• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player ratings thread

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm as surprised as anyone that Labuschagne made runs. Nothing in his shield or previous test performances said he had it in him. That bouncer to the face seems to have woken him up.
I know it was Sri Lanka but his 80-odd against them was actually pretty important on a tricky wicket.

Plus he did very well at county level, so he did come into the Test in good touch.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know it was Sri Lanka but his 80-odd against them was actually pretty important on a tricky wicket.

Plus he did very well at county level, so he did come into the Test in good touch.
All this. Especially the county form

stephen

Bancroft had better shield and county form but that hasn't helped him.

I'm still deciding which of the two openers should be dropped for the next test. Both have compelling arguments for carrying the drinks.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I did think Labuschagne looked like an alright player for Queensland for a while, well organized at the crease, but he had never really done anything massively impressive results wise. A couple of seasons averaging a shade under 40 isn't terrible but it certainly doesn't scream pick me. But there is definitely a fair bit to work with there, would personally retain him for Headingley but not sure who goes out in that scenario

Agree with a few here that promoting Khawaja may be worth consideration

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
5 for Burns seems harsh. Top scored in the first innings for England and as frustrating as it is that he didn't kick on, in the context of that innings on the whole he deserves a tad more credit IMO.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Wade 2 - see Bancroft. Increasingly it looks like the first Test was a fluke..
The idea that he could somehow become a Test standard batsman at his age, is completely flawed. It just goes to show the gap between Shield and Test level is getting larger and larger. Bancroft is another Shield bully but fish out of water at Test level. I feel Kurtis Patterson would have done better in English conditions.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Burns gets out early 2nd innings then Cummins easily could have done decisive damage to the English middle order with the new ball. 5 is harsh.

stephen

The idea that he could somehow become a Test standard batsman at his age, is completely flawed. It just goes to show the gap between Shield and Test level is getting larger and larger. Bancroft is another Shield bully but fish out of water at Test level. I feel Kurtis Patterson would have done better in English conditions.
I agree that Patterson should be there and playing ahead of Wade. But Wade is a proper batsman now. His century was streaky but he's still done more than anyone but Smith.

morgieb

5 for Burns seems harsh. Top scored in the first innings for England and as frustrating as it is that he didn't kick on, in the context of that innings on the whole he deserves a tad more credit IMO.
If Burns gets out early 2nd innings then Cummins easily could have done decisive damage to the English middle order with the new ball. 5 is harsh.
Yeah, you're both probably right. I guess he just annoys me because of all of his innings having significant let-offs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Poster ratings in the series to date

Burgey - 3/10 - Usual blowhard drivel coupled with the odd serious post that is still terrible. Gets the 3 as a sympathy measure.
TJB - 5/10 - Benchmarked against his own very low standards, has not been the worst poster in the subbie thus far
Stephen - 10/10 - A level of consistency Steve Smith would be proud of. Consistently mindless, displaying low quality and little critical analysis, but beggars can't be choosers. Fair play.
flibbertyjibber - 6/10 - Tremendous drunken spree during the first Test but appears to have peaked with that. Need to get some more ale in him so he goes on the offensive again
Adders - 5/10 - Too quiet and too polite by his usual standards. I want to see patrotism that borders on jingoism and I want it now.
***** - Unclassified - Should not be posting in the subforum.
Uppercut - 8/10 - Great to see a quality neutral enjoying the Ashes.
Spark - 2/10 - His eight year reign of terror as mod means the abuse in the subforum has been sadly lacking. If he creates an 'Under the Lid' thread I will revise this by the end of the series.
MW304 - 9/10 - Consistently quality
morgieb - 2/10 - Impressive that he's now into his seventh successive Ashes series of posting utter codswallop.
Lilian Thomson - 8/10 - Excellent contributions across the forum that will hopefully be recognised in the Power 5. Loses marks because I hate Ryan Lowe.

Starfighter

Nice to see my 749 posts in two match threads have gone unnoticed. I like flying under the radar.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I actually meant to include you. Here goes:

Starfighter 8/10 - occasional questionable opinions but comes across as a much better bloke than his nationality should allow

stephen

Poster ratings in the series to date

Burgey - 3/10 - Usual blowhard drivel coupled with the odd serious post that is still terrible. Gets the 3 as a sympathy measure.
TJB - 5/10 - Benchmarked against his own very low standards, has not been the worst poster in the subbie thus far
Stephen - 10/10 - A level of consistency Steve Smith would be proud of. Consistently mindless, displaying low quality and little critical analysis, but beggars can't be choosers. Fair play.
flibbertyjibber - 6/10 - Tremendous drunken spree during the first Test but appears to have peaked with that. Need to get some more ale in him so he goes on the offensive again
Adders - 5/10 - Too quiet and too polite by his usual standards. I want to see patrotism that borders on jingoism and I want it now.
***** - Unclassified - Should not be posting in the subforum.
Uppercut - 8/10 - Great to see a quality neutral enjoying the Ashes.
Spark - 2/10 - His eight year reign of terror as mod means the abuse in the subforum has been sadly lacking. If he creates an 'Under the Lid' thread I will revise this by the end of the series.
MW304 - 9/10 - Consistently quality
morgieb - 2/10 - Impressive that he's now into his seventh successive Ashes series of posting utter codswallop.
Lilian Thomson - 8/10 - Excellent contributions across the forum that will hopefully be recognised in the Power 5. Loses marks because I hate Ryan Lowe.
That's wonderful coming from you.

Burgey

Nice to see my 749 posts in two match threads have gone unnoticed. I like flying under the radar.
You might want to consider whether you're really value-adding here.

Personally I think you are, but others obviously haven't noticed. I'm not saying it, but plenty of other people are.

TheJediBrah

Would be interesting to have specific designated threads where forum rules don't apply and you can just abuse the **** out of whoever you want, however you want

Impractical of course and it would probably carry over to the rest of the forum but still would be funny

stephen

Daemon 0/10. Non Aussie/English posting in Ashes forums.
GIMH 2/10. Really stepped up his game for this Ashes.