Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Player ratings thread

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Oh my God

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Burns 5 - two OK-ish innings, but even they needed let-offs and unlike Stokes he couldn't take full advantage of it.
    Roy 0 - yikes. Two failures and dropped catches. Simply not up to it.
    Root 1 - did nothing of significance. Which is kinda damning when he's your senior batsman.
    Denly 4 - at least he got two starts before getting out.
    Stokes 8.5 - OK there were let-offs and some of the runs were kinda easy, but a ton is still a ton, especially when a failure probably means an Australian victory. Didn't light up too many trees with the ball.
    Buttler 5 - key knock second innings to ensure that England couldn't lose, even though unlike Stokes he failed to kick on.
    Bairstow 6 - best batting game from him in a while, and kept OK.
    Woakes 6 - quiet Test but still managed a few key wickets and the 30-odd was an important knock.
    Archer 8.5 - the hype is real. Scorebook only says 4 wickets, but the impact was so much more than that. Looked as scary as any bowler since Mitchell Johnson at times.
    Broad 7 - good bowling first innings. Would a better second innings performance have squeezed Australia out, though?
    Leach 8 - not used too much first innings but did OK when he did, and looked rather dangerous second innings when the game was on the line.

Bancroft 2 - at least batted some time. But even then looked ugly as hell doing so. Really is not Test standard.
    Warner 0 - dear god. Is it too early to say "mentally shot"
    Khawaja 3.5 - is converting a start too much to ask?
    Smith 9 - was looking on fire before getting clocked by Archer, and even then fought hard. Just brilliant all round, eh?
    Head 6 - very good knock second innings having come in during a difficult situation.
    Wade 2 - see Bancroft. Increasingly it looks like the first Test was a fluke.
    Paine 1 - managed a decent partnership with Smith. But otherwise.....horrid captaincy, and played arguably the worst shot of all-time given the match situation second innings.
    Cummins 8 - pick of the bowlers throughout both innings and showed far more fight than at least half the actual/alledged batsman.
    Siddle 7 - more expensive than what is ideal but did take some key wickets and can point to bad luck.
    Lyon 6 - bowled decently first innings and had a bit of bad luck second innings. What sort of impact does the Stokes attack have on his confidence, though?
    Hazlewood 7 - brilliant spell first morning, kinda meh otherwise.
    Labuschagne 7 - nearly caused a nasty collapse with an ill-judged shot, but before that looked more composed than anyone not named Smith out there with the bat. Given that he was not expecting to play for most of the match, an excellent job given the circumstances. Especially after getting clocked by Archer second ball.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    It does seem Labushagne's runs in the lead up to the test series weren't flukes, and his game is suited to English conditions. Must say I admire his moxy, too. Batting like that on a last day deck after not being in the side originally says a lot about how mentally tough he is.

I'd be very tempted to get him into the side whether Smith is fit or not. Quite possibly at three, with the Pillow moving up to open.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    Might something of Smith have rubbed off onto Lab coming in as his substitute? I surely hope so. If he can just be half as good he will probably be double as good as the rest, at the moment.

I'm as surprised as anyone that Labuschagne made runs. Nothing in his shield or previous test performances said he had it in him. That bouncer to the face seems to have woken him up.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I'm as surprised as anyone that Labuschagne made runs. Nothing in his shield or previous test performances said he had it in him. That bouncer to the face seems to have woken him up.
    I know it was Sri Lanka but his 80-odd against them was actually pretty important on a tricky wicket.

Plus he did very well at county level, so he did come into the Test in good touch.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I know it was Sri Lanka but his 80-odd against them was actually pretty important on a tricky wicket.

Plus he did very well at county level, so he did come into the Test in good touch.
    All this. Especially the county form
    cricket rules brah

Bancroft had better shield and county form but that hasn't helped him.

I'm still deciding which of the two openers should be dropped for the next test. Both have compelling arguments for carrying the drinks.

International Regular GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    I did think Labuschagne looked like an alright player for Queensland for a while, well organized at the crease, but he had never really done anything massively impressive results wise. A couple of seasons averaging a shade under 40 isn't terrible but it certainly doesn't scream pick me. But there is definitely a fair bit to work with there, would personally retain him for Headingley but not sure who goes out in that scenario

Agree with a few here that promoting Khawaja may be worth consideration
    Allegedly banned

Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    JP Kotze is a hero.

5 for Burns seems harsh. Top scored in the first innings for England and as frustrating as it is that he didn't kick on, in the context of that innings on the whole he deserves a tad more credit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

State Vice-Captain Second Spitter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Wade 2 - see Bancroft. Increasingly it looks like the first Test was a fluke..
    The idea that he could somehow become a Test standard batsman at his age, is completely flawed. It just goes to show the gap between Shield and Test level is getting larger and larger. Bancroft is another Shield bully but fish out of water at Test level. I feel Kurtis Patterson would have done better in English conditions.

If Burns gets out early 2nd innings then Cummins easily could have done decisive damage to the English middle order with the new ball. 5 is harsh.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Spitter View Post
    The idea that he could somehow become a Test standard batsman at his age, is completely flawed. It just goes to show the gap between Shield and Test level is getting larger and larger. Bancroft is another Shield bully but fish out of water at Test level. I feel Kurtis Patterson would have done better in English conditions.
    I agree that Patterson should be there and playing ahead of Wade. But Wade is a proper batsman now. His century was streaky but he's still done more than anyone but Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    5 for Burns seems harsh. Top scored in the first innings for England and as frustrating as it is that he didn't kick on, in the context of that innings on the whole he deserves a tad more credit IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    If Burns gets out early 2nd innings then Cummins easily could have done decisive damage to the English middle order with the new ball. 5 is harsh.
    Yeah, you're both probably right. I guess he just annoys me because of all of his innings having significant let-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I'm still deciding which of the two openers should be dropped for the next test. Both have compelling arguments for carrying the drinks.
    Nah - there's a good chance that Warner would drop them.
    Starfighter, stephen, vcs and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information