• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strange commentary thread.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I've generally been fine with Gower but he's never been one to stand out as a particularly memorable or entertaining commentator. I can only hope that this change in direction means Botham is going as well.

On a broader level, I've generally much preferred Sky's commentary over how Channel 9's was but it probably needs a refresh. While I've liked his commentary over the years reckon it's borderline time to move on Holding.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've generally been fine with Gower but he's never been one to stand out as a particularly memorable or entertaining commentator. I can only hope that this change in direction means Botham is going as well.

On a broader level, I've generally much preferred Sky's commentary over how Channel 9's was but it probably needs a refresh. While I've liked his commentary over the years reckon it's borderline time to move on Holding.
Yeah IIRC this is the end for Botham and Gower. At least Sky had the balls to take on some of the furniture when it needed a refresh, whereas Channel 9 did not.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yeah IIRC this is the end for Botham and Gower. At least Sky had the balls to take on some of the furniture when it needed a refresh, whereas Channel 9 did not.
While that's true I don't think that was their problem in the last few years as the changes had happened in organically with Grieg passing away in 2012 and Benaud finishing around the same time and Bill Lawry effectively only doing the Melbourne Test over the last couple of seasons. I think the issue by the end was that the replacements were generally dire.

But Channel 9 sure were conservative with commentary changes over the decades. Stackpole & Tyson were dropped after 85/86 and Max Walker (couldn't stand his commentary) after 90/91 but no one was moved on for decades after that. Greg Chappell left after a few years but that was because he returned to coaching. And once they added Healy & Taylor in 99/00 they basically remained unchanged for over a decade which in hindsight was a big mistake. They should've moved one or two of the old guard on and gradually brought in others to develop them. Instead, because of several changes at the start of the 10s a bunch of new 'talent' was brought in and things went off the rails.

Compton

International Debutant
Holding referred to Root’s bowling in the second innings as “right-arm optimistic”. That was pretty special.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
One of the things about the Sky guys is they've all be commentating for so long. All the English males in the Sky commentary box have been there since 2006. Only people close to resembling a new voice are Isa Guha and Sangakkra. Kind of weird that none of the England generation under Flower ended up in there.

Think there's a decent chance Broad will end up in the Sky box I guess. Cook and Jimmy look set to join Swann on TMS though.

Last edited:

trundler

This may not be the thread for it but I have a question vaguely related to commentary. Does anyone actually care when some extremely specific record is brought up? Like say, the highest 4th wicket partnership for Sri Lanka at Headingley.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
One of the things about the Sky guys is they've all be commentating for so long. All the English males in the Sky commentary box have been there since 2006. Only people close to resembling a new voice are Isa Guha and Sangakkra. Kind of weird that none of the England generation under Flower ended up in there.

Think there's a decent chance Broad will end up in the Sky box I guess. Cook and Jimmy look set to join Swann on TMS though.
Strauss is there tbf

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This may not be the thread for it but I have a question vaguely related to commentary. Does anyone actually care when some extremely specific record is brought up? Like say, the highest 4th wicket partnership for Sri Lanka at Headingley.

I definitely sleep easier knowing that.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbh it's why I watch cricket.

trundler

Guess I was wrong. It's more so the fact that records like that entirely depend on circumstances. Like, if there's a total road on Centurion one day and 2 guys put on 500 runs for a partnership the previous history would hardly be relevant, would it? I enjoy knowing obscure statistics as much as the next nerd on here. But I guess I sort of do see the point now.

morgieb

Hell even no-one from the Vaughan generation ended up in there (Strauss is the closest but I don't think he's done full-time commentary for ages, even this year I've only heard him as the 3rd Man). The most recent retiree in the box (out of those that were full-time internationals) is Nasser.

stephen

Guess I was wrong. It's more so the fact that records like that entirely depend on circumstances. Like, if there's a total road on Centurion one day and 2 guys put on 500 runs for a partnership the previous history would hardly be relevant, would it? I enjoy knowing obscure statistics as much as the next nerd on here. But I guess I sort of do see the point now.
I was just piling on rather than being serious.

Pothas

Yeah I think Broad is an almost certainty to end up with some mind of media career, you would expect him to be good as well.

There are other ones that pop up on the verdict now and again, Trott and I think Prior but you can't really see those sorts of guys ever being main commentators.

Burgey

Yeah I could see Broad being a good media performer tbh. Seems to have a decent sense of humour about him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Chris Woakes will be a natural in the commentary box, albeit he’s only just turned 30 so it might not be for a year or two.

morgieb

Didn't Broad do some commentary for the one-day series Australia and England played last year? Was pretty good I thought.

SillyCowCorner1

Yes please...