• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Australia's opening batsman options

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
This is my ranking of Australia's Test opening batsmen of the last two years:

1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Harris
4. Khawaja
5. Bancroft
6. Renshaw
7. Finch

Change my mind.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As an outsider I can't see why Renshaw is so far out of favour, looked a far better player than most in the time I have seen him.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh, not sure what happened with Renshaw. Looked far more assured than the other options imo

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He ran off to use the dunny in India instead of ****ting his pants like the great Dean Jones would have

TheJediBrah

As an outsider I can't see why Renshaw is so far out of favour, looked a far better player than most in the time I have seen him.
Yeh, not sure what happened with Renshaw. Looked far more assured than the other options imo
He was dropped when he probably shouldn't have been (after Bangladesh tour I think), and then the next summer when selection was wide open in the first 3-4 rounds of the Shield he made about 3 runs. Total. No way he could have been selected after that. Similar thing happened the next time selection was open slather IIRC. He just completely ****s the bed every time it matters.

stephen

It's not quite as dramatic as TJB said but he was scoring 20s and 30s and getting out. The first run of bad form happened when Langer was publicly pushing for Bancroft to be picked and there were about three shield games to that point where he didn't score a lot. Came back at the back end of the season and scored 3 tons and ended up near the top of the shield charts.

Then he got picked to go on the Pakistan tour last year and subsequently was dropped for having a "lack of match practice" by Langer literally because he was unable to play the practice game because he was concussed fielding at short leg (his last competitive match was a couple of months earlier in county cricket). Got sent home from tour while Finch got a run as opener.

Came back and was decent in the first half of the season without getting a hundred but feel away form- wise dramatically in the second half.

He'll be back probably, but I thought Maddinson and Henriques were guaranteed test players as youngsters as well.

stephen

To put it in perspective, Renshaw was as bad as Labuschagne in the shield last summer.

stephen

Actually I just checked hits scores from last season. Scored a lot of 20s all season, indicating he was doing the hard work and then finding a way to get out.

Starfighter

Actually I just checked hits scores from last season. Scored a lot of 20s all season, indicating he was doing the hard work and then finding a way to get out.
Been tending to play around a stiff front leg. Shouldn't be too hard to correct but it hasn't happened.

TheJediBrah

It's not quite as dramatic as TJB said
It really was. First 4 Shield games of 2017/18 when the spot was up for grabs (and ended up with Bancroft):

17, 16 v Victoria
1, 19 v Tasmania
16, 1 v NSW
18, 7 v WA

he literally didn't get to 20 once in 8 innings

Burgey

Bancroft really does look like his favourite item of clothing is a wife beater singlet, doesn't he? Not particularly likeable.

Fwiw I thought he looked pretty good last night though, until he got out. Didn't need to play at the ball either, but it was a very good spell first up from Broad in particular.

TheJediBrah

It was a shocking dismissal though. Short of a length, didn't move and he's somehow edged it to slip? Pretty ordinary.

Burgey

It was a shocking dismissal though. Short of a length, didn't move and he's somehow edged it to slip? Pretty ordinary.
Yeah, I thought I made it clear I wasn't commenting on the dismissal, which was Harris-level ******, but rather on how he looked before it. Seemed pretty compact and happy to play late. Which made the dismissal all the worse.

Fact is TPC just makes mortals look really bad. And Bancroft is more mortal than most.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
So Renshaw went all Hameed then.
More or less. It just shows the pitfalls of bringing a young player with minimal FC experience and straight away annointing them as the next best thing, when things go a bit wrong the weight of scrutiny is very high. Same reason I am glad Australia didn't pick Pucovski.

Yeah I know Puc isn't an opener but the point stands