
    It might be a bit of a risk, but a lot of players get dropped and then come back a lot better. Give him a taste, if it works then there is a partial fix to the opening problem, if not then he can work on his game and continue to improve.
    Last edited by Test_Fan_Only; 05-08-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    France is a 40 minute boat ride away if that Dunkirk movie was accurate

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    great banter this

There are obvious benefits to fitting Roy into the middle order where the ball doesn't deviate as much and he can simply hit through the line of the ball a little more and perhaps impose himself a little easier.

The problems come when he has to start against top class spin bowling, especially in the sub-continent, but maybe his position in the order can become flexible and he opens in certain series and bats middle order at other times. Either way I think he has the quality that we means we ensure we find a way to fit him in.

There are more orthodox opening batsmen around, Dominic Sibley has already been mentioned, Im a fan of Nick Browne at Esssx despite not having the kind of season to propel him to the forefront of the selectors minds.

But I like Roys positive approach, he can defend solidly, but he will put pressure back on the excellent Aussie opening bowlers even in bowling conditions, they know they cant miss their areas or theyll disappear. Im backing him to come good this series, at the top of the order.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information