Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Player ratings thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar

Player ratings thread

Standard Test tour subbie thread. Obviously add your own.

Burns 8 - lucky ton? Perhaps. But a ton is still a ton, and it put England in a position that should've been quite strong.
    Roy 2 - not up to scratch. That shot in the second innings has to be amongst the worst of all time given the match situation.
    Root 5 - middling performance. Looked OK but his wicket was a bit of a limp on when the chance was there to put the match away.
    Denly 2 - doesn't have the same kind of technical/tempermental flaws that Roy has, but generally feels short of Test class. I don't see how can survive especially with Root deciding to bat 3 again.
    Buttler 1 - horror Test, really. Probably a case of lack of recent red ball form showing, though o/c it didn't stop Smith.
    Stokes 5 - I could've bowled better in the first innings. But his batting performance in England's first innings was actually quite important and he looked more dangerous than the other bowlers as the innings went on.
    Bairstow 2 - I guess he kept OK? Horrid with the bat though and frankly has to be close to the axe.
    Ali 2 - might have been the worst 3 wicket performance of all-time. Second innings especially he looked a deer in the headlights. Feel for him, he just appears mentally shot.
    Woakes 7 - not amazing with the ball but did have a great spell first innings, and probably looked England's most solid bat amongst the two innings.
    Broad 8 - great first innings spell and actually a decent batting cameo too.
    Anderson N/A - can't really grade him on what was only 4 overs. Terrible handling of him overall though. Hopefully this isn't the last we've seen of him at Test level.

Bancroft 1 - failure. He'll get another chance but the rope isn't going to be long.
    Warner 1 - also failed on his first Test back. We'll see how he goes as the series goes on.
    Khawaja 4 - not great, but his 40-odd was pretty crucial in terms of momentum.
    Smith 10 - if possible probably should get a 15. First innings ton an ATG one, and he managed a really important one in the second innings. One match-defining ton in a game is usually the sign of a great game, two is basically unheard of. And to think this was his first Test in 18 months too. **** me......
    Head 6 - threw away two good starts, but again the second one was crucial in the game position.
    Wade 8 - OK, it was a bit chancy and the situation was good for batting, but still a ton is a ton. Great comeback from someone who was basically written off after getting dropped in 2017.
    Paine 3 - fairly anonymous game with the bat, keeping was pretty mediocre and his captaincy was poor. Overall this game wasn't a winner.
    Pattinson 7 - actually thought he bowled very well, was probably our most dangerous bowler first innings. Didn't get much of a chance second innings.
    Cummins 8 - struggled somewhat early doors, but you can't keep him out for long. His second innings was pretty lethal.
    Siddle 8 - bowled about as well as he has for a long time, and his first innings was massively important in building a partnership.
    Lyon 8 - not great first dig, but showed why he's probably the best spinner in the world in the second. Almost looked like taking a wicket every ball. Bonus points for a key partnership to get Australia to a decent first innings total.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

U19 Debutant
    Smith - 10
    Head - 6
    Cummins - 8.5
    Pattinson - 6.5
    Siddle - 7.5
    Lyon - 8

Burns 8
    Roy 0
    Root 5
    Denly 4
    Buttler 2
    Stokes 6
    Bairstow 2
    Ali 1
    Woakes 6
    Broad 7
    Anderson 9

Canít argue with an economy of 0.25.

A Test win for Australia that will always have an asterisk next to it due to Andersonís injury, but nonetheless too many passengers with the bat. Just been listening to TMS Podcast and Vaughan thinks all the World Cup players havenít got their focus. Nine days to recover now, they best get to it.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Can we rate the umpires? Minus one million. Specsavers is sponsoring this series, they should go get a prescription.
    The truth, I think, is this: that since the triumph of what was called rationalism, we have successfully cultivated everything except reason - G.K. Chesterton

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'you are mad, you are not like us' - St. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Smith - 10
    Head - 6
    Cummins - 8.5
    Pattinson - 6.5
    Siddle - 7.5
    Lyon - 8
    Pretty harsh on Pattinson. The bloke bowled one bad over. Was extremely unlucky in the first dig as well.

International Coach
    Burns 8
    Anderson 0

A bunch of others who did nothing to enhance their reputation.

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Burns ton will turn out to be great for Aus this series. He's not a good player and this will keep him in the side.

International Coach
    I said that at the time, but he still gets a good rating for this match.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I said that at the time, but he still gets a good rating for this match.
    Yeah he did the work, luck notwithstanding. I expect the opposition would be pretty happy to have him there all series

It's better to be lucky than good.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    It's better to be lucky than good.
    not in the long run, luck doesn't last

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Burns ton will turn out to be great for Aus this series. He's not a good player and this will keep him in the side.
    Because of how he looks technically? Serious question, I don't know much about him. He did seem to ride some luck in the first dig

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Because of how he looks technically? Serious question, I don't know much about him. He did seem to ride some luck in the first dig
    No I have no problem with unusual techniques. I just don't think he's much good. I definitely feel comfortable as an opposition fan with him in there

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Sort of, but more that he just looks a batsman that will always give you a chance if he's not in 100% prime nick. Very vulnerable outside off-stump, he's lucky Australia persisted with a dumb strategy to him and even then he gave up like 20 chances (no drops admittedly, but lots of plays and misses and edges).

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    The Goat.jpg

Edit: pic courtesy Sydney Sixers
    Last edited by Burgey; 05-08-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    Starfighter and morgieb like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information